Sponsored by:

No Tire Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Exclamation No Tire Squeal

I know this sounds goofy, but I can't figure out what's wrong with my tires or rear suspension. For the last couple of months my rear tires will spin without making a sound. It's as if I'm on ice, no squeal at all. It doesn't matter if I get on it from the dig or if I floor the car at a roll. I thought it was because of the cold weather, but for the last two days temps have been in the high 60's and the result has been the same. I have PS 2's and have fairly good tread. I know the rear tires are breaking loose because ESP flashes and rear end comes around. So what's going on?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Your tires may have gone hard. Sometimes just being cold can do it. it all means you are not making good adhesion to the ground.

Sometimes tires go hard. how does she handle? I'd be careful throwing it before you verify your tires are sticking
Old 11-27-2006, 12:02 AM

2003 E55 K1
Originally Posted by jangy
Your tires may have gone hard. Sometimes just being cold can do it. it all means you are not making good adhesion to the ground.

Sometimes tires go hard. how does she handle? I'd be careful throwing it before you verify your tires are sticking
I never heard of tires going hard! Tires are only 6 months old. Is there anyway of checking that would convince dealer they should be replaced? Can this be reversed?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:10 AM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Its the road surface you are driving on. Try on a newly paved road and they will squeel.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Coalman
I never heard of tires going hard! Tires are only 6 months old. Is there anyway of checking that would convince dealer they should be replaced? Can this be reversed?

If it happenned due to temp swings, then nothing that can be done. It will actually maintain its warranty, so i do not think you will get any dealer help. Simply put, the rubber denatures when exposed to extreme temps. Sometimes it is only a "layer". Many get theirs shaved down and end up with nice healthy rubber under. Others end up with rocks through and through. I'd guess the PS2s can be salvaged. Give them some nice power on some clean roads and see if it doesn't get better.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
there are many factors, road surface, tire condition, age of tires...

tires do become "hard" after a while, i learned the hard way, imagine a 140 s500 (w/ 19in brabus,255fr, 285rr)going sideways at 60+ on pico during rush hour , with 5 kids in it (we were ditching school, those were the good ol days)

when i was changing the tires on it i was told that the rear (bought used) were 3 years old and thats why they were slippery, i knew there was something wrong, i just didnt know what, that car never even chirped before we threw those tires on it
Old 11-27-2006, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Water on pavement?