Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Dyno Procedure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Recommended Dyno Procedure?

I've had my car about a month now, and am ready to have it dyno'ed to establish a baseline for measurement of gains with planned mods. I've always owned manual transmission cars in the past, so I have a few questions about dynoing an auto tranny E55:

1) What are the recommended chassis attachment points for the front and rear dyno straps?

2) Are the dyno pulls made in a single gear (e.g., 4th)?

3) What's the basic procedure for a pull? I assume you set the tranmission mode to "M", shift it into 4th gear, and then just floor the accelerator. Is this correct? Traction control off I assume? Any other vehicle control settings need to get an accurate read?

4) Does the engine have a soft rev limiter, and if so, when you're doing the dyno pull, is it safe to assume the engine will just cut our when it hits the limiter?

5) As a engine safety precaution, what's the maximum RPMs I should pull the engine up to?

Anything else I need to know? TIA.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I can answer a couple of um

2) Are the dyno pulls made in a single gear (e.g., 4th)?
yes always 4th....EVEN if your dyno guys says no.

3) What's the basic procedure for a pull? I assume you set the tranmission mode to "M", shift it into 4th gear, and then just floor the accelerator. Is this correct? Traction control off I assume? Any other vehicle control settings need to get an accurate read?
yup that's bout it.......Wait for dyno guy to give you the green light to stomp it though. Most dyno guys don't have a clue as to the mountain of torque that is coming their way, so let him know it's throwing everything at him at 2500rpms so he straps it down tight and starts the dyno at lower rpms. Oh yeah...once it's in dyno mode.....nearly everything is shut off. ESP etc..... so no need to worry bout what to leave on and off.

4) Does the engine have a soft rev limiter, and if so, when you're doing the dyno pull, is it safe to assume the engine will just cut our when it hits the limiter?
Fuel pump will shut you down, but honestly it's not making any extra HP or TQ (actually starts to decline) at that high rpm so most guys roll to like +/- 5800-6000 or so and shut down. Othwise you are adding heat for no reason. Do it once if you'd like, but then I would shut it down a tick early on next runs. Heatsoak cometh quickly.

5) As a engine safety precaution, what's the maximum RPMs I should pull the engine up to?
Fuel pump limiter will take good care of you.....you'll be fine.

See below how it drops off after 6K

Last edited by Jakpro1; 12-04-2006 at 05:38 PM.