dyno question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
dyno question!

is there a way for the dyno operator to mess with the numbers specially if i dont know whats goin on? i was at a shop that specializes in super chargers askin him some questions. i ask first about headers that renntech sells sayin it will give you 30 hp he says hell no. i told him the shop im gonna use will dyno first then install then dyno again. he told me he could make my car look 50hp more with out touching my car. i didnt bother askin how cuzz i wouldnt know what he was talkin about anyways.
he then wanted to see renntechs web site and almost pissed himself on the prices. he called someone named bob in FL renntech and asked about the headers bob said right there for me to hear that they would only give 15hp more. but the they claim 30hp thats BS to me. my advisor said probably only 10-12hp.
we now moved on to the stage 1 kit it was to technical of a dissusion for me to understand but at the end of it he had the impression that it was ridiculous to pay the price they wanted. and for me to get any companys pully or stock mbz and he will either copy one or make the stock one just big enough for 3-4lbs of bost or if i really wanted as much as i asked for about 200 bucks but he advised against it.
so my real question is can someone mess with the dyno to make me think stage one gives 40 hp? or is 40hp what all of you are seeing? and what do you guys think of me havin him make just a pully with out the ECU flash? sorry for the long *** post.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 AM

SL65 AMG
You have a nice car and I know the prices are high but you dont want to pop your motor to save some money. Trust me I dynoed my car on two different dynos in two different states and my ecu,pulley and headers added 100hp and 118lbft. It was worth the money to me.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
You have a nice car and I know the prices are high but you dont want to pop your motor to save some money. Trust me I dynoed my car on two different dynos in two different states and my ecu,pulley and headers added 100hp and 118lbft. It was worth the money to me.
what company did you go with? 100hp id say is worth it also. your like 25-30hp over what renntec quotes.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 AM

SL65 AMG
I went with kleemann. Look thru the post you will find when I first did it. I think when it was said and done I ended up with a great tune thanks to cory and my car had a ton of lbft. I ended up with like 550hp and 660lbft at the crank if I recall correct. I will look at my dynos but it was great.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
where are all the dyno pros at? can you mess with number to trick the customer?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
where are all the dyno pros at? can you mess with number to trick the customer?
I am not sure if the dyno correction factor is completely controlled by sensors mounted to the dyno/computer, or if the operator is required to plug some numbers into the computer. If it is the latter, then the operator could conceivable over-correct for heat and overstate your horsepower. But if the correction factor is posted on the print-out, a discerning eye might suspect b.s.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:11 AM

E55
Time and Tine again on this site we see discussions on Dyno corrections and calibration. The simple fact is no two dyno's are exactly alike (even if the operator and the manufacturer get together and program all variables like)...even the changes in weather, altitude and humidity affect numbers....so what can you do?

Simply use the same dyno with the same settings on as similar a day as possible (preferable just hours apart) to see what real change there is to the power/torque from mods.

All the tuners here try do that...use the exact same rig, same settings, same day and then you can discern changes as little as perhaps 5HP - otherwise I'd say you can't even trust a change of 10 or 15 HP because of the "noise" created by set up and/or other variances.

Practically everything else is somewhat speculative. Once you get above about 20/25 HP improvement, then this is real but you won't know exactly how "real" (is it 20 or 40??). All bets are off if someone is deliberately messing with the dyno settings

So same rig - same day - same settings... if you can....then look only at the relative changes to discern the value of "improvements."