W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes center caps for BBS wheels (How to...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Mercedes center caps for BBS wheels (How to...)

I have had several inquiries about my Mercedes center caps so I thought I would share how I was able to use them on my car instead of the BBS caps.

The problem:

Mercedes center caps are ~76mm while the BBS cap is 70mm. You can see from the first picture the size difference. I looked high and low but could not find a manufacturer that makes a Mercedes star for a BBS wheel. If anyone knows of a company that makes them, please let us know.

The solution:

I married the Mercedes cap to the BBS cap. First, you need to find the Mercedes cap you want to use. You can use them from your oem wheels or Ebay has a huge selection ($20-50). Next, you need to cut the prongs off the back of the MB caps and sand the back portion to smooth the plastic. I used an electric sander to complete this step and when you are done the back is slightly concave (picture two). Then, drill several holes through your BBS caps and roughen the surface (picture two). The final step is to glue (I used a good automotive epoxy) the MB cap over the top of the BBS cap. Make sure the epoxy flows into the perforation you made in the BBS caps. Use clamps if possible to keep both caps in intimate contact and centered while they dry.

After it sets you can snap your new center cap into your BBS wheels (final photo). I think it integrates nicely but it is a bit of a pain to complete.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes center caps for BBS wheels (How to...)-momo-001.jpg   Mercedes center caps for BBS wheels (How to...)-momo-002.jpg   Mercedes center caps for BBS wheels (How to...)-momo-016.jpg  
Old 08-17-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 - Ruf BTR - Cayenne Turbo - Lola T70 spyder
Thanks!!!

and great mod, Rock

My LM wheels get her next week and I am excited to complete the look with MB caps.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
That looks really good.
Congrats!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

F248 F1
WOW!!! those caps make the wheels WOW!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Bbs Ftw.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I had to do something similar (but opposite) to put HRE centercaps into used wheels where a larger hole was bored out to accomodate the OEM centercap. In my case, the shop used a blank OEM sized cap, cut out a hole the size of the HRE cap, and stuck the two together. The end result was surprisingly good. I don't have any pictures of the process, but here's how it turned out...

Mercedes center caps for BBS wheels (How to...)-hrecustomcap.jpg