W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you want to rent El Toro?
Yes
96.00%
No
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Who wants to rent an airstrip? SoCal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I think getting a day out at willow springs international raceway would be far more enjoyable. That way you can actually press the car on a road course and not just blast up and down the air strip.

THe course that El Toro has for the autocross is fairly tight and not something that would be fun in a big E55.

Also El Toro is strict about the speeds you obtain on their property. They limit you to some fairly low figure and they frown on drifting for safety reasons. Their liability insurance is pretty restrictive so its not like you have free access to go 220mph or do as you see fun.

A track day at willow runs 4500-5000 all inclusive with insurace, corner workers, medical crew, food n drink, and staff to run the event. The track can support upwards of 50 cars in a day and not even have an issue with traffic.

Put in 3 run groups with maybe a time trial session after lunch. (assuming we either rent some timing and scoring equipment or may a board member has that already). 30-40 minutes sessions and you can easily have 5 sessions per run group over the course of the day. You can either keep running the event straight through lunch or shut the course down and do a full group lunch.

If you have fewer people the costs per person go up but you can also run a far more casual day with basically open track driving all day (just dont forget to come in and check the car over every 30-45 minutes as things do wear out quickly at the track).

As for keeping things safe, passing is restricted to specific section on track, drivers must use "point by's" for all passing, track has 4-6 flagmen to keep drivers informed as to track conditions and any issue that may exist. If we can verify the drivers level of experience we could allow active passing in the red group but that really only offers two more passing zones. If done with a safe group nothing will happen and everyone will have a blast. If it turns into a whos got the bigger "package" contest it can turn into a lifelite trip to palmdale medical center.
im with you on this one, but unfortunatelly were on the wrong board

m or p guys would be all over it, here we have a bunch of drag racers (weenies)

im down to go fast anywhere though so im in regardless (1/4, road course)
Old 09-30-2006, 12:08 AM

2013 SL550 2013 M6 f12 2011 X5M
Talking

please count me in too
Old 09-30-2006, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
I'd do Willow and / or a strip... I'm interested in both... and I still have my sport cups I can throw on for Willow...

Loren
Old 09-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
I'll do both willow and el toro.

Loren,

I just got back this morning and have not had a chance to follow up with Tom. I'll touch base with both of you on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by L8Apex; 09-30-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:51 PM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I think getting a day out at willow springs international raceway would be far more enjoyable. That way you can actually press the car on a road course and not just blast up and down the air strip.

THe course that El Toro has for the autocross is fairly tight and not something that would be fun in a big E55.

Also El Toro is strict about the speeds you obtain on their property. They limit you to some fairly low figure and they frown on drifting for safety reasons. Their liability insurance is pretty restrictive so its not like you have free access to go 220mph or do as you see fun.

A track day at willow runs 4500-5000 all inclusive with insurace, corner workers, medical crew, food n drink, and staff to run the event. The track can support upwards of 50 cars in a day and not even have an issue with traffic.

Put in 3 run groups with maybe a time trial session after lunch. (assuming we either rent some timing and scoring equipment or may a board member has that already). 30-40 minutes sessions and you can easily have 5 sessions per run group over the course of the day. You can either keep running the event straight through lunch or shut the course down and do a full group lunch.

If you have fewer people the costs per person go up but you can also run a far more casual day with basically open track driving all day (just dont forget to come in and check the car over every 30-45 minutes as things do wear out quickly at the track).

As for keeping things safe, passing is restricted to specific section on track, drivers must use "point by's" for all passing, track has 4-6 flagmen to keep drivers informed as to track conditions and any issue that may exist. If we can verify the drivers level of experience we could allow active passing in the red group but that really only offers two more passing zones. If done with a safe group nothing will happen and everyone will have a blast. If it turns into a whos got the bigger "package" contest it can turn into a lifelite trip to palmdale medical center.
I'm with you on this one. IMO "just mine" the Willows Springs would be better.

Count me in.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
ok everyone... did some footwork and got all the details:

1) $2500 per day, up to 25 cars, 50 people max.

2) visit http://www.eltorofield.com for pics, info, etc. The lanes are TWO MILES LONG and 250 feet wide. When you're looking at those air shots, keep those proportions in mind... its huge.

3) We need 5 Million in insurance. I have the name of a company I will call and get a quote on... 1 million in general liability, 4m in umbrella coverage.

4) They are not thrilled with side by side racing... they are used to road racing setups (they even give us cones). I had them link to our CA Speedway results to get an idea of what kinds of speeds we generated last time, as well as the cars and the people involved. They will get back to us on whether they'll allow it. The good news is we can have our strip AND "twisties" at the same place if we wanted to...

5) They are pretty open date-wise for the remainder of the year...

That's your update for today...

Loren

Last edited by FlyByNight; 10-04-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:59 PM

'05 E 55 Black
Originally Posted by Loren
okaaaaaaaaaaaay, FINE! I'll help... what do you want me to do... remember, I have a baby arriving 11/17!

Loren
Loren,

That's why we have video cameras . I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
2 miles...would that be enough to do a top speed run with enough room to slow the car down?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
I am up for both.