W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little Off Topic: What do you think about E36 M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
We've had an 99 E36 Vert that was bullet proof. Very good car, although way more flex in the chassis than it should have. Other than rattles galor had no problems.

I traded for an 02 M3 and promptly had a blown motor. Replaced it with a 03 which has been flawless.

The major difference imo is the suspension. There is a tremendous amount of suspension travel in the earlier car. Personally I thought it was way too soft but my wife liked it. The new M3 has a much superior suspension and handling. You'd have to go to an aftermarket suspension to get acceptable handling I would think.

BTW my friend that is a ASE mercedes, bmw porsche mechanic own our first BMW and is still driving it with well over 100k on it. Other than slightly dull paint and a worn interior it's still running prfectly.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by zoink
Thanks for the response.... Damn, you guys wake up early on Saturday or just came back home?

OK... we'll see how it goes. My cousin will fix the A/C and airbag sensor first. And have a BMW veteran mechanic look at it... if everything is good, I'll fly there and try it myself.

BTW, for those mod freaks on this car, how much is it to get short shifter, cams, header, exhaust, chip, etc.? If my budget is $2K, what's the best bang for the buck mod aside from suspension & wheels & tires?
i paid $500 for the exhaust, 700 for the chip (re flash) and 50 for the k&n, i gutted the airbox and it was making close to 280hp. the rest i would spend on a nice flip out head unit and some springs.

hks super dragger was the most hp for the $ at the time (as far as exhausts go), not sure about now.
jim conforti was the best hp gain re flash available, 17-21hp, the exhaust was 14 hp
goodluck, i really hope it works out for you, its one of the greatest cars, and ive driven many cars.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
One thing you have to be careful with is the 3rd-4th gear shift at redline. A lot of people have accidently shifted into 2nd gear instead of 4th blowing their motors.
aka the money shift
Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by //AMG KING
for $31k u can buy or build a 600 WHP E36 M3...
Notice it says obo. From what I hear he's willing to dip well into the 20's. But hey if you can build a 600whp E36 M3 for $31k then more power to you.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Vetluver
We've had an 99 E36 Vert that was bullet proof. Very good car, although way more flex in the chassis than it should have. Other than rattles galor had no problems.

I traded for an 02 M3 and promptly had a blown motor. Replaced it with a 03 which has been flawless.

The major difference imo is the suspension. There is a tremendous amount of suspension travel in the earlier car. Personally I thought it was way too soft but my wife liked it. The new M3 has a much superior suspension and handling. You'd have to go to an aftermarket suspension to get acceptable handling I would think.

BTW my friend that is a ASE mercedes, bmw porsche mechanic own our first BMW and is still driving it with well over 100k on it. Other than slightly dull paint and a worn interior it's still running prfectly.
We still have a 99 vert that my wife drives in the summer, and I couldn't think of a better sports sedan value. If you can buy a 90k mile example for less than 10k you should jump on it immediately, assuming it checks out. The stock suspension could be much improved, and is usually shot by 60,000 miles. Make this your first mod.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
I have one for sale if someone is interested.I went and test drove the new 335 and when I got back in my car I laughed and thought BMW was going in the wrong direction.I then realised what the M ment and will wait fot the next M3.

I will sell mine for 13k

heres my add from the other forum.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=601203

I don't have the 3.38 LSD in anymore.I blew that diff up 3 weeks ago and put in a 3.15 LSD from a 95 M3

I can give you the 3.38 and you could biuld a sick 3.64 LSD(wich I was about to do)for about 400

I also didnt order the front spoiler because they sold out of the one with the seperate lip

some might not like the way mine rides tho.It is a little to solid and will follow the road and feel everything your run over.With the all the solid bushings everywhere it sends all the vibrations to the driver...
Old 11-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
The E36 M3 is my favorite car of all time.

I have owned 2 a '95 Avus Blue and a '98.5 Titanium Silver (which I sold to my brother).

The most sublime handling coupe I have had the chance to drive. The best of BMW in a handsome package.

In fact, I am currently in the market for a 97-98 sedan for daily driver duties.

Here is a pic of my TiAg beauty before I shipped it over to my brother.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by zoink
This E36 was found by my cousin (he has a dealer). '98, yellow 4-door, manual, all stock, 90K on the clock... He just took it yesterday... so far everything looks good except the A/C is not working and airbag sensors may be bad. I think I could get it couple grand under $10K. That's why I said it's a killer deal... over here in CA, it still sells for around $15K for similar miles. So if I use it for 2 years, I may not lose anything other than maintenance, gas and insurance - assuming it doesn't die on me
I drove a '98 M3 coupe for seven years and over 70,000 miles until selling it for the E60 M5. The M3 is a terrific, fun and very reliable car. From your description of the car, the price is closer to "reasonable" than to a "killer deal." The resale values on the yellow M3s always have been significantly lower than all other colors.