W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF!!! Could my headers have come loose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock
Also, a quick question for you. I was looking at at an old thread about headers and you made about reference to coated headers but never stated an opinion. What do you recommend. Can I have these coated or can I use thermal header tape? Any advantages?
I would stay away from the header tape. Although I have never used it, I have read that it can actually deteriorate headers by retaining too much heat. IMO, not worth the risk, plus it just looks bad.

Go with the ceramic coating, both inside and outside. The coating on the inside helps to retain heat inside the tubes, which also helps to keep the gasses moving faster. It also reduces underhood temperatures substantially. The outside coating helps the headers maintain a good appearance and protects them from the elements.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
+100 on the ceramic coating.

I've personally used Ceramachrome with excellent results on domestics.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Looks more like a sawzall cut than a break...LOL
Old 09-28-2006, 02:43 AM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
Glad you found the problem Rock, that's one clean break for sure.....I've seen many exhaust manifolds crack but never a clean break like that one. Ceramic coating definitely helps like all the others mentioned, my T3 manifold for the gt35r in the evo is done by HPC and it certainly keeps the temps down.....even after back to back runs it tends to keep decently cool.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
WTF!!?? how is it possible to 'snap' so cleanly like that?!?!! like grumpy mentioned, must be some extra stress focussed on that area for some reason!

and you said it sounded ok at idle!?! haha must have been pretty loud!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
That break is actually at a joint but even Cory at Kleemann said he's never seen a break that bad.

I am not positive why this might have happened. I'm not running 10/10ths most the time and I never let the car get very hot. Most of my fun is limited to a short burst on the highway or an occasional 2-3 runs at the 1/4 mile track.

\
Old 09-28-2006, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
That break is actually at a joint but even Cory at Kleemann said he's never seen a break that bad.
\

He is not entirely truthfull,these headers have a problem,second failure in my G ,first at 15k miles and
now at 18k.
I'll fix the car for the last time and get rid off it asap ,since my dealer lost the original headers.
No more Kleemann for me,going back to Renntech....
Old 09-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Are there any flex sections in the exhaust?

Any motor mount probs?

I'm fishing here.....
Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I may not be able to help you automotively, but I have a tip for you when you take pictures upclose like that.

Your digital camera has a Macro mode. Macro mode lets you take pictures up close while in focus. It may look like a flower or something on your camera, try that next time you have to take close ups.

Image with macromode only a few cm away from the object. See how sharp the object with attention looks with the correct focus? This is on a sony dsc-p9; piece of crap camera with no manual adjustment on the focus. But macro mode can make or break your closeups.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Thanks for the pointers. Is this better?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Go with the ceramic coating, both inside and outside. The coating on the inside helps to retain heat inside the tubes, which also helps to keep the gasses moving faster. It also reduces underhood temperatures substantially. The outside coating helps the headers maintain a good appearance and protects them from the elements.
Good News!!! Kleemann has been good enough to replace both headers for me.

As you, Vic and others have suggested, I am having him ship me coated headers. They were a few extra $$ but hopefully it will be worth it.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the pointers. Is this better?
Now, THAT'S funny!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 PM

As you, Vic and others have suggested, I am having him ship me coated headers. They were a few extra $$ but hopefully it will be worth it.
You won't be sorry - money well spent. Just ensure that they're coated on the inside. Your underhood temps will be noticeably cooler.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by absent
He is not entirely truthfull,these headers have a problem,second failure in my G ,first at 15k miles and
now at 18k.
I'll fix the car for the last time and get rid off it asap ,since my dealer lost the original headers.
No more Kleemann for me,going back to Renntech....

After hearing all of this I'm glad I went with the RENNtech headers. Plus they got a RENNtech logo plague on them that looks pretty cool.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by RawAMGpower
After hearing all of this I'm glad I went with the RENNtech headers. Plus they got a RENNtech logo plague on them that looks pretty cool.

you crack me up... you're such a renntech nut! Its so easy to see the different camps on this board, and everyone takes an opportunity to chime in about their particular fav. I like it. Its like a little version of the world. WAIT... that's why its called mbworld! Darrr...

I'm sure Kleemann has a gazzillion other header installs that have been flawless. I don't think a couple instances makes for a recall. Actually, if any of you think about it, our actual cars from MB have more failures than these modded parts nowadays (it used to be the other way around), so we should all be thankful we have such a nice group of tuners to choose from.

I had my K2 headers coated (black, no less) from day one because I've done that on every car I've had in the last decade. I think it should be standard, because its cheap compared to the overall cost of these mods.

But let's not pull out the torches and robes just because one or two break. Every manufacturer of every thing has a failure rate. Renntech has them too... not everyone posts about failures, so keep your sample in mind.

Try and be more objective... realize you're lashing out at the competitor because you want to believe in your heart you made the right choice. You probably did, so don't worry. Don't lash out and wave flags for one vendor or another during someone else's pain. Its just not nice. A wise man once said "to be critical of others is to be unfaithful to your subconscious"

okay everyone?

Rock, your use of macro mode was hysterical....

hehe,

Loren

PS. I made up that quote just now. Sounds good. Don't know what it means, but it sounds deep. Cool.

PPS. KLEEMANN KICKS A$$!!!!!! YOU KNOW IT! BOW TO KLEEMANN AND SUBMIT!

Last edited by FlyByNight; 09-28-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HAHAHAHAHA Loren I think I read your post exactly as you planned. I didn't even see the last part until I had completely finished reading the first. Brilliant.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Haha Loren. I also bought into your rhetoric. First, you point out RawAMG's flawed and bias views followed by a plea for tolerance among all AMG brothers. The poetic quote was also a very nice touch. I actually thought I heard that eloquent verse once before. Very nice!!!!!!

KLEEMANN RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Loren
you crack me up... you're such a renntech nut! Its so easy to see the different camps on this board, and everyone takes an opportunity to chime in about their particular fav. I like it. Its like a little version of the world. WAIT... that's why its called mbworld! Darrr...

I'm sure Kleemann has a gazzillion other header installs that have been flawless. I don't think a couple instances makes for a recall. Actually, if any of you think about it, our actual cars from MB have more failures than these modded parts nowadays (it used to be the other way around), so we should all be thankful we have such a nice group of tuners to choose from.

I had my K2 headers coated (black, no less) from day one because I've done that on every car I've had in the last decade. I think it should be standard, because its cheap compared to the overall cost of these mods.

But let's not pull out the torches and robes just because one or two break. Every manufacturer of every thing has a failure rate. Renntech has them too... not everyone posts about failures, so keep your sample in mind.

Try and be more objective... realize you're lashing out at the competitor because you want to believe in your heart you made the right choice. You probably did, so don't worry. Don't lash out and wave flags for one vendor or another during someone else's pain. Its just not nice. A wise man once said "to be critical of others is to be unfaithful to your subconscious"

okay everyone?

Rock, your use of macro mode was hysterical....

hehe,

Loren

PS. I made up that quote just now. Sounds good. Don't know what it means, but it sounds deep. Cool.
PPS. KLEEMANN KICKS A$$!!!!!! YOU KNOW IT! BOW TO KLEEMANN AND SUBMIT!

Yeah, Kleemann kick a$$ don't get me wrong they are a great tuning company, but I think everyone on this board follows them in blind faith. Has anyone on this board own both a kleemann modded car and a equally equipped renntech modded car? Or at least driven in both (I have, but that's besides the point)? Cory and Hartmut should setup a racing match to settle this issue.

Kleemann kicks a$$!!!!!!!

until it loses to

RENNtech
Old 09-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
You better not **** off Loren. Here, let me diffuse the situation:

A Kleemann E55 feels real good after it kicks the a$$!!!!!!! of a C55 RENNtech
Old 09-28-2006, 09:52 PM

You better not **** off Loren. Here, let me diffuse the situation:
A Kleemann E55 feels real good after it kicks the a$$!!!!!!! of a C55 RENNtech
Oh Rock would you like to race a SC'd RENNtech C55? Cause if you would I could set it up for you. Hopfully though your car won't brake during the middle of the race.

Also why would you want to race a C55 wouldn't a fair comparison be between a Renntech E55? Why don't I buy a E55 get a RENNtech stage 6 for it and blow you off the map. Have you been in a RENNtech modded car? That's a no I bet.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:21 PM

05 E55
Ironically, BenzGal (who reportedly has the most insane Renntech 55) and I have a date... we're going to make a video of K2 versus crazy Renntech to see how much of a difference it will make. She'll win.. that's not the point.. but it will be nice to see the extent of the differences with the larger pulleys, different headers, quaiff diff versus kleemann lsd, blah, blah, blah.

Richard... keep it clean this time, otherwise we'll get the thread closed down, and I won't be able to tell you to bite me properly...

Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Okay buddy. I'm gonna drive from Ohio to LA just to crush your C55.

I just went to Dragtimes to look for an E55, stage 6 car and you know what? I didn't see one. I did happen to see a Kleemann Stage 2 car at the top of the chart. 10.9 @ 131. and guess what?............. I think it was broke when it made that run.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 PM

Okay buddy. I'm gonna drive from Ohio to LA just to crush your C55.

I just went to Dragtimes to look for an E55, stage 6 car and you know what? I didn't see one. I did happen to see a Kleemann Stage 2 car at the top of the chart. 10.9 @ 131. and guess what?............. I think it was broke when it made that run.
Well, you really don't want to come out here cause you know your car couldn't make the haul. Isn't that the truth.

Anyway, people generally only get stage 6 on the SL55. Check it out 536rwhp and 528lb-ft of don't fuuck with me power.

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/Imag...5.5K/55K_6.jpg

This is all your beloved tuner's got and those numbers are crank!

http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/tuningsolutions/amgv8

Time to bow down to RENNtech. It's not my fault kleemann gave you shoty parts.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Loren
Ironically, BenzGal (who reportedly has the most insane Renntech 55) and I have a date... we're going to make a video of K2 versus crazy Renntech to see how much of a difference it will make. She'll win.. that's not the point.. but it will be nice to see the extent of the differences with the larger pulleys, different headers, quaiff diff versus kleemann lsd, blah, blah, blah.

Richard... keep it clean this time, otherwise we'll get the thread closed down, and I won't be able to tell you to bite me properly...

I thought BenzGal is Evosport not RENNtech? Whatever the case both those tuners are above kleemann in my books.

Anyway, I'll keep it clean as long as Rock does.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:28 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by RawAMGpower
I thought BenzGal is Evosport not RENNtech? Whatever the case both those tuners are above kleemann in my books.

Anyway, I'll keep it clean as long as Rock does.
oh yeah... that's right.... I got it all mixed up.

you really have it out for Kleemann... what happened to you with them?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTF!!! Could my headers have come loose?