Sponsored by:

1/2in star diag lowering/ worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/2in star diag lowering/ worth it?

i got a mb tech that will lower car for me via star but will only be able to do for 1/2in, he says. now, will it be a noticeable difference w/ stock 18's? how about w/ 19's? what i am looking for is car on tire look not the tire tucked underneath car look. for this would it be worth it or should i just go w/ a lowering module for obviously more money.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:17 PM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
I say yes

I know the answer to you question is completely a matter of personal taste and preference, however, I had my car lowered via Star Diagnostics at the dealership and I'll bet they were able to lower it about 1/2 inch - cefinitely not more than 3/4. BUT, they only charged a couple hundred bucks (mainly for the time to make sure it was even at all 4 corners) and I like the idea that camber / caster are within factory specs. The "raise - lower" feature still works fine and drops it back to the new "lowered" setting each time. I'm sorry I do not have any good digital photos, but I'd say there is a gap about the width of my index finger - no more than that - all the way around each tire. Even with the factory 18s, I've already had a couple of people ask if the car has been lowered, so I know it is noticable even to an untrained eye. I think it looks great, although I sure dont mind the look of the more aggressively lowered Es on this board with the Klemann and RennTech modules. If you use Star Diagnostics and run 19s, you will definitely fill the wheel well and if you are not looking for a "slammed" look, Star ought to do the trick! Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 PM

To bad you don't live in the Maryland area. My tech uses adjustable links to lower it as much as you like and then does an alignment.

Sorry no picture with the stock wheels.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Washer method, $1.07, an inch down from stock height.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by newton22
Washer method, $1.07, an inch down from stock height.
some members were sayin this was dangerous for the car?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by ajl210
some members were sayin this was dangerous for the car?
I'm not going to start the debate again. But people think its dangerous simply because the method involves the word "washer" and costs roughly a $1. The cost drives many people away. You have to understand how the method works before you understand why it is a great method.

But if you truly want to give your car a much lower and professional stance, go with the modules. IMO, its washer or module, since Star Diag yields similar results to the washer method, but the module is much better than both.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
i got a mb tech that will lower car for me via star but will only be able to do for 1/2in, he says. now, will it be a noticeable difference w/ stock 18's? how about w/ 19's? what i am looking for is car on tire look not the tire tucked underneath car look. for this would it be worth it or should i just go w/ a lowering module for obviously more money.

I also say do it.

I had mine done at the dealer. They said it would lower it 1/2" but when I got it back, it was closer to a 1.5" drop. Keep in mind that the front fenders are cut higher than the rear. So with an even drop at all 4 corners, the front will look just a bit higher. To compensate for that, you can do the washer method and we can go on for hours about the pros and cons of this method. I did the washer method for months with no problems at all but I always had a fear of dropping my suspension during spirited driving. I contacted a member here (Jangy) and he was kind enough to customize a set of front links for me. I installed them and it dropped the front an additional 1/2" or so. Here's some pics of what it looks like now.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 10-24-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I'm not going to start the debate again. But people think its dangerous simply because the method involves the word "washer" and costs roughly a $1. The cost drives many people away. You have to understand how the method works before you understand why it is a great method.

But if you truly want to give your car a much lower and professional stance, go with the modules. IMO, its washer or module, since Star Diag yields similar results to the washer method, but the module is much better than both.
How the hell is tricking a computer, with washers or modules, better than Star Diagnose?? I don't think you understand the method either. With Star, you are simply re-setting M-B parameters in the factory computer. The module involves splicing (there goes your electrical parts warranty) into the factory harness and tricks the factory computer into "thinking" it is sitting at a different height and the washer method involves tricking sensors (also, to do it properly you have to dremel certain holes out) in a similar fashion. The main reason the modules exist is to guarantee a lower drop than possible with STAR.
Star Diagnose is much cleaner as it does not involve any splicing or physical alteration and is virtually undetectable by the dealer. Try a getting an airmatic repair under warranty on a module or "washer method" vs STAR...
Old 10-25-2006, 01:13 AM

Lexus LS430, SL55
Wow, they actually charge few hundred dollars to lower it for you? that's way too much
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212

Not quite so fast. i am glad yours has been fine, but you should be careful when you generalize. The fact is that the nut that fits on that thred is an oval lock. This is not something that is new and ANY engineer can tell you how it works. It is made that way so that the nut literally wedges onto the bolt to lock it down and avoid falling off due to VIBRATION. To add to your dilema, the bolt itself is tapered, or you would never be able to get the oval nut onto it. This means that the nut MUST go down a certain number of threads BEFORE it is actually nice and snug. Adding washers reduces the depth that the nut can travel down the threads and therefore increases your risk of falling off due to vibration. Can it be alleviated? Yes, but always keep in mind that MB used this type of nut and lenth of bolt for a reason. You can try a nylon nut, glue, whatever, but make for sure that the nut is not going anywhere as your car's suspension will be toast.

It is not the $1 cost that scares me, it is the $5000 repair bill AND warranty void that does!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by medici78
How the hell is tricking a computer, with washers or modules, better than Star Diagnose?? I don't think you understand the method either. With Star, you are simply re-setting M-B parameters in the factory computer. The module involves splicing (there goes your electrical parts warranty) into the factory harness and tricks the factory computer into "thinking" it is sitting at a different height and the washer method involves tricking sensors (also, to do it properly you have to dremel certain holes out) in a similar fashion. The main reason the modules exist is to guarantee a lower drop than possible with STAR.
Star Diagnose is much cleaner as it does not involve any splicing or physical alteration and is virtually undetectable by the dealer. Try a getting an airmatic repair under warranty on a module or "washer method" vs STAR...
If the module is installed properly, MB and or RENNTech will absolutely cover it. Look on RENNTech's website for details on that.

Yes, Star is the least invasive, but it is also the least effective. if a slight drop (which can not even be controlled or even modified on the run) is good enough, then absolutely do not bother with the others.

If your concern is splicing, build a harness that piggy backs in. I wish people with experience in each method (I've tried them all) would stick to speaking on what they do know rather on what they do not.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Totally worth it... i had the dealership do it for me...it makes the car stance more aggressive!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I had it done too, looks much more aggressive with the 19" STMs
Old 10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by jangy
If the module is installed properly, MB and or RENNTech will absolutely cover it. Look on RENNTech's website for details on that.

Yes, Star is the least invasive, but it is also the least effective. if a slight drop (which can not even be controlled or even modified on the run) is good enough, then absolutely do not bother with the others.

If your concern is splicing, build a harness that piggy backs in. I wish people with experience in each method (I've tried them all) would stick to speaking on what they do know rather on what they do not.
Who makes a harness? I've yet to hear of one and to actually build a harness would not be cheap either. You would need to find the OEM connector which is likely impossible without buying the entire harness.
Personally, I don't like module drops if they can be avoided. I'd use one as a last resort if it wasn't adjustable with factory computer. I have STAR and if my car were any lower, it would not be practical at all.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
No, I don't think you understand the method.

The washers don't lower the car. The sensor does. All Airmatics have adjustable sensors that control ride height. I am simply...adjusting those sensors so that the car is lower than the stock ride height.

Jangy, I lift my car once every 6 weeks or so and I always check the nut. I also have loctite applied to it. As long as you're willing to maintain it and make sure its tight on there, nothing will go wrong.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:08 PM

E55 AMG
Who makes a harness? I've yet to hear of one and to actually build a harness would not be cheap either. You would need to find the OEM connector which is likely impossible without buying the entire harness.
Personally, I don't like module drops if they can be avoided. I'd use one as a last resort if it wasn't adjustable with factory computer. I have STAR and if my car were any lower, it would not be practical at all.
most modules require splicing and the Carlsson one requires you to swap out the pins for the plug that connects to the airmatic control unit....which would be undetectable if reversed!....as no wires are cut.

....however, I remember someone telling me that the Brabus module plugs straight into the airmatic control unit and the loom plugs into the module, plug and play so to speak.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by jangy

OUCH... glad you're my friend... I would hate to be your enemy!