W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car sits lower on the left side.. normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
car sits lower on the left side.. normal?

noticed today that my car is about a good 5-7mm lower on the left side. doesnt sound like much but to me its visually noticeable. is this normal?!

Car was on a flat road btw.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by sly55
noticed today that my car is about a good 5-7mm lower on the left side. doesnt sound like much but to me its visually noticeable. is this normal?!

Not normal and can be adjusted. make sure about the flat ground part. Try a few different surfaces before you decide it is off for sure.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz

The factory calls a 5mm difference normal in the rear. Front levels can be adjusted but messing with one wheel will change the height of the other 3 wheels accordingly. Its a very tricky process and getting an even and exact car using star diagnostic is very difficlut. It may take 20+ hrs of work. The car will always sit a bit differently and I bet it will sit at a different height after a good hard drive through the canyons. They all do this!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I have tried 5 different surfaces, all flat. My driver side rear is lower than my passenger side rear. The fronts are identical (all this measuring from centercaps to top of wheel well).

Didn't think much of it after I found out camber was about the same on both sides. It's annoying to see my passenger side rear have a larger wheel gap though.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by newton22
I have tried 5 different surfaces, all flat. My driver side rear is lower than my passenger side rear. The fronts are identical (all this measuring from centercaps to top of wheel well).

Didn't think much of it after I found out camber was about the same on both sides. It's annoying to see my passenger side rear have a larger wheel gap though.
mine is like that as well and i've seen others like that also. i'm not sure how you could correct it considering the rear ride height is not controlled independently like the front.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:45 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
The factory calls a 5mm difference normal in the rear. Front levels can be adjusted but messing with one wheel will change the height of the other 3 wheels accordingly. Its a very tricky process and getting an even and exact car using star diagnostic is very difficlut. It may take 20+ hrs of work. The car will always sit a bit differently and I bet it will sit at a different height after a good hard drive through the canyons. They all do this!
I agree. You can fix it with Star or Renntech's module. Mine sat different, didn't take 20 hours to level but it does take some time.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dsc
I agree. You can fix it with Star or Renntech's module. Mine sat different, didn't take 20 hours to level but it does take some time.
i don't see how star or renntech can fix this since the both sides of the rear are controlled by a single sensor? if the problem was the front, then i'd agree.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i don't see how star or renntech can fix this since the both sides of the rear are controlled by a single sensor? if the problem was the front, then i'd agree.

Well when you adjust the front the rear axel levels changes ther rear. The whole car is connected so lowering the front right side will shift weight around on the cars center line and then the rear will sit differently as well.

In star you can watch the volt leves change for the front axles and the rear axle as you lower just one front corner. My shop foreman started getting frustrated with my car so I took him some gifts to keep him pleased.

It still is not level in the back but the front is now equal. (most of the time -- these cars do shift and adjust around by themselves).
Old 09-15-2006, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Well when you adjust the front the rear axel levels changes ther rear. The whole car is connected so lowering the front right side will shift weight around on the cars center line and then the rear will sit differently as well.

In star you can watch the volt leves change for the front axles and the rear axle as you lower just one front corner. My shop foreman started getting frustrated with my car so I took him some gifts to keep him pleased.

It still is not level in the back but the front is now equal. (most of the time -- these cars do shift and adjust around by themselves).
sure i agree that when you change the front, the rear axle will change...as a SINGLE UNIT...NOT individually.

i've never seen the star software but are you saying that the rear has 2 individual voltage readings for each side...from ONE sensor??? if the back shares a single sensor for both sides how are you going to change the height of only one side...the rear is going to raise/lower as a unit is it not. it's different than the front which has a sensor on each side.

will someone get in here that knows what they're talking about cause i'm only going by logic not what i know to be true.

Last edited by chiromikey; 09-15-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 PM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
ill do some propper measurements on various "flat surfaces" and see exactly where its at... my 124 and 126 saloons never sit level and there's no fancy airmatic there! ive asked dealers about this and they say its normal, i also notice it on many older gen mercs if i take the time to look. but i thought airmatic might be different, i guess as long as nothings "wrong" theres not too much to worry about, just one of those annoying things!

PS comfort or sport settings dont change the height at all do they?

does anyone drive around an the high setting?! strangely i have seen a few SL's driving around apparently on the high setting! looks ridiculous, lol
Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by dsc
Yes, the Renntech ELM works well. It levels the car evenly.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2K6E55
Yes, the Renntech ELM works well. It levels the car evenly.
please explain how it can level each side of the REAR independently from each other. if it can do this, i'll buy one tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
ill do some propper measurements on various "flat surfaces" and see exactly where its at... my 124 and 126 saloons never sit level and there's no fancy airmatic there! ive asked dealers about this and they say its normal, i also notice it on many older gen mercs if i take the time to look. but i thought airmatic might be different, i guess as long as nothings "wrong" theres not too much to worry about, just one of those annoying things!

PS comfort or sport settings dont change the height at all do they?

does anyone drive around an the high setting?! strangely i have seen a few SL's driving around apparently on the high setting! looks ridiculous, lol
No you can never adjust the rear of the car with different readings for the left and right side. There is only one sensor for the rear axle.

Your action on the front of the car will change the readings for the rear however. For example as you lower the right front, the left rear will raise slightly.

It is not an exact science but the car's ride height will change as you change just the front axle readings and the front readings will change as you try to adjust the rear axle.

In this case a RENNtech lowering module will allow you to play with the settings until you are happy and star diag. will only allow you more limited adjustments.

In the end, knowing what I know now, the RENNtech ELM is the best way to go for it allows you to set the vehicle as you see fit. Good Luck.