Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLR engine photos for Vrus

Old 08-02-2006, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by vrus
The SLR Intercoolers is the very next thing that I will be doing after the CF intake boxes are done.

I too agree that these style intercoolers are worth big power.. I've heard people say 60 - 80hp so that would EASILY put me at the 700hp mark.

I can purchase original SLR intercooler system for $16,400CDN. Depending on how well these current projects go, the vendors & people that are currently helping me/working with me, may be able to pull off creating a system like this.

I told them if they can pull it off and I can provide a $5,999 Retail price to go ahead with it. My pricing model is quite simple.. Aim for 50% of the going rate.
SLR Intercooler for $5,999...
You can put me down as your first order..
Old 08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Done! Your name is officially occupying Spot #2... hehehe.. Remember, I get Spot #1 on everything!! LOL...

Originally Posted by MB_Steve
Old 08-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dragonAMG
This is what KLEEMANN has to say abou the SLR style intercooler system vs. the stock AMG 55 intercooler setup:

"The AMG intercooler core has a 5 PSI pressure drop over the core, which means you're loosing 5 PSI boost pressure after the charge air goes over the intercooler core, so in all reality, you're not REALLY getting the 13 PSI into the combustion chamber. The IC will also have a much higher cooling capacity, coupled with a less than 1 PSI pressure drop should equate into some awesome gains. Increase in boost pressure, reduction in inlet temperatures equal nice HP and TQ gains."
If there is a five psi drop through the IC, then the stock pulley setup must be making 16+ psi going into the IC. IIRC, other members of the forum have tapped into their intake manifolds and measured boost in the 12 psi range. And if the pressure drop in the SLR ICs is only one psi, then they could actually be using a larger S/C pulley. In fact, the crank pulley could be a different size, too. Those pulley measurements are going to be very interesting.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Originally Posted by MB_Steve

I take second place
Old 08-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
See what I mean.. I told you the SC pulley looked bigger..

I'm dying for Siswati to post.. But, he's having too much fun right now flogging AMG's all around Lime Rock.. Lucky Bugger!!!!

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
If there is a five psi drop through the IC, then the stock pulley setup must be making 16+ psi going into the IC. IIRC, other members of the forum have tapped into their intake manifolds and measured boost in the 12 psi range. And if the pressure drop in the SLR ICs is only one psi, then they could actually be using a larger S/C pulley. In fact, the crank pulley could be a different size, too. Those pulley measurements are going to be very interesting.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Hi Vic,

Add me to the SLR intercooler upgrade, I'm #4 I think.

MachC5
Old 08-02-2006, 07:15 PM

woudnt the star restrict some airflow? remove the badge and viola, 20 more horses
Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hi Victor and all interested parties

Sorry but I was unable to do any measurements of the pullies - I ended up arriving at th Graduate Challenge late due to a tree downage from the major storm that cut short Tuesday's AMG Challenge day.

But I did get some more pics - unfortunately there was a pole supporting the SLR airbox directly in front of the engine, and with my pissy point and shoot I had to shoot from a slight offset on either side of the pole. So you have pics with a right offset and a left offset.

Sorry about the measurements - I know how much you wanted them but I am sure that with the pics you can use some element as a reference.

Hope you you realise how privileged you are - you are getting these pics even before I write my report on todays event and lament on the fact that once again I came up short on my own personal quest - my quest for that stinking watch ...... today I missed the IWC Ingeneur watch by 7/100's of a second! Heartbroken again ....LOL!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Question Clone Me

Awesome photos Siswati, thanks for the privilege.

Victor, please put me down for IC kit number 5.

If one could get a set on loan for a couple of days... I could pass them on to a mate who is an aircraft parts engineer with a fully equipped workshop who could easily produce a like copy (maybe a not as pretty clone) for much less than what MB'z is asking for. You guys in the U.S could take advantage of the week Ausi dollar to further reduce the cost. Check his link out.

http://www.robblack.com.au/

This guy" Rob Black" use to produce parts for for Ausi MB'z trucks and WRX after market Inter-coolers on a large scale. I don't think the SLR IC would be a challenge for Rob. Anyway just thinking out aloud...Also.... I know this guy personally and he's a top bloke.

Anyway would be interesting to know all the inlet and TB specs as well.

Mmmm.... a lot of synergy going on here...

Oh yeah... the pulleys look stock to me...I think ?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Siswati,

You are a good man and I thank you for all the work in getting us the photos!!

It's too bad we couldn't get the measurements, but, maybe someone who is attending the next AMG Challenge can help us to complete the mission that you started.

I was hoping to logon last night but just after dinner we lost power in our neighbourhood until 3:30AM this morning... Really bad storm last night...

Sorry to hear about you missing that watch! Keep at it.. I am sure you will WIN IT the next time out!

Take care and thanks again!!!

Originally Posted by siswati
Hi Victor and all interested parties

Sorry but I was unable to do any measurements of the pullies - I ended up arriving at th Graduate Challenge late due to a tree downage from the major storm that cut short Tuesday's AMG Challenge day.

But I did get some more pics - unfortunately there was a pole supporting the SLR airbox directly in front of the engine, and with my pissy point and shoot I had to shoot from a slight offset on either side of the pole. So you have pics with a right offset and a left offset.

Sorry about the measurements - I know how much you wanted them but I am sure that with the pics you can use some element as a reference.

Hope you you realise how privileged you are - you are getting these pics even before I write my report on todays event and lament on the fact that once again I came up short on my own personal quest - my quest for that stinking watch ...... today I missed the IWC Ingeneur watch by 7/100's of a second! Heartbroken again ....LOL!!!
Hey Wayne,

I've got my parts guy pushing AMG Germany for "special" pricing on 5 kits of the SLR Intercooler system.. I am asking for the 2 tanks and the supercharger oulet piping. All the other parts & hoses I will assemble and purchase on my own to complete the changeover.. It never hurts to ask, so, we'll see what they come back with.

I've got a good relationship with AMG Germany now.. I heard a rumour from our contact here in Toronto... It turns out the guys @ AMG in Germany were asking questions about who "The 2 guys are in Toronto that are ordering all these special AMG parts... " .. LOL... I guess we are getting famous now..

Originally Posted by Finny
Victor, please put me down for IC kit number 5.

If one could get a set on loan for a couple of days... I could pass them on to a mate who is an aircraft parts engineer with a fully equipped workshop who could easily produce a like copy (maybe a not as pretty clone) for much less than what MB'z is asking for. You guys in the U.S could take advantage of the week Ausi dollar to further reduce the cost. Check his link out.

http://www.robblack.com.au/

This guy" Rob Black" use to produce parts for for Ausi MB'z trucks and WRX after market Inter-coolers on a large scale. I don't think the SLR IC would be a challenge for Rob. Anyway just thinking out aloud...Also.... I know this guy personally and he's a top bloke.

Anyway would be interesting to know all the inlet and TB specs as well.

Mmmm.... a lot of synergy going on here...

Oh yeah... the pulleys look stock to me...I think ?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:13 PM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Cool

I've got a good relationship with AMG Germany now.. I heard a rumour from our contact here in Toronto... It turns out the guys @ AMG in Germany were asking questions about who "The 2 guys are in Toronto that are ordering all these special AMG parts... " .. LOL... I guess we are getting famous now..
Yeah! so they better look after us!

How about the whole induction kit?

I reckon SLR IC's are "key" to unlocking massive power. This is going to test the HP quest!

Just thinking, if there is only 1lb resistance on these twins, imagine the poundage with the pulley!!! ****! I reckon the rods will pop out the side of the block. So fellers... start saving for that create engine...
Old 08-03-2006, 12:35 PM

It's too bad we couldn't get the measurements, but, maybe someone who is attending the next AMG Challenge can help us to complete the mission that you started.
Try this:

Measure the center-to-center distance between the two holes (A & B in the pic below) on your engine. A quick measurement on the pic with my NIST-traceable plastic ruler shows that the crank pulley is 38% of this measurement and the S/C pulley is 21.5%. This should give you a reasonable estimate of how the pulley sizes compare between engines.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Just got off the phone with my parts guy..

SLR Crank is different P/N and we can buy them if we need to.. He is trying to get me the pulley diameter.

SC pulley is SAME PART # to E55 SC pulley... Hmm.. that's strange... At least now we know that is the same.

Grumpy: You had to pick the 2 most inaccessible parts didnt you.. LOL.. I wont be able to get to those 2 parts of the car without getting it on a hoist, but, that is a great idea... Next time my car goes up in the air, I'll get the measurement! Good thinking!

Try this:

Measure the center-to-center distance between the two holes (A & B in the pic below) on your engine. A quick measurement on the pic with my NIST-traceable plastic ruler shows that the crank pulley is 38% of this measurement and the S/C pulley is 21.5%. This should give you a reasonable estimate of how the pulley sizes compare between engines.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:09 PM

03 E55 AMG
I calculate about 168 mm
Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 PM

SC pulley is SAME PART # to E55 SC pulley... Hmm.. that's strange... At least now we know that is the same.

Grumpy: You had to pick the 2 most inaccessible parts didnt you.. LOL.. I wont be able to get to those 2 parts of the car without getting it on a hoist, but, that is a great idea... Next time my car goes up in the air, I'll get the measurement! Good thinking!
Jeeze, Louise - - - would you like some cheese with that whine?

OK - now that we know the S/C pulley is the same, we only need the crank pulley measurement - we don't need the reference measurement. BTW, I picked that location because it's the widest fixed-reference in the pic, which would minimize measurement error. Does anyone have a stock crank pulley lying about? From the pic, the S/C pulley is 57% of the crank pulley.

So, if the SLR does indeed have more boost, then we should expect the crank pulley to be slightly larger than stock (maybe MB is getting them from Renntech ).

If it's not bigger than stock, then maybe you should listen to that annoying, little voice in the back of your head - you know, the one that keeps distracting you - what does it say now? I know it's not: "I am your father, Luke." Oh well, it'll come to me later.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Yeah! so they better look after us!

I reckon SLR IC's are "key" to unlocking massive power. This is going to test the HP quest!
This is absolutely the key - I was chatting over luch at the AMG Graduate Challenge with GJ (mercedestuner on this site) - he is an almost full time racer and the lead guy on the SLR / Maybach chassis station at a new york dealer, and his comment to me about our 55k motors was just plain and simple......

Until you get the intercoolers out from under the blower you will never unlock the SLR performance.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:48 AM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up

I think were getting a little closer now....
Old 08-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Funny! I see you're getting funnier in your old age!

I'll get the data over the weekend.. I've got my stock crank pulley somewhere in the garage...

Jeeze, Louise - - - would you like some cheese with that whine?

OK - now that we know the S/C pulley is the same, we only need the crank pulley measurement - we don't need the reference measurement. BTW, I picked that location because it's the widest fixed-reference in the pic, which would minimize measurement error. Does anyone have a stock crank pulley lying about? From the pic, the S/C pulley is 57% of the crank pulley.

So, if the SLR does indeed have more boost, then we should expect the crank pulley to be slightly larger than stock (maybe MB is getting them from Renntech ).

If it's not bigger than stock, then maybe you should listen to that annoying, little voice in the back of your head - you know, the one that keeps distracting you - what does it say now? I know it's not: "I am your father, Luke." Oh well, it'll come to me later.
Well.. At least I know the guy you were talking to knows what he is talking about... Absolutely.. Heat in this car is a B***H... Why MB decided to stick that cooler below the SC is beyond me.

I'll post some info in a little bit...

Originally Posted by siswati
This is absolutely the key - I was chatting over luch at the AMG Graduate Challenge with GJ (mercedestuner on this site) - he is an almost full time racer and the lead guy on the SLR / Maybach chassis station at a new york dealer, and his comment to me about our 55k motors was just plain and simple......

Until you get the intercoolers out from under the blower you will never unlock the SLR performance.

Ahh.. You are getting that feeling too?? If I manage to get a hold of those coolers for a few days we are all set.

I think were getting a little closer now....
Old 08-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Got some info back from AMG Germany.. We spoke to the guy that handles the SLR so he knows what he is talking about..

Retail price for each SLR intercooler side is $10,114CDN so that is $20,228CDN for both intercoolers.

The cast output piece that mounts under the SC and connects to the 2 intercoolers is NOT available as a separate part. They sell the WHOLE SC assembly as 1 unit.... The whole SLR SC with the integrated output pipe is: $11,000CDN..

That means we would need $31,228CDN - 10% discount (they were generous enough to offer a discount to us) = roughly $28,000CDN = $24,500USD.

Now, keep in mind that is just the bare intercoolers & the SC.. We would still need the plumbing, 2 pumps, and some miscellaneous hardware...

We would basically have to get our hands on 1 complete unit, do some R&D on it to see if some parts can be fabricated, and then sell off the pieces afterwards..

Its a big chunk of change so it will make it pretty difficult to R&D this one and come up with another solution.

But, I have to say that any of you guys who were contemplating on purchasing the MKB or Renntech or other tuner's solution, you can spend that same money and get the authentic AMG parts for $25,000USD and have a SPARE blower.... LOL ..

Last edited by vrus; 08-04-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 PM

03 E55 AMG
Question Alternative Plumbing Questions

So... we have all inherited a 30k bottleneck... What now?

Perhaps work on a way to increase the efficiency of the exchanger. How about reducing it's size by half, double the water flow and increase radiator size?

What about those big mother air/water chillers used on turbo ricers, is it worth "pre chilling" the air in and do with out the bottleneck?

Brainstorm here...?

Victor, Just curios... would you know the cost of a SLR create motor?

Last edited by Finny; 08-04-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:26 PM

03 E55 AMG
SLR in an E55

Check this link out...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/...in-an-e-class/

Oh yeah!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I need more time to think about this... Although, I came within a hair of just telling him to order the whole damn thing and put it on my credit card, but I backed off... Dont want to act to hastily.

Besides, what the heck am I gonna do with a spare blower???

Maybe I'll go have a few drinks and see what ideas the mind will come up with...

SLR crate motor.. Are you sitting down????? .. I'll wait while you grab a chair... You sitting yet? .................. $80,000 USD!!!

For reference, the E55 crate motor is $40,000USD. Wanna split an SLR crate motor with me???? LOL...

So... we have all inherited a 30k bottleneck... What now?

Perhaps work on a way to increase the efficiency of the exchanger. How about reducing it's size by half, double the water flow and increase radiator size?

What about those big mother air/water chillers used on turbo ricers, is it worth "pre chilling" the air in and do with out the bottleneck?

Brainstorm here...?

Victor, Just curios... would you know the cost of a SLR create motor?
haahha.. That's the Bin Sulayem Performance car.. He created the SLK55 w/SLR motor and E55 w/SLR motor.. That's the same pic that I posted earlier in the thread when I was explained to JakPro1 about the air intake at the base of the windshield..

Code:
Check this link out... 

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/...in-an-e-class/

Oh yeah!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:58 PM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up

Was just looking at the 55 induction blowapart... if you gut out the existing intercooler inlet then modify the angle of the air outlet... then the two SLR ic's would just bolt on. Chuck the old air filters then plumb 2 x BMC carbon dynamic airboxes up front...

Of course... add the 80mm and cold water mods.

Wishful thinking of the day...

Did anyone notice that the SLR and 55 s/c's are visibly different?

Attachment 87860
Attachment 87859

Last edited by Finny; 09-09-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
That's an interesting idea.. I am sure that the outlet pipe diameter on the intercooler we have is the same size as the piping on the black cast iron piece that the SLR uses...

What is picture #2 above of? is that a Vendor's custom creation??

We spoke with the parst guy again to see if we can get him to budge but that is really the best they can do for us. He did tell us that he could give us the NEW SLR intercoolers for that same price.. McLaren has actually revised them and the old Part #'s now are superceeded.. They changed them when they built the SLR 722 Special Edition.

We would be able to purchase those newer versions for the same price I quoted above..

Hmm... If I can sell a few exhuasts, a few CF airboxes, and a few TB kits and mark up each one a little bit... Hmmm.. Might be able to raise enough cash to purchase one of these to R&D...

What do you think Finny... Sell another 50 TB kits and then have enough dough to buy the SLR coolers??? LOL...

Was just looking at the 55 induction blowapart... if you gut out the existing intercooler inlet then modify the angle of the air outlet... then the two SLR ic's would just bolt on. Chuck the old air filters then plumb 2 x BMC carbon dynamic airboxes up front...

Of course... add the 80mm and cold water mods.

Wishful thinking of the day...

Did anyone notice that the SLR and 55 s/c's are visibly different?

Attachment 87860
Attachment 87859
Old 08-09-2006, 06:03 PM

What is picture #2 above of? is that a Vendor's custom creation??
That looks to be a bottom view of a passenger-side SLR intercooler. It looks like MB has incorporated the IC and intake manifold into one piece. Do the openings at the bottom of the unit look like they match up with the intake ports of the head?

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I think there are pipes exiting the S/C outlet and running under the S/C where the IC used to be that feed both ICs. The charge then flows over the cooling coils and directly into the head. Looks like a nice setup.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLR engine photos for Vrus