W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** SLR Intercooler Project ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
*** SLR Intercooler Project ***

I am getting alot of emails and PMs about the SLR intercoolers and whether or not I am going to do anything with them (I know I've talked to at least 3 of you on the phone in length about this system already). We kind of stopped the whole discussion once I got the pricing from AMG Germany.

Well.. I will put it out there one more time and all you guys that were asking me about it, please reply to this thread so we can see how many interested parties we have.

Here is the lowdown in a nutshell..

From talking to the AMG Germany people I can get the *NEW* revised intercoolers & supercharger (with output tubes) from the SLR 722 for $21,000 CDN. They wont sell the output tubes separately.. it is only available with the entire supercharger assembly. (The supercharger cost is $11,000 by itself. We would be able to sell off the S/C immediately and recoup some major monies.

The idea was to re-produce a system just like the SLR setup and make it available to others at a street price of $5,999USD.

The kit would include:

- 2 fluid pumps (either 2 high-flow OEM pumps or 2 Johnston pumps)
- 2 intercooler tanks (left & right) with their own reservoirs
- supercharger outlet connecting pipes (mounts onto bottom of S/C and routes compressed air to each intercooler tank)
- All the hoses & connections
- Tanks would be powder coated black just like SLR but wont say SLR on them obviously..

The benefits of this kit would be:

- Stock intercooler system is very inefficient. We lose 4 psi of boost through the intercoolers.. Stock S/C pumps 11.6psi.. Our motor only sees 6.6psi - 7.6psi of that.

- The SLR system only has 1psi of pressure loss. This means the minute you bolt this thing on, you will see +3psi of boost and will get 50hp - 70hp (this information has come from several reliable sources who can confirm what I am saying).

- Engine will run at a much higher efficiency level.. That means less heat, more power, less stress on motor.

Now.. Let's see how many guys want in on this thing and let's see if there is any value in pursuing this.

Reply and tell me if you want to pitch in some money to get this kit made or if you just want to be a buyer of the kit (once its developed) and are willing to put down a small deposit so those of us with the funding can see if its worthwhile to purchase the parts and move forward.

Let's hear it...
Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Who's gonna buy a $11,000 supercharger?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
i would buy a kit for 6k if it works. its alot better than buying the k-1 kleeman package. and to me even better than the K-2 im in 100% if it works as decribed above.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
- Engine will run at a much higher efficiency level.. That means less heat, more power, less stress on motor.
Let's see . . . . +3 psi boost . . . . less stress on the motor. There's something wrong with this picture.

Now.. Let's see how many guys want in on this thing and let's see if there is any value in pursuing this.
How about Plan B? Finny was also working on a similar project. Let's see where he is with the modified tanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 PM

Vrus ,

With that kinda money being spent why not just dump the SC itself in favor of a Twin Turbo setup. That would be cheaper. But it would cost more to make from scratch maybe. I really think this is the best way to realize the potential of this engine.

All you would need for the TT setup is

1. intake manifold( you could use the existing throttle body or one of your 80mm deals)
2. 2 turbos

3. 2 exhaust manifolds.

4. extensive tuning

5. Since your making less heat than the SC system you could use the existing SC IC cooling system like they did with the Ford GT twin turbo conversion.

I just feel with all this money being spent on switching to SLR parts( which is not cheap ) why not just have a 600 engine. I am sure someone here could tell me the exact difference between the 55k engine and 600 TT engine.

Well......... after quick look on MBs website

the bigest difference is that the 600 V12 engine is 36valve and the 55k engine is 24vavle. Both have the same compression and both use liquid to air IC system.

Last edited by Mad TKD; 09-27-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
The big concern is tuning. I'm sure plenty of folks have already seen the Ford GT TT video. Fabrication is the easy part, its the tuning that would be difficult with a TT set-up.
The Ford guys have it easy with their SCT tuner. For a little more money, I think it would be sweet to get a TT set up. If a TT set-up was available for $8-10k, I would not hesitate to go with it.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
If it were actually feasible and could be fit inside without much fabrication, I'd be in for $6k. Although I am curious about the extra boost that gets through... that IS extra stress on the engine... and for us larger pulley types, that's even more on top of that...

???

Loren
Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Oh yes I know the tuning would be the hard part but I am sure it could be done!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:45 PM

CL65
Count me in. Victor, call me when you get the chance, I think I may have found something very helpful to us. I need a stock cooler from one of our motors.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I'll buzz you this afternoon.

Originally Posted by MarkoCL55
Count me in. Victor, call me when you get the chance, I think I may have found something very helpful to us. I need a stock cooler from one of our motors.

Hahaha.. Ok.. So that didnt come out quite right.. I had 2 thoughts that got compounded together and came out in 1 sentence... LOL.. At the same boost level is what I meant to say about being more efficient, less heat, etc...

Finny... Damn.. That's right he is working on that stuff.. I forgot to ask him how its going... Excuse me while I go send some emails.. Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Let's see . . . . +3 psi boost . . . . less stress on the motor. There's something wrong with this picture.

How about Plan B? Finny was also working on a similar project. Let's see where he is with the modified tanks.
The big concern IS tuning, but not for the reason you state.. tuning a TT on our cars is no more difficult than tuning for an S/C. Our cars are MAP based.. Dont forget.. Boost is boost.

Originally Posted by medici78
The big concern is tuning. I'm sure plenty of folks have already seen the Ford GT TT video. Fabrication is the easy part, its the tuning that would be difficult with a TT set-up.
The Ford guys have it easy with their SCT tuner. For a little more money, I think it would be sweet to get a TT set up. If a TT set-up was available for $8-10k, I would not hesitate to go with it.
That would be a test of the efficiency of the SLR setup.. If it can keep IAT under check, and the fuel system can supply enough fuel and the tranny can handle the power then we are all set..

Originally Posted by Loren
If it were actually feasible and could be fit inside without much fabrication, I'd be in for $6k. Although I am curious about the extra boost that gets through... that IS extra stress on the engine... and for us larger pulley types, that's even more on top of that...

???

Loren
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Victor, I give you mad props for all the work you're doing on your car. But man, you are sinking some serious coin into that thing. At some point you may as well just go buy an SLR! I guess you plan on keeping it for a LONG time!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Some guys like working on model cars.. I just enjoy tinkering with the life-sized ones... LOL..

I considered selling it when I had the brake failure, but, with the amount of mileage on my car, the condition of the market, and the fact that I love it so much, I decided to just live with it.. This car will be in my stable permanently.

Thanks for the kudos! You need to go find yourself a nice 03 - 04 E55 and join back in on the fun.. The market is so soft you can grab a good one for $50,000.. Perfect compliment to your P-Car..

Originally Posted by cte430
Victor, I give you mad props for all the work you're doing on your car. But man, you are sinking some serious coin into that thing. At some point you may as well just go buy an SLR! I guess you plan on keeping it for a LONG time!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
FYI -- Kleemann will be offering the SLR intercooler type setup in the very near future. They already have a working prototype installed on a 55. I almost was their guniea pig for the prototype but missed the opportunity by a couple of days.

Last edited by dragonAMG; 09-28-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
My inside sources tell me its 1yr away by the time Kleemann Denmark produces a retail ready kit. Right now Kleemann USA is doing them as one-off custom jobbies.

I like all the products Kleemann makes.. I WANT THAT STATED FOR THE RECORD... BUT.. I have to be honest and say that their "SLR" style intercooler system (at least the system I saw a picture of) looks horrible.. I wouldnt put it under my hood.. (Sorry if I offend anyone with this, but I was really shocked when I saw what the product looked like and that is just how I feel about it.).

Not to mention they stuck 2 conical filters in the engine bay exposed to the hot air. I just hope the pic I saw of the prototype is not what they expect to sell for the final version.. I wasnt impressed..

Originally Posted by dragonAMG
FYI -- Kleemann will be offering the SLR intercooler type setup in the very near future. They already have a working prototype installed on a 55. I was considering being their guniea pig for the prototype.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My inside sources tell me its 1yr away by the time Kleemann Denmark produces a retail ready kit. Right now Kleemann USA is doing them as one-off custom jobbies.

I like all the products Kleemann makes.. I WANT THAT STATED FOR THE RECORD... BUT.. I have to be honest and say that their "SLR" style intercooler system (at least the system I saw a picture of) looks horrible.. I wouldnt put it under my hood.. (Sorry if I offend anyone with this, but I was really shocked when I saw what the product looked like and that is just how I feel about it.).

Not to mention they stuck 2 conical filters in the engine bay exposed to the hot air. I just hope the pic I saw of the prototype is not what they expect to sell for the final version.. I wasnt impressed..
doesn't sound promising... VRUS - based on what I've seen from you... I would definitely be interested for under 6k

To be honest, I'd much rather do this than try to do the TT setup (spending more $$$ there)
Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 PM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Victor,

I am extremely interested, especially if we can keep the price under $6k. Also just inmagine the other AMG models with SC that can use it. It has very good potential.

Daryoosh
Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The list sits like this:

- Vrus
- RocketW19
- Loren
- MarkoCL55
- dragonAMG
- mbamg06e55

I am going to talk to Finny and see where he is at with his work. Maybe we can help him along and work together on this..

Oh... And keep 1 thing in mind.. Even if we do the SLR intercoolers, they will work GREAT if we convert to Turbos later. So its not like they will be wasted or anything... LOL..
Old 09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
This is the best idea I've heard all day, eliminating that terrible stock intercooler setup will remove the E55's achilles heel, keeping your car from pulling timing and opening up the higher rev ranges for power. This will be the best mod any of you could do to your cars.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
vrus, I'm assuming this would be taking priority over the TT idea, correct?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:28 PM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
The list sits like this:

- Vrus
- RocketW19
- Loren
- MarkoCL55
- dragonAMG
- mbamg06e55

I am going to talk to Finny and see where he is at with his work. Maybe we can help him along and work together on this..

Oh... And keep 1 thing in mind.. Even if we do the SLR intercoolers, they will work GREAT if we convert to Turbos later. So its not like they will be wasted or anything... LOL..

Victor,

If there is anything you need done let me know. You know what I'm talking about. I have open time.

Daryoosh
Old 09-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
what if i have a CL55
Old 09-28-2006, 10:25 PM

05 E55
ok, question from the back row... can't we get someone like Turbonetics or Spearco or some other place to merely improve our existing setup... or completely redesign it? I was told today it is entirely possible, so I want to see what you guys thought about it...

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ic_liquidtoair.htm

really interesting, check out the "Liquid to Air Barrel Intercoolers". Don't know where we'd cram them, but what an addition they would be.

http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/index.asp

???

Last edited by FlyByNight; 09-28-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
ok, question from the back row... can't we get someone like Turbonetics or Spearco or some other place to merely improve our existing setup... or completely redesign it? I was told today it is entirely possible, so I want to see what you guys thought about it...

???
this was my approach and sounds much more economically viable. besides, i'm already discussing this with the guy that fabricated my custom header/exhaust system.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

???
If that is possible, it definitely seems more logical
Old 09-28-2006, 10:45 PM

05 E55
We need to know temp in and out when its cool and when its heat soaked, so we can figure out exactly how effective it isn't... and then get an appropriate core to handle that heat.

Anyone know what a stock E55 flows in cfm? A k2? A larger pulley? And at what psi, etc... can someone post a schematic (sp?) of the whole intercooler piping / system?

Loren

I really dig the idea of this kind of setup in addition to what we have now... look at the liquid to air barrel unit.

http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/index.asp

don't know if its possible...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** SLR Intercooler Project ***