Sponsored by:

JAKPRO - Please give "Pros/Cons" to 2.82 install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
JAKPRO - Please give "Pros/Cons" to 2.82 install

Hey Jakpro - Hope all is well with your BEAST!!
Can you give a good synopsis of the 2.82 rear-end install as to the positives and negatives.
ie: issues, performance gains (or losses), etc....

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kens-E55
Hey Jakpro - Hope all is well with your BEAST!!
Can you give a good synopsis of the 2.82 rear-end install as to the positives and negatives.
ie: issues, performance gains (or losses), etc....

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks
I installed it on a SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Really hard in Winter....I can only take the car out a few times a month as I like to have it on the roads when they are reallllly clear of salt etc. Coming up to a longer stretch of dry weather up here so I will get it out some more and get some more impressions.

From the few times I have taken it on longer drives so far.

1) It's NOT the sit and spin many said it would be, although there are slightly increased traction problems on launches. K2 Car, High Flow IC Pump, SLR Cams, VRUS Throttle Body, EVO Wires and Spacers and 2.82 rear, kinda expected that though.

2) Cory said it and it's 100% true, car is a new animal on the mid range end (60-100+) where we always start getting killed (see M5 vids). Not even sure why that is, but she just stands up and walks (60-100+). I thought higher gears give you more out of the hole and less on the upper ends? I know my top speed is of course reduced, but don't plan on bumpin up against 200mph anytime soon.

3) Cons of course...the friggin price. Would save someone thousands if they could figure out if the E63 gears would slip nicely into our diffs. Then you would just shim it out, have Klee reflash the tranny chip and you're done. My route was new SL55 rear and totals ran well into the 7-9K range for everything. I needed new half shafts too so you non "early 2003" guys don't have to worry bout that and can subtract 1600 from those figures.

A certain member here is working on the gearing install without the new rear, but they wanna remain anonymous for now, so if they come forward with their results, it would be great. If they wanna keep it a secret, we'll have to wait for the next guy.....or gal.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Heh....all this talk and I really haven't put the car against any other E55's yet. Watch me line up with Rudyrono or Dragon and get my a$$ kicked.

Who knows. Be good to actually find out. Planning Spring trip down to Rudy/Dragon town.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I'm game, but I'm not so sure who would be reading who's license plate. I know you guys have had horrible weather up there. So...you'll have to make a drive to Vegas.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Really hard in Winter....I can only take the car out a few times a month as I like to have it on the roads when they are reallllly clear of salt etc. Coming up to a longer stretch of dry weather up here so I will get it out some more and get some more impressions.

From the few times I have taken it on longer drives so far.

1) It's NOT the sit and spin many said it would be, although there are slightly increased traction problems on launches. K2 Car, High Flow IC Pump, SLR Cams, VRUS Throttle Body, EVO Wires and Spacers and 2.82 rear, kinda expected that though.

2) Cory said it and it's 100% true, car is a new animal on the mid range end (60-100+) where we always start getting killed (see M5 vids). Not even sure why that is, but she just stands up and walks (60-100+). I thought higher gears give you more out of the hole and less on the upper ends? I
know my top speed is of course reduced, but don't plan on bumpin up against 200mph anytime soon.

3) Cons of course...the friggin price. Would save someone thousands if they could figure out if the E63 gears would slip nicely into our diffs. Then you would just shim it out, have Klee reflash the tranny chip and you're done. My route was new SL55 rear and totals ran well into the 7-9K range for everything. I needed new half shafts too so you non "early 2003" guys don't have to worry bout that and can subtract 1600 from those figures.

A certain member here is working on the gearing install without the new rear, but they wanna remain anonymous for now, so if they come forward with their results, it would be great. If they wanna keep it a secret, we'll have to wait for the next guy.....or gal.
Thanks for the feedback JAKPRO. I'm either going to go with the 2.82 or considering even the 3.07 from the E63 (if they fit). 99% of my driving is 0-90mph so not real concerned about "The extra 3-4 shift in the 1/4mi" if I go with the 3.07. I'm more interested in the daily drivability and "snap-neck" performance that shorter gears would give me. Again-Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks,
Ken S.