W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-10-2015, 12:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Squeaky Brakes - Is It ALL Mercedes Cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 '06
Squeaky Brakes - Is It ALL Mercedes Cars?

I was thinking about taking my E55 into the dealer Monday to have them figure out a way to STOP MY BRAKES FROM SQUEAKING SOOOO MUCH! I have been putting up with this problem since my C55 and I've heard it on my wife's ML350 and a couple of weeks ago when I had my AMG foot pedals put on at the dealer, I had a shuttle pick me up in the new R-class. Yep...even this car's brakes were SQEAKING uncontrollably!!!

So what gives MB!? I don't like to be coming to a stop only for my car to sound like the public transit BUSES!!!! This is very annoying to me and I hope someone has some suggestions on how to stop it. So far, I do the 60-0 run (at least 2 times a week). This doesn't help at all.

I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a lubricant of some kind that the dealer can apply that will take care of the issue. Anyone know exactly what this is? As I know the dealer is simply going to tell me AGAIN - "this is normal" - BULL...how come BMW and other high-end cars don't seem to have this problem? RRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGG!

Sorry for the rant but this has been THE #1 issue I've had with the MB brand!
Nick
Old 10-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Almost a Member!

My 06 squeeks every so often from day one, but so far it's intermittent. I gave it some hard braking couple of times thinking it might be dusty on the pads. But occasionally I can hear the squeek coming from a stop, normally from light driving with light braking. If I brake it hard enough on the pedal it doesn't do it. So far it's helding up fine.

As for getting the dealer fixing the squeek, they are not going to do anything other than take your current pads out and apply some type of grease or brake quieting compound, and then if it's your E55 hope your tech doesn't take it for some joy ride 'testing' your brake to see if they squeek.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
i told my sa about this b/c my mom (e55) SAID HER BRAKES squeak, he said that its the #1 complaint, #2 being excessive brake dust.

there is no cure for it, at least thats what he told me

you can take the pads out and aplly some anti squeak on it (they sell it at pep boys, auto zone.... mb also sells it)

too much of a pain the *** for me, also be very careful if you decide to remove your pads, the brakes can slam shut from the littlest things, a sa at the dealer told me that the electronic brakes took some independent mechanics fingers off b/c he didnt close the door before working on them
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 E320 with AMG bodykit
I own an E320 and my old OEM brakes used to squeak like crazy, but ever since I installed the E55 AMG brake set it's been a quiet ride (6 months now).

I haven't replaced my new AMG pads or rotors yet even though I use my car heavily. I would say I have about 10 to 12,000 miles on them by now and with no complaints whatsoever. *fingers crossed*

btw: how many miles did it take before your pads started squeaking?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
i have noticed a slight squeel from my rear brakes but can only hear it when i drop the windows. other than that no excessive squeeking. Plenty of brake dust but think its a lot to do with my driving.

AMG-fanatic; is that your 320 in your sig pic? please say that its not, and that you havent stuck V8 Kompressor badges on it! Does look the part tho! But last thing we need is someone over at m5board saying they walked a 55
Old 10-30-2006, 10:09 AM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Mine are outrageously loud. I talked with the dealer, and got the "it's normal" story. It is soooooooo annoying. If anyone has a fix, let us know!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
My E55 is the first Benz I've owned with squeaky brakes. It doesn't bother me, my Z06 is the same way. I look at it as one of the characteristics of a more aggressive pad.

Originally Posted by sly55
AMG-fanatic; is that your 320 in your sig pic? please say that its not, and that you havent stuck V8 Kompressor badges on it! Does look the part tho! But last thing we need is someone over at m5board saying they walked a 55

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing
Old 10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The Brake Squeak CAN be stopped (IF) One can find a tech that WILL take the time to do the propper job..as the complaint is a warranty item on most all the late cars....

The Rotor must be free of all defects...EDGES..Lips...Must be smooth/flat

The Brake calipers MUST be Clean via brake cleen and THEN apply lube to all contact points..AND slide pivots

The Brake Pads MUST be CLEAN and fresh..
Bevel the edges at a 45 degree
apply the MB brake paste to the METAL side of the brake pad and the Piston/pistons area

Then seat the pads with several slow stops..let sit for 30/45 min...then off you go

It Requires LOTS of EXTRA work that warranty WILL NOT pay for...
As the Dealer will just throw in a set of replacement pads and send you down the road

But If the above steps are done the squeak will go away

I did this on Problem cars when I worked for Mercedes and It Works!

It Even works on the aftermarket pads...Porterfields etc that people say squeak a lot

BTW Mercedes even has a TSB for Brake Squeak on the SLRs
As composite brakes can be a challenge to remove the squeak

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 10-30-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:36 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
The Brake Squeak CAN be stopped (IF) One can find a tech that WILL take the time to do the propper job..as the complaint is a warranty item on most all the late cars....

The Rotor must be free of all defects...EDGES..Lips...Must be smooth/flat

The Brake calipers MUST be Clean via brake cleen and THEN apply lube to all contact points..AND slide pivots

The Brake Pads MUST be CLEAN and fresh..
Bevel the edges at a 45 degree
apply the MB brake paste to the METAL side of the brake pad and the Piston/pistons area

Then seat the pads with several slow stops..let sit for 30/45 min...then off you go

It Requires LOTS of EXTRA work that warranty WILL NOT pay for...
As the Dealer will just throw in a set of replacement pads and send you down the road

But If the above steps are done the squeak will go away

I did this on Problem cars when I worked for Mercedes and It Works!

It Even works on the aftermarket pads...Porterfields etc that people say squeak a lot

BTW Mercedes even has a TSB for Brake Squeak on the SLRs
As composite brakes can be a challenge to remove the squeak

Thanks for this post. I'm taking my car back to the dealer in about 2 weeks. They've taken the pads off and applied the "stop squeak." That worked for about 5 miles. Next, they replaced the pads. That worked for about 1 day. Now, they're going to look at the rotors. I agree. The squeaking is horrible. I don't accept the statement that "all performance brakes will squeak."
Old 10-30-2006, 12:37 PM

ML350 '06
I now have 13K miles on my car but I'd say I noticed the squeaking shortly after I bought it with 10K miles at that time. It wasn't that bad at first and seems to be getting progressively worse.

I just got off the phone with the SA and he said "this is normal" and he knows it's annoying as they get a lot of these complaints. He said a customer bought an SLR (which I saw on their showroom floor about 6 months ago) and he said the brakes on that car sound "horrible" - He also said the customer paid $650K (obviously got taken to the cleaners with that MSRP) and can't stand the fact that the brakes sound so bad! I'd be pretty mad about this too! How embarrassing, pulling up to a light in a HOT car like an SLR and it sounds like an old school bus!

Ya, you guys are right, I can take it in and they can apply something to the brakes to help reduce the squeaking but he said this works 50% of the time and it's not covered under warranty. He said it's the type of pads MB uses for their cars.

I'll print out what you wrote Mark Cummins and take it in with me today to see what they say.

Or maybe I should take it to a local shop and see what they come up with. I'm sure it won't cost me as much as the stealership and they will probably be able to fix the problem.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep everyone posted to what I find.

Nick
Old 10-30-2006, 04:37 PM

'05 E55 CapriBlue
same problem here...dealer wont buy my complaint so i decided to get this,

http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...=items&catid=2

diy takes about an hour...now my car is squeaking free....
Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
If this isn't the best excuse to get some HUGE Brembo's, I don't know what is.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by Blake P
i don't think huge brembo's is the answer. i have them on my Cayenne Turbo and it squeals like a pig.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by sly55
it has to be his car, why would any1 put some1 elses car in their sig , and its obviously not stock.

fanatic, you ruined a very clean car by putting those badges on it, you idiot

i would love to see the look on some ricer civic drivers face after they smoke your ***

if i saw your car i would make it my mission to debadge it at any cost. (the seats are still stock, or did you super glue an amg badge on em? )
:liar: :liar: :liar: :liar:
Old 10-30-2006, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by Blake P
Would love to get a set of 8 piston front and 4 piston rear in black, but $$$$$ and need 19" snow tires, which is hard to find

My car's right front brake also squeaked quite a bit in the first 2000 miles, now that it has 3K on the clock, the squeak was gone (knock on wood).
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Would love to get a set of 8 piston front and 4 piston rear in black, but $$$$$ and need 19" snow tires, which is hard to find

My car's right front brake also squeaked quite a bit in the first 2000 miles, now that it has 3K on the clock, the squeak was gone (knock on wood).
might as well get 12 piston (i think alcon makes em), the stocks are 8.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
12 really doesn't add much more braking power compared to the 8...... I think it's over kill (esp. the Brabus one).

The reasons for me to go with the Brembo BBK are the weight saving (both caliper and discs), the directionality of the discs, and esthetics.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
12 really doesn't add much more braking power compared to the 8...... I think it's over kill (esp. the Brabus one).

The reasons for me to go with the Brembo BBK are the weight saving (both caliper and discs), the directionality of the discs, and esthetics.
yeah, if you wanna save weight stick w/ 8, or even 6
Old 10-31-2006, 09:56 AM

CLS55
its normal..... don't worry about it.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E320 with AMG bodykit
Originally Posted by AMG_55
it has to be his car, why would any1 put some1 elses car in their sig , and its obviously not stock.

fanatic, you ruined a very clean car by putting those badges on it, you idiot

i would love to see the look on some ricer civic drivers face after they smoke your ***

if i saw your car i would make it my mission to debadge it at any cost. (the seats are still stock, or did you super glue an amg badge on em? )
:liar: :liar: :liar: :liar:
Hey guys go easy on me okay?! hahahaha

Yeah as much as I'd hate to admit it, I have the E55 badges on my car but i DID buy it that way (honestly, it was a second hand through the dealer!)

Well that's not much of an excuse though, I could've debaged it myself but i didn't coz the AMG badge was too tempting to remove .. It's too late now coz everyone thinks it's an E55 (obviously i didn't race up against anyone yet!)..

I'm buying a Range Rover Sport HSE (which is the V8) and I would say 95% of the HSE's i've seen have been badged as the superior "supercharged" model.. With my own experience with my E320, I wouldn't do that.. No more posing for me, it just doesn't make sense and makes you feel uncomfortable

Funny thing though, during my first service at the dealer I came to know that the first owner of my car was a chick and I must say I would've never have thought I'd come across a female poser!

So to all you authentic 55's:
Old 10-31-2006, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by AMG-fanatic
I must say I would've never have thought I'd come across a female poser!
It's in their nature... makeup is just a different way of rebadging themselves!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:24 AM

CLS55
he prob has fake breasts too..... the amg stickers came w/ them.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:25 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Dogshine
he prob has fake breasts too..... the amg stickers came w/ them.
'she'
Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
So I guess I'm lucky? My C55 has not squeaked a bit.... my E55 just recently squeaked but only when the rims have not been washed for a while (dirt around the pads & calipers? ) or right after wash (typical... all cars do that). I thought that my pads are getting thinner.... SA suggested to replace the pads and rotors... but I have been holding on until my pad sensors say so.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
The E63 I tested had squeeky brakes - it had done >8000miles.

My '06 E55 has 4k miles and ntg so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes - Is It ALL Mercedes Cars?