Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 vs E55 Comments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by E63AMG
Spare tire (must be inflated).
More comfortable seats with softer leather. They now have an attractive suede leather insert at the two upper shoulder blade areas.
Can you please post a pic of the spare tire and the seats?!

Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
Quick question for you E63AMG, when you have time, if you could test fit the E63's city lights into the E55 and see if that works. I saw the E63 @ AMGFest past weekend and the E63's city lights match the Xenon so well, that I want a pair for mine if they work on mine. Thanks.
Sorry, but I dont understand what you mean by "city lights".
Old 08-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by lauer87
The new E63 has Dynamic Seats still as an option. I saw a silver one with Dynamic seats and a pano at my dealer last week.
I think you are mistaken, and Akara1 is correct. If you look at the "Build your own E63 AMG" web page, there is no special mention of this as an separate option. I did get the P2 package with the active ventilated seats. The controls look very similar, but seats do not have massage etc, as described.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:04 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
I think you are mistaken, and Akara1 is correct. If you look at the "Build your own E63 AMG" web page, there is no special mention of this as an separate option. I did get the P2 package with the active ventilated seats. The controls look very similar, but seats do not have massage etc, as described.
I too have the ventilated seats, I and I have to say that it is the one thing that does not impress me. I can barely tell they are on. Have you had the same experience, or is perhaps something wrong with my seats?

PT
Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You aren't supposed to be able to tell they are on, they are ventilation, not direct cooling.

Prevents you from getting your shirt stuck to your seat.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Can you please post a pic of the spare tire and the seats?!

Thanks!!
Here ya go.

I also posted a picture of a couple features in the trunk I did not mention. At the top edge of the trunk, there are 2 sets of hooks, like the one pictured, that fold down and can used to hang plastic grocery bags from. The lever to the right in the picture (hard to see) is the release used to fold down one side of the upper rear seat.
Attached Thumbnails E63 vs E55 Comments-e63trunk.jpg   E63 vs E55 Comments-e63seat2.jpg   E63 vs E55 Comments-e63trunkfeatures.jpg  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by pterion
I too have the ventilated seats, I and I have to say that it is the one thing that does not impress me. I can barely tell they are on. Have you had the same experience, or is perhaps something wrong with my seats?

PT
Just to be clear, all my previous comments on the Dynamic Seats were aimed at the features on the E55 where the side bolsters on one side would inflate during cornering for more support. I was not referring to the ventilation feature.

Having said that, I completely agree with you that the ventilation feature on the seats for the E55 (and E63) is unimpressive. The system is almost unnoticable, as you indicate. I would rather that they scrap the existing seat ventilation system and create a new one that directed nice cool air-conditioned air to the same well-deserving area of my posterior.

Last edited by E63AMG; 08-30-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:40 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
OT but i test drove the lexus GS430 and found the seat ventilation feature to be not that noticeable either, so maybe ventilated seats just suck across the board!! Must say tho, build quality on that lexus was pretty damn impressive. Thats probably its fault also, its too damn good its boring as hell!1 lol
Old 08-31-2006, 08:46 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
I have to disagree about all ventilated seats being worthless. I test drove an Infinity M45 last week and had too turn down the adjustable controls on the ventilated seats because my A** was getting too cold.

I wish an MB engineer could copy that system for the 2009 E.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ventilated seats aren't supposed to cool you, they are supposed to keep your shirt from sticking to the seat when it's hot.

Trust me, it works. You don't want the one where it'll freeze your *** (unless of course it's adjustable with a knob or something like in the LS430).
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 AM

'06 M5
The newer style Lincoln LS has truly "cooled" seating option. It must have some type of tubing system in the seat with a coolant running through it that absolutely chills (and at higher settings almost freezes) your rear. It is adjustable and works great in the southern states where it is blazing hot for months at a time (like in TX where I live). I wish MB would use this type of system.

The ventilated seats in my CL55 (and my late E55) don't do anything to keep my shirt (or sweat) from affecting me.

Cheers,

D
Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I find the ventilated seats help when I leave the gym or when it's really hot and I'm wearing an extremely lightweight shirt. I can feel the air being pulled through the seat and it helps keep me a little cooler.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:37 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by WayneE
I find the ventilated seats help when I leave the gym or when it's really hot and I'm wearing an extremely lightweight shirt. I can feel the air being pulled through the seat and it helps keep me a little cooler.
Wayne is correct. If you leave your office and turn on the ventilation, you won't feel anything. On the otherhand..... If you leave the gym or if you have exercised and were pouring with sweat in the last hour, your body will still be cooling itself and when you turn on this option, you will absolutely know the cooling function in the seats is turned on.

Quit 'kickin' it' and go exercise and try it again!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Sorry, but I dont understand what you mean by "city lights".
City lights are the 2 small light bulbs located in the high beam headlight housings, when you look at them, you will find two small bulbs located on the bottom of them, those are the bulbs I was talking about. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
just my opinion...

Having seen one in person earlier this week my view is that MB have done a good job of modernising the car. Like the 55, it still looks menacingly subtle, but just a bit newer (especially the front view), if that makes any sense.

I was a big fan of the stock E55 wheels but like the look of the 63 wheels even more so. They look bigger, but as they have remained 18inch i can only assume it something to do with the single spoke design/gunmetal inserts.

I'm not sold on the 63 side badging. Looks a little cheap but that's probably because i'm accustomed to the V8 komp.

As regards the engine, i have limited experience of driving an sl55 and have not gotten the chance to drive a 63 (a family member is getting one so that will change!). Therefore, I have no great point of reference. However, as others have said before me- the 55 remains the better choice for those who are into modding while the 63 will probably work out as a more reliable (no ecu reflash/heat problems) engine for those who want to keep things stock.

Overall, I'm a big fan of the 63. For those who have a 55 i'm sure there is no point to trade what is a great car, but for new E AMG buyers, I doubt any will feel short changed by the 63.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

I really like the new seats,but wonder about the longevity of the material at the top of the seats? Hopefully it will stay new looking and not get that worn look to soon.Seems it wouldnt be too hard to put the new E63 front end onto the E55?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:51 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
This is very disappointing that they do not have the drive dynamic seats available on the amg vehicles. This was the best feature next to the keyless go in my vehicle. ANy chance this will be added later?

Im guessing this might be related to some of the complaints of the odd sounds coming from a valve associated with the seats...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 PM

2006 cls55 amg 2008 GL550 2011 audi R8 V10
Originally Posted by Jrocket

I really like the new seats,but wonder about the longevity of the material at the top of the seats? Hopefully it will stay new looking and not get that worn look to soon.Seems it wouldnt be too hard to put the new E63 front end onto the E55?
Alcantara material is synthetic suede and is extremely durable/washable and will hold up very well to wear.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by moldowan
Alcantara material is synthetic suede and is extremely durable/washable and will hold up very well to wear.
True, but it's gonna be a pain in the *** if your wearing a light-colored wolly top. Many will wish thwy'd just stuck with leather. Shouldn't be a deal-breaker, however.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 AM

CLS55
those are just the same seats in the cls55.....
Old 09-01-2006, 02:06 PM

05 E55
"I drive windy country roads every day to the office,and I think it was one of the better driver features on the car."

I am jealous of your commute. I WISH I had a curve on my way to work in L.A.!

The Dynamic Seats did offer good extra side bolstering when needed, without the constant pressure there when not needed, which was a good system. My perspective on the Dynamic Seats reflects the fact that I rarely was able to use them. To me, it was no great loss.

The new seats do have good adjustments, and side bolstering, just not the active feature in the Dynamic Seats.
Hey... maybe we can trade dynamic seats plus some cash for my non-dynamic seats? I've always wanted them...

Loren