W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

TO THOSE WHO SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE! installing an aftermarket hu is simple! DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006 | 11:07 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Futuredocwe55
jangy you are such a nice guy =) kudos to you chief... i NEVER use the steering wheel controls and am still wondering why people are so obsessed over them.

I'm studying for the USMLE =) AKA boards for the MD

sooo anybody know where this VSS wire is at all?

oh jangy I changed the title of my post just for you... lmao
Is that similar to the FLEX?
Old 12-08-2006 | 12:40 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by benzmodz
The word performance is not the same word as quality.
Yes, and most decent aftermarket radios are better in both regards.

The car is made with a complete integration included which is about 80-90 million dollars worth of development just for the entertainment side and another 100 million for the head unit.
Thats some pretty good insight you got there... care to share your sources?

For anyone who is interested in resale value there is no point in discussing aftermarket units and cutting wires. The market is slowly going MOST optical and what will happen after a few years is that some of the larger players will enter with some reasonable products.
There you go with that awesome insight again. What larger players are you talking about?

Any decent shop can install an aftermarket radio without cutting wires, so while you wait for your optical solution to come out in a couple years, I'll be enjoying my DVD/TV-Tuner/Navigation/Satellite Radio, high voltage RCA output, 5.1 processor, parametric equalizer, aftermarket headunit today.

To me, many of these products appear extremely primitive and backward.
Exactly.... "Many", not all. If done correctly I don't see a problem.
Old 12-08-2006 | 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by bigjuice
Any decent shop can install an aftermarket radio without cutting wires, so while you wait for your optical solution to come out in a couple years, I'll be enjoying my DVD/TV-Tuner/Navigation/Satellite Radio, high voltage RCA output, 5.1 processor, parametric equalizer, aftermarket headunit today.
The Euro spec offers many more options than USA spec. Most people change the head unit for the Euro version. At least then it retains resale value and integration.

My C has digital TV, 2 RCA inputs for AV, voice control, 10 speaker surround sound and total integration with my car. What makes you think that the factory doesnt have the solution ?
Old 12-08-2006 | 07:41 PM

04 E55
The Euro spec offers many more options than USA spec. Most people change the head unit for the Euro version. At least then it retains resale value and integration.

My C has digital TV, 2 RCA inputs for AV, voice control, 10 speaker surround sound and total integration with my car. What makes you think that the factory doesnt have the solution ?
You know, all that matters is that you're happy with the sound and functionality of your current setup... that's great!!!

The next chance you get, however, please sit in a car with a top notch upgraded audio system, preferably one that belongs to an audiophile or a purist and take a listen... no stock system in any car will compare, and many people, myself included, will give up the steering wheel controls to have this sound.
Old 12-08-2006 | 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by bigjuice
You know, all that matters is that you're happy with the sound and functionality of your current setup... that's great!!!

The next chance you get, however, please sit in a car with a top notch upgraded audio system, preferably one that belongs to an audiophile or a purist and take a listen... no stock system in any car will compare, and many people, myself included, will give up the steering wheel controls to have this sound.
I hear all these myths about magnificent car audio and most of it doesnt even compare that well to low end home theatre systems.

Then again I like listening to tuned instruments not sampled distortions based on random noises.
Old 12-08-2006 | 08:01 PM

04 E55
I hear all these myths about magnificent car audio and most of it doesnt even compare that well to low end home theatre systems.

Then again I like listening to tuned instruments not sampled distortions based on random noises.
That's common knowledge that home audio blows away car audio... nothing new. The difference between home and car audio is the same as between aftermarket and factory car systems.
Old 12-08-2006 | 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.........I suppose one can argue about anything, but arguing that there are no aftermarket audio systems that sound better than the OEM mercedes one is a bit strange because it is not even close being true. With aftermarket systems, you loose the benefits of full integration. I prefer full integration so I stick with OEM head unit. I am not sure if you guys are having a purely intellectual exercise or if your are serious. Is there a joke somewhere that we are all missing?

Ted
Old 12-08-2006 | 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.........I suppose one can argue about anything, but arguing that there are no aftermarket audio systems that sound better than the OEM mercedes one is a bit strange because it is not even close being true. With aftermarket systems, you loose the benefits of full integration. I prefer full integration so I stick with OEM head unit. I am not sure if you guys are having a purely intellectual exercise or if your are serious. Is there a joke somewhere that we are all missing?

Ted
It comes down to dollars over benefit. I really think it also takes into consideration resale value of the car as a measure of total cost.

I hardly see anyone rushing to pull out OEM HU. Clearly, car yards feel differently about "high end" customs systems ... which we all agree are nothing special in the audio world.