Sponsored by:

Had my car dyno'd today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
Had my car dyno'd today

I threw my car on the dyno because I have been so upset with the "lack" of power the car seems to have. I wanted some numbers to see if it was true or not. I don't think I could have picked a worse day to do it either. It was 90+ outside and pretty humid.

The car was on a dynapack. I don't know a whole lot about the different types of dyno's out there. My hp numbers were between 420 and 424. I don't know exact numbers because the shop I had it done at just switched to a wireless system and they weren't able to print out my graphs for me. Also, he said it had to be done in 3rd gear due to their software with the dyno.

Let me know if those numbers seem alright. Like I said, I don't know much about the different dyno's meaning I don't know if the dynapack is usually higher or lower than others. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Those number are on the high end for a stock E55
Old 08-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynopack's direct-coupling setup takes the tires out of the equation. With proper calibration, it should measure similar to other dynos, but w/o the worry of tire slippage. You didn't mention if environmental corrections were applied. If they were, then your car is in the upper range for a stock car. But, coming away with just a HP number doesn't cut it. You need to go back to them and request printouts of the torque and A/F ratio curves at a minimum. Also request any corrections info. I would also be interested in knowing how their software limits you to using third gear for your pull. Are you down under?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 PM

2003 E55
Grumpy,

Im in Illinois. I didn't inquire about the software, I trusted that he knew what he was talking about. He said he will email me my dyno graphs on Friday and I will be able to come up with more solid info then. Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
My experience with Dynapacks is that they are a tad on the conservative side. Not as much as a Mustang, but it is still a load-bearing system. They are excellent for repeatability due to factors mentioned above, as well as improper strapping methods. I've seen a Dynojet operator loosen straps and pick up 10hp....no other changes.

I have a hunch that the correction for the 3rd gear run might not be optimal. The further you get away from 1:1 gear ratio while dynoing the car, the more CF need be applied.

Today was also one of the hottest days of the year in Chicagoland; SAE or STD correction for atmospherics might have been skewed slightly.

Just my $.02

Last edited by ChicagoX; 08-02-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I thought you need to Dyno your car on 4 gear ???