Sponsored by:

Electronic Speed Limiter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 ML 350 Bluetec
Electronic Speed Limiter

I have been told all German vehicles have electronic speed limiters that prevent the vehicle from exceeding 155 mph. I have also been told that the AMG vehicles do not have this limitation.

Which statement is true?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
AMG models definitely have the 155mph limiter (except with 030 package on some models). It can be removed with aftermarket ECU software.

A lot of other European cars have the limiter too.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:55 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Gentlemens' Agreement" made between BMW, MBZ, and Porsche years ago; if I remember correctly to eliminate an/a potentially expensive 'arms race' for top speed performance among the three manufacturers.

Porsche has since left the agreement in the past, as ancient history. It is my understanding that BMW and MBZ both still honor the limitation in concept - though for different reasons than the original one: now for practical safety (and liability?) purposes.

I would suppose most experienced tuners can get around or defeat the limitation currently.

The question still to be asked is are you sure that you want to eliminate the restriction; do you really want to travel at that great a rate of speed in your vehicle (as if 150mph+ isn't fast enough)?

Last edited by ClayJ; 10-08-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by ClayJ
"Gentlemens' Agreement" made between BMW, MBZ, and Porsche years ago; if I remember correctly to eliminate an/a potentially expensive 'arms race' for top speed performance among the three manufacturers.

Porsche has since left the agreement in the past, as ancient history. It is my understanding that BMW and MBZ both still honor the limitation in concept - though for different reasons than the original one: now for practical safety (and liability?) purposes.

I would suppose most experienced tuners can get around or defeat the limitation currently.

The question still to be asked is are you sure that you want to eliminate the restriction; do you really want to travel at that great a rate of speed in your vehicle (as if 150mph+ isn't fast enough)?
How else are people going to be able to race your Veyrons, SLR's and Excelero.

Let's make another gentlemans agreement. No more
Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ClayJ

That "Gentlemens' Agreement" was between BMW, MB, Audi and the German government not Porsche!

My AMG's are both unlimited, but they must been left Germany and registrated first before the could going back to AMG for undoing the speed limiter!

Audi is the first with the New R8 as an German regular production car which is not limited........