W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jangy gets to go to Willow Springs on 11/21/2006 with Symbolic!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Jangy gets to go to Willow Springs on 11/21/2006 with Symbolic!!

Yup Yup...my boy just called and gave me the invite. Looks like Symbolic will is renting the track for a day and I even get to take the E. we will get to drive all of the Symbolic cars during the day and then they will have an open track session where I get to see how my E compares to the AMG challenge cars i drove there. I'm hoping to hit 150mph on that track.

I wish i had a video camera for you haters, but I'm sure I'll get a few snaps on the digital anyway.

I also plan to follow up on the idea of getting some tuning done at Symbolic.

Stay tuned...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hmmm, I better find out where the heck I'm to go. Their website says:

November 21 (Tuesday)
November 22 (Wednesday)

Willow Springs Track Day
Hosted by Symbolic Motors

Symbolic has reserved the Willow Springs Raceway for our exclusive use. We'll be bringing several race cars, including a Ferrari F1, Arrows F1, F3000 2-seater and a Lotus Super 7. These will be available for testing and rides for guests.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMGs
Originally Posted by jangy
Yup Yup...my boy just called and gave me the invite. Looks like Symbolic will is renting the track for a day and I even get to take the E. we will get to drive all of the Symbolic cars during the day and then they will have an open track session where I get to see how my E compares to the AMG challenge cars i drove there. I'm hoping to hit 150mph on that track.

I wish i had a video camera for you haters, but I'm sure I'll get a few snaps on the digital anyway.

I also plan to follow up on the idea of getting some tuning done at Symbolic.

Stay tuned...
Jangy,

You can borrow my camera bro... I will give you the whole thing so that you can charge the batteries too.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Where you at now? I'm leaving at 7am and i know you don't like to get up.

I'm trying to call around to make sure we go to the right track.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Hmmm, I better find out where the heck I'm to go. Their website says:

November 21 (Tuesday)
November 22 (Wednesday)

Willow Springs Track Day
Hosted by Symbolic Motors

Symbolic has reserved the Willow Springs Raceway for our exclusive use. We'll be bringing several race cars, including a Ferrari F1, Arrows F1, F3000 2-seater and a Lotus Super 7. These will be available for testing and rides for guests.
If you are going to the big track at willow you need to come back and post your lap time. A video showing your lap would be nice too so go shopping for a cheap camera tonight. Cheap ones work better at the track for some reason. The big spiffy ones try to hard to stabilize the image and they get all confused. Also, Set the zoom all the way out for the best perspective.

What the fee to get in?

Was there last Wednesday drove the C32, BMW track car and a caymann S.

You should just go with a club where you pay 140 for a day and you get 2-3 hrs of track time. It’s the way to go if you just want seat time. NASA is good if you want to do more organized time trial events. Nasa's HPDE sessions are too short and make the day drag on and on....

Take a pyrometer so you can take tire temps when you come racing into the hot pit. Would like to see tire temps for the E55 on the drivers front after say 10 laps. If all your temps are even across the tire all is well but if not the alignment could be off or tire temps need to be adjusted. That track is not THAT hard on brakes so your OEM's should be fine. Your driver’s front tire will be toast by the end of the day if you drive it for 2-3 hrs of track time.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 11-20-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Where you at now? I'm leaving at 7am and i know you don't like to get up.

I'm trying to call around to make sure we go to the right track.
Leaving at 7 am to go to Palmdale? Oh come now Jangy!!!! You should be at the track at 7 am when the gates open to get ready like real track day ******!!

Are you going to willow or fontana?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Leaving at 7 am to go to Palmdale? Oh come now Jangy!!!! You should be at the track at 7 am when the gates open to get ready like real track day ******!!

Are you going to willow or fontana?
Dude, I am a guest so I go when they want to roll. I'd go up there tonight and stay in a hotel if it were my choice.

I CAN"T WAIT!!! I'm less interested in how the E does and more into driving the race cars!!

Can't beat it for a free day. Not really sure what their agenda is, but I figured it would be fun.

I figure I can stop on the way up and buy a camera. the mount is already in, but I don't even know how many laps I'll get in on the E. They will probably have their cars on the track most of the time. I also don't know how many people are going so I may get to do 1 lap or I may get to ride all day.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 PM

07 E63,03 c4s,01 tahoe, 00 RL
Jangy way to go, enjoy your ride.
make the sd crew happy,considering it's al
so my b/day. would have wanted to be spectator.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by 03c4s
Jangy way to go, enjoy your ride.
make the sd crew happy,considering it's al
so my b/day. would have wanted to be spectator.

There will be other chances. How is the fun in the sun? When do you come back? we need to clean up the family room a bit first.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
As always, I screwed up the thrad's name. It was indeed at Willow. the big track and not the streets. Killer course. I loved it. The F1 cars were sick. Ferrari was sicker. Spyker was just ok. All the cars were the same as at the Carlsbad meet the prior week, so see those pics for the model Ferrari.

The E kicked Butt. Here is what it did against the field:

Lotus Exige: I ate the lotus within about 1/4 lap and ended up lapping it in about 4 laps.

Spyker: He knew the car/track better than me, so he walked me down, but as I followed, it took him 2 laps to finally get away. I never got to run against him at late day when I got comfy and 100 octane gas.

Z06: Fully stock, with 1000 miles on it. We were very close, but I made about 1/4 lap on him in 6 laps.

Continental GT (with pro racer driving): I was all in his butt. Very fun.

Ferarri: not even a challenge. He was WAAAY to fast for me. I have no idea what the specs are on that car, but it hauls.

997s: Stock. I wooped it.

Mustang fastback (60s car) race car: Too easy for me. He had no handling.

SLK55 ('07): exact same as the Lotus'

Top speed was 125 on both front and back straights. I was all over the outside of the tires, so more camber will definitely NOT be bad. Brake heat was bad, as I get on them hard.

The track is OUTRAGEOUS!! Lots of fun and very fast. A few 80 - 100 mph turns that are great.

100 octane makes a BIG difference

All in all, same results as at Palomar, but safer.

Pics to come. I am packing to head to Tahoe.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 PM

cclass05
damn that sounds fun. i never been on a track i wanna go one day but i will suck so much i will probably end up gettin rear ended with 100mph cuz i will be driving so slow. Can i put 100 octane in my car? 05 c230 kompressor and if i can u think will make big diff? did u make a video or u only took pics?

Last edited by slammedcclass; 11-22-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
As always, I screwed up the thrad's name. It was indeed at Willow. the big track and not the streets. Killer course. I loved it. The F1 cars were sick. Ferrari was sicker. Spyker was just ok. All the cars were the same as at the Carlsbad meet the prior week, so see those pics for the model Ferrari.

The E kicked Butt. Here is what it did against the field:

Lotus Exige: I ate the lotus within about 1/4 lap and ended up lapping it in about 4 laps.

Spyker: He knew the car/track better than me, so he walked me down, but as I followed, it took him 2 laps to finally get away. I never got to run against him at late day when I got comfy and 100 octane gas.

Z06: Fully stock, with 1000 miles on it. We were very close, but I made about 1/4 lap on him in 6 laps.

Continental GT (with pro racer driving): I was all in his butt. Very fun.

Ferarri: not even a challenge. He was WAAAY to fast for me. I have no idea what the specs are on that car, but it hauls.

997s: Stock. I wooped it.

Mustang fastback (60s car) race car: Too easy for me. He had no handling.

SLK55 ('07): exact same as the Lotus'

Top speed was 125 on both front and back straights. I was all over the outside of the tires, so more camber will definitely NOT be bad. Brake heat was bad, as I get on them hard.

The track is OUTRAGEOUS!! Lots of fun and very fast. A few 80 - 100 mph turns that are great.

100 octane makes a BIG difference

All in all, same results as at Palomar, but safer.

Pics to come. I am packing to head to Tahoe.
It is all useless until you put up your lap time.

I have seen a lotus driven by a horrible driver go in the 1:50 bracket, I have seen a stock lotus sport do it in 1:32, I have passed coutless Z-06's and everything in the middle.

Driver again is the difference here.

Did you run ESP on or off? How did the car get out of 2,3, 5, and 9? Speed at the end of the front straight was 125? For reference I get to 135 coming into 1 with a nice exit from 9. Glad the brakes held up. Regardless of camber the tire will still fold over on a heavy car -- but my E55 never really has much side wall wear with 2.5 negative now-- way to much for street use as the tires are almost toast. Finally got the C32 up to 3 degrees negative with some tricks and now we have inside and center tire wear issues. Time to lower pressures and dial out some caster. We still used the same pressures from when we had 1.25 degrees negative and that is way to high for a car with 3 degrees. Tire temps on the outside were very cold after every session.

Maybe I need to just come out and have you to one of our track days to see whats the deal =-)

When it comes to tracks the big track is fairly "boring" but its close to home and very quick (which if fun in a high power car).

Looking forward to the pics.

I run with pro racers all the time at the track and most are not pushing the car to the limit all the time. Most are just out having fun. The Bentely tips the scales at 6k lbs. Not exactly a track car.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 11-22-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Let's see some lap times! For comparison, I ran my best time a 1:37 in an e36 m3. If you are in the high 1:40's low 1:50's you are flying in a fat four door.

Last edited by L8Apex; 11-22-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 PM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
1:21 in My Radical. Turn 8/9 gets pretty hairy, a great neck workout.

Cyrus

Last edited by CyE55; 11-22-2006 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Add a few more words
Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It is all useless until you put up your lap time.

We had no stop watches, etc. It was just open track, so no times. Sorry it is a waste, but I had a thrill.

I have seen a lotus driven by a horrible driver go in the 1:50 bracket, I have seen a stock lotus sport do it in 1:32, I have passed coutless Z-06's and everything in the middle.

The lotus was stock, with Yoko advans. The Zo6 was stock, except seats.

Driver again is the difference here.

I was the ONLY non-professional driver

Did you run ESP on or off? Mostly ON and tranny in S. Car low as RENN module goes. NO rake, as I was trying to get some of the weight off the front left tire.

How did the car get out of 2,3, 5, and 9?
Turn 2 was the strongest point for me. I had some excellent power out of the turn. Pushed all the way to the dirt. That is where the E55 shined and the power showed.
Turn 3: VERY tight. One of my weak points on the day. Very hard braking going in, then gained a little on the hill climb, but the rear kept coming out first. The lotus' were smoother, but couldn't really carry more speed even in the turn.
Turn 5: Another fun one. Got the slide down to where I was on max power at apex and barely lifting off into 6. Kept it floored all the way through 7th and slammed brakes at open of 8 and then steady back on hard. VERY FUN and section where the E ate everyone up. Typically, 7 was where I passed most people.
Turn 9: Second apex braking was easy, but getting a nice line to get a slingshot out of 9 was tricky. I got better and did best when I followed a good racer (line) out of it.

Speed at the end of the front straight was 125? For reference I get to 135 coming into 1 with a nice exit from 9.
Agreed that 125 was not good. Timing the turn 9 exit is what that is all about. My best lap was 136mph before braking for turn 1. That really is the only reference for me. What speed do you hit before 8? Mine was 130mph.

Glad the brakes held up. Regardless of camber the tire will still fold over on a heavy car -- but my E55 never really has much side wall wear with 2.5 negative now-- way to much for street use as the tires are almost toast.

The main wear point was the front left. It had all the load. So many right handers.

Finally got the C32 up to 3 degrees negative with some tricks and now we have inside and center tire wear issues. Time to lower pressures and dial out some caster. We still used the same pressures from when we had 1.25 degrees negative and that is way to high for a car with 3 degrees. Tire temps on the outside were very cold after every session.
Maybe I need to just come out and have you to one of our track days to see whats the deal =-)

I think we may need to. Just keep all the history in mind when you "update" the folks as to the outcome.

When it comes to tracks the big track is fairly "boring" but its close to home and very quick (which if fun in a high power car).

definitely fun in the E, and yes can get old. But, fun for my first day. i took a look at the streets and it would be a different story there as my power would not make up as much as my weight.

Looking forward to the pics.

I run with pro racers all the time at the track and most are not pushing the car to the limit all the time. Most are just out having fun. The Bentely tips the scales at 6k lbs. Not exactly a track car.

Agreed on the Bentely and the drivers, but he isn't just any old pro AND he was trying (we talked).
Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 PM

05E55
Originally Posted by CyE55

Cyrus
That's not fair!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

Cyrus

8/9 is so much fun. Definitely shows if you try. I was lucky and didn't go too wide. i had visions of the dirt pile, though.

Does anyone know how long that track is so we can figure out avg speeds?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by L8Apex
That's not fair!!!!
Slight hijack - How do you like your 3.6? I was looking for one about a year ago.

Cyrus

p.s. Cool dedication to Pipes.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Slight hijack - How do you like your 3.6? I was looking for one about a year ago.

Cyrus

p.s. Cool dedication to Pipes.
Agreed on the Pipes. Had no idea what that was. God Bless America and the ones that defend her.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 PM

8/9 is so much fun. Definitely shows if you try. I was lucky and didn't go too wide. i had visions of the dirt pile, though.

You can go wide out of 9. Use the Pit In, gives you that "sligshot" effect you're looking for. If you hit the apex right, it will let you ride out to the Pit In, with the hammer down.

Definitely tests the Cojones. But the track is not very technical. Glad you had fun. We should get a group out to Spring Mountain, I can get a group deal out there, and a side trip to Vegas where we can talk about our experience.

What say you Jangy, L8?

Cyrus
Old 11-22-2006, 11:33 PM

Track is 2.5 miles long.

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/.../nineturns.asp

Cyrus
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
You can go wide out of 9. Use the Pit In, gives you that "sligshot" effect you're looking for. If you hit the apex right, it will let you ride out to the Pit In, with the hammer down.

Definitely tests the Cojones. But the track is not very technical. Glad you had fun. We should get a group out to Spring Mountain, I can get a group deal out there, and a side trip to Vegas where we can talk about our experience.

What say you Jangy, L8?

Cyrus

I'd be down. I am getting more and more comfy with the car and getting off the street and onto a track is a good idea.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 AM

05E55
I'm down for a track day. However, I can't make it until mid to late January.

Cy,
The 3.6 is awesome. The car has a Dr. Jeykl and Mr. Hyde personality. When the boost hits its a real kick in the ****. It was one of my dream cars so I had to have it.

Pipes was a true warrior and a great friend. I miss him.

Jangy,

Did they have an actual Ferrari F1 car out there?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:10 AM

The schedule for available dates at Spring Mountain is not out yet for '07, but as soon as it is, I'll post the available days, I'll shoot for some time in February, it will be fun!

L8, bring the 3.6! I'll have the E, and my Radical.

Cyrus

Last edited by CyE55; 11-23-2006 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-23-2006, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
and my Radical.

Cyrus

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jangy gets to go to Willow Springs on 11/21/2006 with Symbolic!!