W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 Factory HP Claims Truthful?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
The matter concerning the 63 + the 7speed gear box interest me because I also have a ML63 on order.

Now dynojet pulls are great, but in the end the results cannot be compared with SAE engine testings, there is no way the 2 results can be scientifically compared, there is too much estimation using the dynojet number to calculate crank hp plus there are too many variables between the 2 tests to keep a objective comparison.

AMG dyno-ed each and every engine they produced and if it's not within tolerance it will be sent back to the technicians to rebuild, so the 507hp number is very reliable.

ML63s do wonders in testings, overachieving beyond expectations but the 2 E63 seems to be the underachievers, while they both share the 63 engine and a 7speed gear box they can't really be compared directly as the ML63 has a addition transfer case for 4wd and with it might includes reinforcements to the gearbox so the engine might run differently than e63.

I stand by my theory that the poor showing of e63 is due to the electronics limiting the engine and I suspect the 7-speed gearbox is the weak link in the chain. It makes me worried too as the ML63 is a much heavier car than the e63 and if the 7-speed is not up to task I might have future gearbox trouble.

Until someone makes an engine dyno run to prove otherwise I think this is the best possible answer.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
btw it the 7 speed in the new 63 cars is different than my SLK55 with the 7 speed and there are different versions.

I believe one of the differences is the clutch packs inside.
I don't think this is accurate Jessie (especially one that would be "weaker" than those found in our lesser Hp SLKs, well...prior to modding the engines at least). If anything, they would have increased the 7G, not weakened it.

My car has 460 rqtq & has zero issues handling the torque. I spoke to Cory @ Kleemann about this while doing my homework last year before modding the SLK. The 7G is more than capable in handling all the torque the 6.3 engine can dish out.....and then some. Go to Kleemann's web site - they even have the power & torque rating for the 7G (its like 580 ft lbs I believe).

If an SLK S8 can handle the torque, so can any AMG 6.3L.

See ya,
-Matt