Octane setting at base and loving it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Exclamation Octane setting at base and loving it

Well I've gone full circle, or have I?

I changed octane setting to 93 last week and didn't notice much change. Was told by master Yoda (VRUS) that I had screwed up and "base setting was best." This was confirmed by a different MB service rep. So today I changed to Base setting. (Notice I didn't say back to Base setting!!)

After driving for a 100 miles or so, I can now say that car is much stronger than it was before or after change to 93!! In fact, car is as strong as it ever was, even before ECU reflash! I cannot floor the car at any time in first gear without losing all traction. I can't even floor car in second gear at 25 or so if it downshifts to first because car again loses traction. And this with ESP on!Before change to 93, I could hardly break tires lose from a roll.

I'm wondering if ECU reflash changed octane setting to something other than Base, and by going to 93 then to Base I got it back to where it should have been all along. Does this make any sense? How else do you explain improvement in performance??
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Coalman
Well I've gone full circle, or have I?

I changed octane setting to 93 last week and didn't notice much change. Was told by master Yoda (VRUS) that I had screwed up and "base setting was best." This was confirmed by a different MB service rep. So today I changed to Base setting. (Notice I didn't say back to Base setting!!)

After driving for a 100 miles or so, I can now say that car is much stronger than it was before or after change to 93!! In fact, car is as strong as it ever was, even before ECU reflash! I cannot floor the car at any time in first gear without losing all traction. I can't even floor car in second gear at 25 or so if it downshifts to first because car again loses traction. And this with ESP on!Before change to 93, I could hardly break tires lose from a roll.

I'm wondering if ECU reflash changed octane setting to something other than Base, and by going to 93 then to Base I got it back to where it should have been all along. Does this make any sense? How else do you explain improvement in performance??

Are you sure you were at "base" in the beginning? What is base called on STAR? I had heard that MB was having complaints of pinging in their higher compression engines and were considering retarding timing. I do not know if this was done or not or how. Mine will be in on Thursday, so I'll see about it as well.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:36 AM

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Are you sure you were at "base" in the beginning? What is base called on STAR? I had heard that MB was having complaints of pinging in their higher compression engines and were considering retarding timing. I do not know if this was done or not or how. Mine will be in on Thursday, so I'll see about it as well.
Jangy you certainly know your stuff from all the great posts you made, but would you really consider our motors "high compression" ? (Even when S/C is giving boost it is still "relatively low", after all some of the 4 cylinder screamers have high compression and high boost)
Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 AM

2004 E55 White
Well, how about some factual data. I had my E55 switched to the 93-octane setting soon after getting my car. When I ran it at the track it always seemed a little slow, toward the bottom end of the E55 performance curve. I had the car out several weeks ago at ChicagoX’s little meet. I ran a 12:78 12:72 and a 12:61 at 108 to 109 MPH. ChicagoX ran about the same times but then ran a 12:41 later in the day. That got me thinking about the 93-octane setting and what VRUS said about it. So I took my car into the dealer and had them set it back to “base” setting. By the way, the tech said it is now policy to get ok’s on any ECU changes from higher up in order to stop tuner changes. Sunday I went to the same track (US41) that I ran at before to see if there was any change. Surprisingly ChicagoX was there also. It was very crowded and I only managed one run, but what a run! 12:25 @ 113 MPH and ChicagoX ran 12:30 @ 113 MPH right after me. I am very happy and VRUS is master YODA. VRUS, thank you, thank you, thank you for the good advice. No, how about the ASP pulleys?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by sfkarp
.... how about the ASP pulleys?

Car's in the shop right now awaiting diagnostics re: 143 mph.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 AM

That 4 mph difference in the 1/4-mile is indicative of a 50 HP increase. Can you comment on how the weather compared for the two days?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:33 PM

2004 E55 White
The temperature was 83 a few weeks ago and about 80 for the Sunday runs. There was less humidity, so I think the conditions were better, but the increase in performance was considerable. I can really feel the difference in 1st and 2nd since the octane change. I also have a 2003 mustang cobra that has a blower on it and increased timing makes big differences on them also. I may have to modify the mustang some more, my daily driver 4 door is almost as fast now.