recalled ecu replaced = power returned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
recalled ecu replaced = power returned

this is my story and what worked for me on my bone stock '03 e55. i am not making any claims it will work for anyone else but the information should be shared.

after many trips to the dealer i finally got lucky. instead of another sa or tech test driving my car for lack of power, the service manager took the car out. it might have helped that i was armed with a fresh dyno graph proving my car was sick. his first comments were "this car is a dog". after several attempts to spin the tires he stated this is not what an e55 should do or feel like. i about cried since i had been pleading with sa's only to have them tell me how "experienced" they are with amg's and that my car was fine. i further explained the situation to the manager regarding what i thought the problem was and what my opinion was on how to fix it. he actually listened intently and promised to look into the matter of the infamous ecu flash.

to cut to the chase, he basically performed exactly what i wanted. from my understanding and research of what needed to be done, he offered to perform the ecu swap via the procedure i was skeptical about having to explain and it appears to have worked. the ecu was replaced but the most important part is that the ecu CANNOT be replaced in the typical manner. the scn coding MUST be done manually and NOT performed via the "network". the problem is that there are very few techs that can or know how to scn the ecu the old fashioned way. if it isn't done manually, the ecu is going to get updates (also remember the thread about how scn coding specifically inhibits modding). this explanation may not be technically accurate but it is a fairly good representation of what worked for my car.

a dyno immediately after showed most of the hp returned. some hp that was still missing is most likely attributed to the fact that i didn't give the ecu a chance to calibrate itself since i drove it straight to the dyno shop and the fact that the dyno room had a recorded temp of 106* with 46% humidity. regardless, the car now feels like an e55 should. the reflashed load limiter problem is also gone and i can now break the tires loose at will from any speed under 30mph. the only way to regain traction is to let off the gas...the way it should be!!! i'll have another dyno performed when it cools down.

on a side note and what is as upsetting to me as the mechanical issues, was that mb black listed me and my car for repeated attempts to have the problem fixed. the manager called me and told me that he got a call from mb telling him NOT to perform any work on my car, the reason being that it had been in 3 previous times (2 at another dealer) for the same problem and each time the car was logged as operating properly. luckily, he told them he had personally driven the car and there was DEFINITELY something wrong and further insisted the car get fixed this time. a regional rep then test drove the car and corroborated the managers findings and the work was completed by him personally.

as i said, this is what worked for me and the information that i felt needed to be made available. i'm not versed enough to answer any technical questions so please don't expect too much more than i've already given. also, i'm not claiming that this information proves that the latest flash was designed to detune our cars, although i'm not denying it either. however, it is entirely possible my ecu simply became corrupt...possibly from the flash or something else.

bottom line, mb needs to be made aware that there is a real problem and that they need to deal with it. they also need to further understand that we will not let this become a non issue. we deserve better.

Last edited by chiromikey; 09-05-2006 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Is your car stock or modded ?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
It's good to hear that you got the car fixed. It's a shame that so many service advisors don't know the model line and how it should drive.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Ahhhhh, this pretty much wraps it up for me. At the same time the E63 is hitting the streets, ECU's are being flashed with load limiters on 55's. Course the one thing MB didn't count on was the intellect of MB owners figuring out this little scheme. Don't get me wrong, to limit our ability to mod the car is their right. To purposely remove power from customers who purchased expecting that power is so far over the line.Sadly there are many that won't be able to have the ECU brought back like your guys did and will fall right into the "Well if are thinking of trading, we got a 63 right here" line. If this happened AAANNYYY other time then the near exact period the new questionable 63's are hitting the streets, I would have let it slide. Just seems too close for comfort.Sad part on all of this is......the 63's are pretty fast. All MB had to do was show an F'in video of one against a 55 and many would have traded away.annnnnd ( throws the camera) I'm spent.........
Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez
Is your car stock or modded ?
bone stock.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
hahaha.. Not bone stock for long!

Glad you got your ECU issues fixed. I know how bad the power loss is having been through it myself.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
bone stock.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vrus
hahaha.. Not bone stock for long!
sshhhhhh!