Mechanical O2 simulators installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ to list......
Mechanical O2 simulators installed

After 3 hrs laying on my back while the car is on ramps, I 've managed to put the simulators on the car. Searching various forums, I've found that mechanical ones are probably best for our cars. Here's what you are going to need to get the job done.

1. Ramps or full car lift
2. HELP spark plug anti fouler 42002 (One pack contains 2)
3. 8mm Adjustable Wrench
4. 10mm wrench
5. 8mm socket and 3/8 rachet
6. Hex keys
7. LOTS of patience

I didn't take any pictures of the process, because I was doing it by myself, but it would be better if you have a partner with you, for handing you tools, ciggarettes, beer, soda, etc., so you won't be like me climbing in and out of the car getting above mentioned items and save yourself a lot of time. What you want is to sandwich the simulator in between the bung located on the header and the sensor, so the sensor sniffs way less exhaust than before, this is for those who have removed the primary cats. So far I've only driven the car after the install for about 20 mins on both highways and local, so far no CEL came up, but the car does take time to get used to the new setup so if your car sounds like it's going to stall, don't do anything, because the ECU is simply adjusting the value within it and the car will go back to normal idling. If there's any question, feel free to PM me. Happy modding.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:33 AM

996TT
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
After 3 hrs laying on my back while the car is on ramps, I 've managed to put the simulators on the car. Searching various forums, I've found that mechanical ones are probably best for our cars. Here's what you are going to need to get the job done.

1. Ramps or full car lift
2. HELP spark plug anti fouler 42002 (One pack contains 2)
3. 8mm Adjustable Wrench
4. 10mm wrench
5. 8mm socket and 3/8 rachet
6. Hex keys
7. LOTS of patience

I didn't take any pictures of the process, because I was doing it by myself, but it would be better if you have a partner with you, for handing you tools, ciggarettes, beer, soda, etc., so you won't be like me climbing in and out of the car getting above mentioned items and save yourself a lot of time. What you want is to sandwich the simulator in between the bung located on the header and the sensor, so the sensor sniffs way less exhaust than before, this is for those who have removed the primary cats. So far I've only driven the car after the install for about 20 mins on both highways and local, so far no CEL came up, but the car does take time to get used to the new setup so if your car sounds like it's going to stall, don't do anything, because the ECU is simply adjusting the value within it and the car will go back to normal idling. If there's any question, feel free to PM me. Happy modding.
I have used the Antifouler trick to my moded s2000 and it worked great. No check engine light because the ECU thinks that the cat is still available.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 AM

What you want is to sandwich the simulator in between the bung located on the header and the sensor, so the sensor sniffs way less exhaust than before, this is for those who have removed the primary cats.
You installed the spacer on the primary sensors?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
You installed the spacer on the primary sensors?
Yeah.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:26 PM

Yeah.
This is why your car may not be be running right. The ECU is not adjusting, it's struggling to maintain a stoichiametric mixture during closed-loop mode. They are meant to be installed on the seconday O2 sensors, after the primary cats.

To others: these are not O2 simulators, they're spacers that are installed between the sensor and exhaust pipe. The intent is to put the sensing element into a dead-air cavity, where it won't be sensing the actual exhaust flow. If you understand how the secondary sensor functions, you'll understand how this may work. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
This is why your car may not be be running right. The ECU is not adjusting, it's struggling to maintain a stoichiametric mixture during closed-loop mode. They are meant to be installed on the seconday O2 sensors, after the primary cats.

To others: these are not O2 simulators, they're spacers that are installed between the sensor and exhaust pipe. The intent is to put the sensing element into a dead-air cavity, where it won't be sensing the actual exhaust flow. If you understand how the secondary sensor functions, you'll understand how this may work. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.
............you are quite right. These are spacers. They do not work in MB's. I have already done this. It takes about 4-5 days for the ECU to catch on and your check engine light returns.

Ted
Old 08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Thanks for the input guys, I will look into it somemore. Are there no other ways to get rid of the damn CEL?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Thanks for the input guys, I will look into it somemore. Are there no other ways to get rid of the damn CEL?
.............talk to Cory at Kleemann. He fixed mine. It can be programmed away, but as I understand it, it needs to be done with the car hooked up to a computer via the OBD2 ports........not direct connection of your ECU to a DAs machine. In that case, if you send him your ECu and if there happens to be a car of the same make as yours in their shop at the time, he can do it. Otherwise it might take some time.

Ted
Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Thanks Ted, I will give him a call tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Removed my primary CATS and placed O2 sensors behind Secondary CATS and got SES lights...

What should I do ??? may be I also need to put spacers, cause Cory and some other tuner told Me it should work
Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
I took out the spacers I installed yesterday, car runs a lot smoother today. I will need to go to the race shop I use sometime this week to get the spacers installed there. But I think I would take both route just to be safe.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Note: These are done to the rear O2s.
Here's some update info for you all, especially to those who have or want to remove your prim. cats. I've called Supersprint and Carlson about the O2 simulator/cheater/spacer on the 55s, and their responds are the same, spacers should help on the anti-O2-CEL matter. I rushed to my friend's shop located in NJ, I live in Bayside, and had him fabricate me the spacers, what we used were 2 packs of HELP 42002 spark plug non foulers, cut then trim then weld, and we've gotten ourselves 2 really long spacers which extend about 2.5" from the original bung. What Supersprint told me was to get the sensors as far away from the main exhaust stream as possible, and 2.5" extention is what we got, if you go longer than that, the rear O2 wires might not reach.

Anyway, the drive from NJ back to Queens was about 120 miles all highway, and no CEL at all, so for now, I think they are working, but keeping my fingers crossed for the next few days as if the damn CEL will come back on, so I will keep updating you folks about it.

Last edited by 2MANYCARS; 08-22-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
You have full SS exhaust which does through SES lights anyways...

I dont understand what was your purpose of doing this ???

So you say I need to shim my O2 sensors from the pipes, so it would get less heat ??? But secondary O2 sensors need HEAT...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
E55 RUS,
Even though I have a SS system, the car threw me a CEL, and I have checked the codes using my laptop, which are P0422 and P0432, "Main Cat is below threshold". Upon research on this site, these 2 codes are rear O2s related. The theory behind this is because the SS highflow cat is a 100 cell unit, while the stock unit is 400. Since the numbers of cells are decreased, the rear O2s are seeing more "toxic gas" coming from the engine to hurt the environment. By limiting the amount of exhaust gas the rear O2s pick up, the ECU should think the cats are still in place and functioning, so no more above mentioned codes should be generated. Like I said, I've put down 120 miles with the spacers installed and no CEL, keeping my fingers crossed still, but I've talked to Matt from Powerchip, and he said he is going to work something out with me on the ECU for a permanent fix. I'm just taking both routes trying to get rid of the troble codes once and for all. This spacer/mechanical method had been proven to work on numerous brands, if you do a search @ google.com, tons of info will come up, and then you will have a clearer picture of what I mean.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Can you actually show Me what kind spacers do I need to get...

May I should make my O2 sensors a bit futher/higher from the pipe???

Do you think O2 angle can have any affects ???
Old 08-23-2006, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
2 packs of HELP spark plug non-foulers pn# 42002 will get the job done. My advice to you is, put the primary sensors back to where they came from, and get those spacers for the rear ones. The idea is to get the sensors out the main exhaust stream as far as possible while still letting them to sniff up a fixed amount of exhaust gas to trick the ECU thinks the cats are functioning.

On a side note, I've put down another 80 miles today with 7-8 key cycles and still no CEL, guess the spacers are working on my car. Another news I want to bring up is that Powerchip has developed a new software for my car in particular to the O2 sensors related codes, so I am feeling good about my car again, hee hee.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Another quick update, I've used my laptop to double check the status of the car via OBDII. All systems are completed, except for the EVAP and secondary pump thing (can't remember exactly what it's called), which is the same results I got when the car was bone stock. No trouble codes, no anything, so looks like it's still good news.

Last edited by 2MANYCARS; 08-23-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I am happy for you...since I dont have any CATS at all in front and you do...I will try to do the same with my 02 which are located behind secondary cats
Old 08-25-2006, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Time for another update, after the initial install, I've gone 300+ miles with 40+ key cycles and NO CEL.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Time for another update, after the initial install, I've gone 300+ miles with 40+ key cycles and NO CEL.
........I got a pm regarding the CE engine light. I was about to tell the the person that the O2 spacers/simulators don't work, but then I remembered your thread. I wanted to find out if the O2 spacers have remained a permanent fix for your CE light, in which case I'll retract what I said and ask for specifics of what type you used. Thanks.

Ted
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Has anyone measured a performance increase by removing their cats? Not SOTP or noise or speculation - hard numbers.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
02 sensors dont work...jsut remove you O2 sensors behind Secondary cats and if done properly you wont get SES light...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by WayneE
Has anyone measured a performance increase by removing their cats? Not SOTP or noise or speculation - hard numbers.
On a stock e55 the cats are worth 7 to 10 rwhp.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
updates? CEL fixed?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Over 1000 miles, no problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mechanical O2 simulators installed