Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New B...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New B...HELP

well first off im pretty new to this forum and i am thinking about getting an older body E...im pretty sure i dont want to spend more then 20K and i want anything from a 1999-2002 E55 AMG. since i want to stay under 20K then it pretty much knocks the 01 and 02's out unless i get lucky. but i found a nice 99 for sale in town and it has 95K miles and he is asking 16,900 which i believe is a really good price. the car is blk on blk and no nav. i dont no how many other options i should want or look out for... but my main question in what problems did the 99's have. since they were the first year should i spend a few more thousand and get a newer model E? i am really confused because i always wanted a old 540 then work on it but i want to no what you guys spend on maintaining nice cars like this...

i currently own a 2003 530i 5 speed and im looking to sell it for this benz...

my other problem is that i want to look up stuff on this car and every thread i pick up has to do with the 03 and up E55...this is getting really frusterating and i think i need a little more help understanding this forum...

this car has 95k miles and all records to this date...
well here it is for you guys...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ag=1&cardist=8

Last edited by RacerX0911; 10-24-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM

can some one please help me on this subject...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
You want to go to the main page and scroll down to the W210 E-Class subforum. You're in the AMG subforum right now, predominantly run by meat-eating horsepower maniacs who drink the blood of the infidels.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
^^lol
Old 10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
You want to go to the main page and scroll down to the W210 E-Class subforum. You're in the AMG subforum right now, predominantly run by meat-eating horsepower maniacs who drink the blood of the infidels.
Hey, c'mon man.... he's asking for info on E55... so it belongs to this forum.

Anyway, couple things that you want to pay particular attention, most of them are cosmetics, though:
1. Dashboard crack
2. Rattles
3. MAF
4. Rust

Also make sure that you check the transmission... I'd suggest you flush it albeit clean history.

So far (after 70K miles on '01), I only got #3, plus the instrument cluster (which '99 has a different one... so no worries). The W210 E55 is quite bullet proof... yes, it has significantly less power than W211 ('03+) but it's a lot more reliable and less problematic.

If you couple more grand to spend, I'd suggest go w/ '00+. The body was updated (more integrated bumpers, better front looking, multifunction steering wheel).
Old 10-25-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by zoink
Hey, c'mon man.... he's asking for info on E55... so it belongs to this forum.

Anyway, couple things that you want to pay particular attention, most of them are cosmetics, though:
1. Dashboard crack
2. Rattles
3. MAF
4. Rust

Also make sure that you check the transmission... I'd suggest you flush it albeit clean history.

So far (after 70K miles on '01), I only got #3, plus the instrument cluster (which '99 has a different one... so no worries). The W210 E55 is quite bullet proof... yes, it has significantly less power than W211 ('03+) but it's a lot more reliable and less problematic.

If you couple more grand to spend, I'd suggest go w/ '00+. The body was updated (more integrated bumpers, better front looking, multifunction steering wheel).
wat do u think about this price...he hasnt replied back yet but this car looks pretty good...

where there anytimes that you wished u had a 00+ or something diff...because that is the feeling i dont want...

i would want to mod it neways so are there better bumpers that look better...i heard of lorensor but does that come with the 00 bumper...this 99 i woudl update tails and heads and some other stuff...tell me what you think...
Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
thanks dude....hows that M treatin u? my uncle bought one too!...not to long ago..
Old 10-26-2006, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RacerX0911
wat do u think about this price...he hasnt replied back yet but this car looks pretty good...

where there anytimes that you wished u had a 00+ or something diff...because that is the feeling i dont want...

i would want to mod it neways so are there better bumpers that look better...i heard of lorensor but does that come with the 00 bumper...this 99 i woudl update tails and heads and some other stuff...tell me what you think...
Is this private seller or dealer? And what's your location? If dealer, $16.9K is good... I'll try to offer a little lower, though... like $16K because I think dealer is far more motivated to sell than a private seller plus w/ a high mileage like that, it's gonna be tough for the dealer to sell. I always try to aim for KBB trade-in good value ($16.4K for Norcal).

But either way, I would be very careful w/ that car. It's very rare that private seller and/or dealer puts the trade-in price ($16.9K is between trade-in good & excellent). There could be something wrong w/ the car... but still there's a chance they just want a quick sale.

As for your 2nd question, I wouldn't mind getting a '99.... body parts can be upgraded.... but the problem is that it's the 1st year. I know it's a bit irrelevant... but I bought an '03 (W211) and it got so many problems that I finally forced the dealer to buy it back.

So before buying it, make sure you get the VIN and check the history to a dealer... if possible, go to the dealer where the current owner brings the car in all the time.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 PM

Is this private seller or dealer? And what's your location? If dealer, $16.9K is good... I'll try to offer a little lower, though... like $16K because I think dealer is far more motivated to sell than a private seller plus w/ a high mileage like that, it's gonna be tough for the dealer to sell. I always try to aim for KBB trade-in good value ($16.4K for Norcal).

But either way, I would be very careful w/ that car. It's very rare that private seller and/or dealer puts the trade-in price ($16.9K is between trade-in good & excellent). There could be something wrong w/ the car... but still there's a chance they just want a quick sale.

As for your 2nd question, I wouldn't mind getting a '99.... body parts can be upgraded.... but the problem is that it's the 1st year. I know it's a bit irrelevant... but I bought an '03 (W211) and it got so many problems that I finally forced the dealer to buy it back.

So before buying it, make sure you get the VIN and check the history to a dealer... if possible, go to the dealer where the current owner brings the car in all the time.

Good luck!
he is local...so many people have had this 99 and probably no about the probelsm...the things u listed above is that it? kbb brings 14,900 for good and 16K for excelent and thats in trade in value...maybe if i knock those ugly black rims off i can get a better price and im kinda scared about the milage but my uncle just bought a used e320 4 matic and its got 170K 99 too...so i dont no if the records check out and i can go see the car...
btw when i go see the car what is it that i should check to make sure the car is running in proper condition...
Old 10-27-2006, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car that has changed hands numerous times is not a good indicator. There must be a reason that all previous owners sold them quickly.

Yes, the above is the list you could do some visual check... make sure you try every single electronics (tape, electric seat, rear sunshade, sunroof, etc.)... as you know, german electronics sucks big time...

As for the engine, a good condition engine should give you smooth sound and idle. Same thing with transmission. I'd suggest you look at the car.... turn it on for couple minutes.... then test drive it. I know it's obvious... but don't push the car cold.... the transmission will jerk (and it will hurt the transmission in the long run). Also make sure you check the maintenance history. An owner who takes care of the car usually keeps all the maintenance records.

Another way is to have an MB mechanic look at it....

As for the miles, I cannot say.... but couple members have 100K+ W210 E55 and still running strong.... mine, 70K on the clock and still no mechanical problems yet. So my guess... as long as proper maintenance is done, this car could go forever.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:44 AM

A car that has changed hands numerous times is not a good indicator. There must be a reason that all previous owners sold them quickly.

Yes, the above is the list you could do some visual check... make sure you try every single electronics (tape, electric seat, rear sunshade, sunroof, etc.)... as you know, german electronics sucks big time...

As for the engine, a good condition engine should give you smooth sound and idle. Same thing with transmission. I'd suggest you look at the car.... turn it on for couple minutes.... then test drive it. I know it's obvious... but don't push the car cold.... the transmission will jerk (and it will hurt the transmission in the long run). Also make sure you check the maintenance history. An owner who takes care of the car usually keeps all the maintenance records.

Another way is to have an MB mechanic look at it....

As for the miles, I cannot say.... but couple members have 100K+ W210 E55 and still running strong.... mine, 70K on the clock and still no mechanical problems yet. So my guess... as long as proper maintenance is done, this car could go forever.
the guy says that he has all maintance records to date...are you just saying to check if it has had many owners or do you know that?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 PM

another update...he only bought the car 3K miles ago in april and has 2 other cars and one is on lease so he has to get rid of this one be4 winter...price is low cuz he wants to sell it fast...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX0911
the guy says that he has all maintance records to date...are you just saying to check if it has had many owners or do you know that?
shaver imports our benz dealer said he knows of the car and its got a perfect service history?...i need more opinions what do you guys think???
Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Test drive it... if you like it and you're comfortable w/ it, take it... the price looks good as long as the car's condition is good.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM

Test drive it... if you like it and you're comfortable w/ it, take it... the price looks good as long as the car's condition is good.
sounds good man...you're the only one that has put forth the effert to help me out...thanks