Thinking about an M6... thoughts??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grocery getter
Nice wheels on your 996 BTW

Regarding the M6.....

I had the opportunity to drive in one at a track event last week. I was impressed with the car as being a touring car as compared to being a sports car (ala 996). The engine note is unbelievable, handles well for a 3900 lb car, the interior is beautiful (with full leather) but the exterior is just ok for 100g. Sooooo, tough call but I would keep the 996
Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vic55
Figured you of all people... The game is good on the TT but I am done modding that car. Plus I am not out for the fastest car or the M6 wouldnt be a consideration- a Z06 would.
That CL65 Renntech has me thinking again though
If that's the case my vote goes for either the CL65 or SL65. I agree about the Z06 but then again it seems like it'll be a step down. Although the Z06 is the best bang for your buck. Do either the CL65 or SL65 and get it Rennteched or Kleemannized!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Unlike a lot of people commenting on the M5 and M6's performance, I actually OWN an M5 and drive it nearly every day. It has to be the most fun I've ever had in a car, and I've driven a lot of cars. Sure it doesn't have the crushing torque a 55 or 65 have, but it makes up for that in sheer excitement behind the wheel.

There are a million toys and gadgets to explore in the car, and it takes weeks, nay months to figure out how to use them all to the best of your abilities. Anyone who knocks the SMG just hasn't spent enough time with it. Come for a ride with me and I'll show you just how smooth and live-able it is. The GF and I had a bad spell on friday, and the yowl of the ///M V10 was the one thing that kept a smile on my face all weekend. The engine is INSANE and the exhaust note is just out of this world at full chat. 8400 rpm is a trip and watching the needle bounce off that limiter never gets old. I could only imagine the insanity of the M6. Some may say that the engine has nothing low end, and I would almost agree were it not for the standing burnouts I was doing in Brooklyn Saturday after the Bloc Party concert. 380lb/ft is not what you'd expect from a supercar, but its all about the driver, and how much you can learn to exploit the abilities of the car. If you're looking for something new, and just want to be ENGAGED by your automobile, give the M6 a shot.

BTW, go for the white/indy red combo. So sexy.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Vic,

I was so excited when I heard about the announcement of the V10 E60 M5. I was #1 or #2 on the list (cant remember) at a dealership I dealt with. I eventually cancelled my order when I learned more about the motor and car.

What turned me off was the very low torque readings for such a big motor. It just wouldnt be fun to drive in the city when you are going from stop ligh to stop light. I knew I would of been bored with it quickly, and that's why I don't think you would enjoy it also.

I can imagine the traffic in Cali is alot worse than I deal with here, so I dont think you will get much opportunity to wind it up in 3rd gear at 8,000RPM...

Stick with the E55 for the sedan, and get yourself a fun 2door to blast around with... Did you ever consider the Ultima GTR ????
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Ultima GTR is fast but ugly and has not go any comfort or interior feature...only for track...

Galliardo + TWIN TURBO that would be real FUN...
Old 07-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Unlike a lot of people commenting on the M5 and M6's performance, I actually OWN an M5 and drive it nearly every day. It has to be the most fun I've ever had in a car, and I've driven a lot of cars. Sure it doesn't have the crushing torque a 55 or 65 have, but it makes up for that in sheer excitement behind the wheel.

There are a million toys and gadgets to explore in the car, and it takes weeks, nay months to figure out how to use them all to the best of your abilities. Anyone who knocks the SMG just hasn't spent enough time with it. Come for a ride with me and I'll show you just how smooth and live-able it is. The GF and I had a bad spell on friday, and the yowl of the ///M V10 was the one thing that kept a smile on my face all weekend. The engine is INSANE and the exhaust note is just out of this world at full chat. 8400 rpm is a trip and watching the needle bounce off that limiter never gets old. I could only imagine the insanity of the M6. Some may say that the engine has nothing low end, and I would almost agree were it not for the standing burnouts I was doing in Brooklyn Saturday after the Bloc Party concert. 380lb/ft is not what you'd expect from a supercar, but its all about the driver, and how much you can learn to exploit the abilities of the car. If you're looking for something new, and just want to be ENGAGED by your automobile, give the M6 a shot.

BTW, go for the white/indy red combo. So sexy.

You guys are all f'in strong with your opinions, much respect and kudos. What was mentioned above by Cylinder is something I have heard before from other owners of the M5 (E60) and some of them were or still are owners of the 55k engine. Thanks for your thoughts.

I guess at this point it has be a pretty good overall car to be worth 100k as many of you have mentioned. The Lambo (used) sounds like something to look into as well. The Z06 is a just a freaking beast but thats pretty much it right? Like Kleiv said about his car, I can do the remaining mods on my TT if I want the super beast. Its really just boiling down to wanting something new- I can't trade in my job (well I dont want to) or my wife (I am stuck but happy there) but I can change the car. The 997tt tip is enticing but I will not pay the markup's the stealers are asking for- I can just wait for it to hit the depreciation cycle like all other cars endure.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for keeping an open mind, Vic.

I plan on (eventually, if my heart can take it) selling my Supra and acquiring an E55 or CLS55 to compliment my M car. The M is not as "comfy" as a Merc being basically an F1 sedan, and I lovelovelove the torque of the supercharged engine. The cars are distinctly different enough to justify owning one of each.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
If I had 2 Mercedes and a Porsche already, my choices will be:

Used Gallardo or Black M6 with burgundy interior and black 20" wheels...

I wish I had a dilema like this... whatever choice you make, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed...
Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 PM

Clk Black Series
i'm sure you wouldnt be upset if you did get the m6, i love my alpine white/sepang/olive interior m6. i'm alomst in the same situation right now, where i've had my 03 s55 w/k2 for 2yrs now and i have the itch to get something new. although, i still want to have a 4door car. so my options are kind of limited for something big and fast. here are a few pics of my m6

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2397202
Old 07-31-2006, 01:42 PM

C230K, downgrade :(
Get the M6 and give me your 996
Old 07-31-2006, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Why don't you go crazy on something? How about a Corvette or Supra modded to 1000+ hp? And just turn down boost for city driving. Would be fun.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:10 PM

'06 E55 Black/Charcoal
I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about Gallardo's, in fact I know alot of Porsche guys that go that direction.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Almost a Member!

M5, R1
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
Its your choice man...why you dont like M5 ???

I like my M5 but it's a little bit to big for me and uses a lot of fuel. I only drive in the city so a M3 or Porsche is a better choice for me.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kleiv
I like my M5 but it's a little bit to big for me and uses a lot of fuel. I only drive in the city so a M3 or Porsche is a better choice for me.
That's one thing I forgot to mention. I flogged the living hell out of the car this saturday and had to fill up my tank TWICE in the same day. One can attribute this to the relatively tiny tank (16 gallons) and the fact that I keep it in power mode/ S5/S6 at all times.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
That's one thing I forgot to mention. I flogged the living hell out of the car this saturday and had to fill up my tank TWICE in the same day. One can attribute this to the relatively tiny tank (16 gallons) and the fact that I keep it in power mode/ S5/S6 at all times.
I feel you, been there a few times. Although my M5 seemed to suck up gas more than the M6 (only marginally), perhaps the less weight?

I personally love my M6 and should have my wheels here tomorrow. VIC, my M6 is lowered so I'll take a few pics of the car with 20' Radenergie R10 and post.

My wife and I decided we needed a sedan (sold the M5 recently) since she didn't want to lug the Escallade all the time when the kids are at their grandparent's. I was really, really, really pushing her for a CLS55 or E63 but she wanted an all year round car (we get snow here ) so she made me plunk down a deposit on the Audi S6, should be here in Oct...not all that excited to be honest with you since I much rather have plunked my funds on a S8 instead.

Going back to the topic, you really should drive the M6 and just see for yourself. A test drive really won't do any justice and anyone that knocks the SMG really hasn't had time with it and frankly I won't buy another manual if SMG or DSG is avail...IT'S INTOXICATING to shift at 8300RPM in S6/P500S, tranny feels like it dropped. Good luck on your decision and BEAUTIFUL 996 you got there!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
I feel you, been there a few times. Although my M5 seemed to suck up gas more than the M6 (only marginally), perhaps the less weight?

I personally love my M6 and should have my wheels here tomorrow. VIC, my M6 is lowered so I'll take a few pics of the car with 20' Radenergie R10 and post.

My wife and I decided we needed a sedan (sold the M5 recently) since she didn't want to lug the Escallade all the time when the kids are at their grandparent's. I was really, really, really pushing her for a CLS55 or E63 but she wanted an all year round car (we get snow here ) so she made me plunk down a deposit on the Audi S6, should be here in Oct...not all that excited to be honest with you since I much rather have plunked my funds on a S8 instead.

Going back to the topic, you really should drive the M6 and just see for yourself. A test drive really won't do any justice and anyone that knocks the SMG really hasn't had time with it and frankly I won't buy another manual if SMG or DSG is avail...IT'S INTOXICATING to shift at 8300RPM in S6/P500S, tranny feels like it dropped. Good luck on your decision and BEAUTIFUL 996 you got there!
Thanks for the reply can you give me your thoughts on direct comparo's between your E55 and the M6. I know all about the low end torque and handling disparities but is there anything else. You are the first that I have heard that has both cars so your opinion is most welcome.
Pics please !!!! How much do the Radenergie wheels weigh?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
i would definitely not trade any 996 for a m6
but if you do, you gotta get 22in wheels and brembos all around
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
NEVER A CABRIO!!!!

Your wife has 3 M3s now? Wow!!
Nope, typo. She's had 3. Guess I had 2, 3 or 8 glasses of red wine too many.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by AMG_55
i would definitely not trade any 996 for a m6
but if you do, you gotta get 22in wheels and brembos all around

Im with amg 55, if you think you are tired of the TT after two years you'll be bored with the m6 in 3 months coming from a TT Porsche. If you really feel the need to scratch that new toy itch get something totally crazy like an 800hp supra or the z 06. At least with these cars when the inevible itch returns in a few years you'll get most of your money back. That m6 will depreciate like a kia.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Don't sell the turbo! I'm still trying to figure out why I made that mistake. However, if you're set on the idea, an M6 isn't a bad place to put your money. Just don't expect quite the same handling and change out the twin-pot brakes if your ever thinking of hitting the track. Make sure you'll be able to live with SMG too, my friend had so many problems BMW bought it back from him at the ridiculous 20t over list he'd paid. That being said, it's one hell of an engine. I suggest black on black.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Don't sell the turbo! I'm still trying to figure out why I made that mistake. However, if you're set on the idea, an M6 isn't a bad place to put your money. Just don't expect quite the same handling and change out the twin-pot brakes if your ever thinking of hitting the track. Make sure you'll be able to live with SMG too, my friend had so many problems BMW bought it back from him at the ridiculous 20t over list he'd paid. That being said, it's one hell of an engine. I suggest black on black.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:46 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Here's my M6 on 20 inch Radenergie R10s. Car's been lowered 1inch with H&R Springs. Exhaust is Eisenmann (stock tips are a bit smaller - I don't recomment this exhaust if you don't like the car loud)

To be fair, I don't own the E55 anymore. To compare the two cars it's almost night and day since they're really apples and oranges. One's an awesome Sedan while the other is a Grand Tourer. E55 would def. be my sedan of choice for daily driving, even over the M5.

I was comparing my M6 more to my buddy's CLS55 and for various reasons I prefer the M6. I won't get into handling, feedback, etc. since we all know who takes the cake.
While the M6 may lack the low end "punch" of the 55K motor, the AMG won't "run away" from the M, but will certainly beat it for sure off the line. There are many back and forth debates about who's faster from a roll but that's so hard to determine since there are many many factors involved. If you like flying past 100MPH then the M6 is the winner. If you like brutally beating other cars from stop light to stop light, the AMG really can't be touched! Transmission, the SMG is FAR better than the 5speed or 7G. The SMG shifts instantly while the auto thinks about it then reacts. I know there are many people knocking the SMG, but those folks have never really had extensive seat time IMO. I would take SMG/DSG over manual any day. The M's seats are more snug while the AMGs are more comfortable. Fit and Finish (if you get full leather package) the M's look really astonoshing. The motor sounds AWESOME in the M but the AMGs S/C whinning is great melody as well. The cars are so similar yet so different...if that makes any sense.

Best thing to do is really drive the M6 and see, although a test drive won't really tell you much about the car IMO
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about an M6... thoughts??-dsc00003.jpg   Thinking about an M6... thoughts??-dsc00001.jpg   Thinking about an M6... thoughts??-dsc00002.jpg  
Old 08-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
Here's my M6 on 20 inch Radenergie R10s. Car's been lowered 1inch with H&R Springs. Exhaust is Eisenmann (stock tips are a bit smaller - I don't recomment this exhaust if you don't like the car loud)

To be fair, I don't own the E55 anymore. To compare the two cars it's almost night and day since they're really apples and oranges. One's an awesome Sedan while the other is a Grand Tourer. E55 would def. be my sedan of choice for daily driving, even over the M5.

I was comparing my M6 more to my buddy's CLS55 and for various reasons I prefer the M6. I won't get into handling, feedback, etc. since we all know who takes the cake.
While the M6 may lack the low end "punch" of the 55K motor, the AMG won't "run away" from the M, but will certainly beat it for sure off the line. There are many back and forth debates about who's faster from a roll but that's so hard to determine since there are many many factors involved. If you like flying past 100MPH then the M6 is the winner. If you like brutally beating other cars from stop light to stop light, the AMG really can't be touched! Transmission, the SMG is FAR better than the 5speed or 7G. The SMG shifts instantly while the auto thinks about it then reacts. I know there are many people knocking the SMG, but those folks have never really had extensive seat time IMO. I would take SMG/DSG over manual any day. The M's seats are more snug while the AMGs are more comfortable. Fit and Finish (if you get full leather package) the M's look really astonoshing. The motor sounds AWESOME in the M but the AMGs S/C whinning is great melody as well. The cars are so similar yet so different...if that makes any sense.

Best thing to do is really drive the M6 and see, although a test drive won't really tell you much about the car IMO

Good write up! Your M6 looks SICK with those wheels! What's the weights on your wheels front/rear? I love them!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I would like to retract my previous insulting statement regarding the M6. I have finally seen one that looks awesome!!

Well done!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Some people might not like the rear end, but I think it's a thing of beauty. With the AC-Schnitzer body kit the car looks more agressive and less egg shaped.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an M6... thoughts??