Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 AM
kip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
e55 w211 quality/reliability

Hi!

I am looking for a w211 2003-2004 and have a few questions that I hope you could help me with (Sorry to ask trivial questions!).

-Does the e55 have a timing belt like in the Audi S6 that needs to be replaced or is there a chain like in the BMW V8's with no need for replacement (most important question!).

-Anything to look for before buying (special e55 amg problems) except for the IC failure, are these quality cars? There has been a lot of debate on the e-class reliability.

-Any problems in the winter (we have a really cold/long winter)? Eg. with the Panorama roof? What winter tires do you use, anyone on the board use winter tyres with spikes?

-I have heard about problems with the keyless-go, is it something to avoid?

-Is the speedtronic automatic speed control radar guided?

-Is the parctronic always also in the front.

-Is the satellite navigation of 2003/ 2004 models CD based or are they DVD?

Thanks for your help!

KIP
Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Here is the info I can help with

-Does the e55 have a timing belt like in the Audi S6 that needs to be replaced or is there a chain like in the BMW V8's with no need for replacement (most important question!).
Timing chain and she is pretty stout. Not many guy with real high mileage so time will tell how the chains hold up.

-Anything to look for before buying (special e55 amg problems) except for the IC failure, are these quality cars? There has been a lot of debate on the e-class reliability.
Just make sure to run that Carfax. If it's a dealer buyback, it's gonna be a headache.

-I have heard about problems with the keyless-go, is it something to avoid?
No way, Keyless is one my favorite features on the car!!

-Is the speedtronic automatic speed control radar guided?
Yes, not sure what band though....some of the other guys will chime in. I never had trouble with radar detector with it.

-Is the parctronic always also in the front.
No, Parktronic is in the rear as well. If you look in the rearview mirror, you can see the bars behind you. Another awesome feature for garage parking in my opinion.

-Is the satellite navigation of 2003/ 2004 models CD based or are they DVD?
Can't get factory Nav on 2003, but you can have Steve install it for you. 04's and on have Nav and it is DVD based.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times....GET A WARRANTY...ANY KIND...JUST GET ONE.

Supercharger alone on these runs up to 10,000$, you toast one outside of warranty and the Benz dealer will look at you and lauuughh and lauuuughhh (Elaine from Seinfeld)

Any other questions...post on up.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Actually, factory Nav was still an option on 2004-up. However, adding-on a factory nav is much easier than on 2003 models.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:02 AM
kip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Here is the info I can help with

Timing chain and she is pretty stout. Not many guy with real high mileage so time will tell how the chains hold up.

Just make sure to run that Carfax. If it's a dealer buyback, it's gonna be a headache.

No way, Keyless is one my favorite features on the car!!

Yes, not sure what band though....some of the other guys will chime in. I never had trouble with radar detector with it.

No, Parktronic is in the rear as well. If you look in the rearview mirror, you can see the bars behind you. Another awesome feature for garage parking in my opinion.

Can't get factory Nav on 2003, but you can have Steve install it for you. 04's and on have Nav and it is DVD based.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times....GET A WARRANTY...ANY KIND...JUST GET ONE.

Supercharger alone on these runs up to 10,000$, you toast one outside of warranty and the Benz dealer will look at you and lauuughh and lauuuughhh (Elaine from Seinfeld)

Any other questions...post on up.
Thanks for your answers! The problem in Finland are high prices and no possibility for warranty! a 2003 model costs still 120000 euros = 154000 USD!
Here is an example:

http://www.oikotie.fi/cache?exit=sho...sed&s_index=91

This is why the knowledge about what could go wrong and will it is important!
Also I would appreciate experiences of use in winter, because it gets really cold here in winter (except this winter)...

Thanks again!

KIP

Last edited by kip; 01-12-2007 at 03:05 AM.