Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IC Cooling Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 AM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
IC Cooling Upgrade Question

I am in the process of making a decision about an IC cooling upgrade to my 05 E55. I note that the Evo kit actually separates the engine coolant cycle from the IC coolant cycle. Even though the larger heat exchanger and additional resevoir for the IC portion increases the "total" volume of coolant in the car, it seems like separating the two cycles actually reduces the amount of coolant in each separate cycle. This must ultimately help, as I have found no negative posts about this upgrade, but is it possible that separating the two coolant cycles may increase heat build-up in the regular engine cycle as it has less volume of circulating coolant? I know, I know -- I am prone to over-thinking things, but I like to be sure I have all the info before taking the leap on mods.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i fabricated my own seperate I/C system for the C32 and the engine definitely runs cooler than before when everything was a part of one system...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Definitely split it.. I was seeing +5 to +10dg over ambient with this setup...

I am working on replacing the Evosport front-mount with a larger unit and having a heat dispersement coating put on (supposedly allows a 20% increase in heat dispersement vs no coating).. This should improve things even further.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Hey Victor...Love the new sig....hehehehehelol! I guess you lost track of the HP, TQ and mods.
The following users liked this post:
fkong777 (11-18-2019)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Would it not be better to replace the Behr heat exchanger with one custom larger unit? With two units you run into restrictions pumping through the connecting pipes etc or ... ??

The split circuit is a good idea, but you definately need to have a larger water volume for the IC. On a hot day in traffic its going to cook if you dont have sufficient volume.

Any clue what the water temp is coming out of radiator (cold side) going into the heat exchanger?

Also, while the circuit is linked does the IC pump not only flow water in and out of the heatexchanger or does it pump it back into the motor radiator?

Last edited by stevebez; 01-30-2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Definitely split it.. I was seeing +5 to +10dg over ambient with this setup...

I am working on replacing the Evosport front-mount with a larger unit and having a heat dispersement coating put on (supposedly allows a 20% increase in heat dispersement vs no coating).. This should improve things even further.
Vrus:

i just installed the Evosport cooling kit (have a brand new Bosch I/C pump if anyone is interested) and now have a problem with it's fitment and my Brabus bumper. My question is it is currently silver. What heat coating are you referring to and is it black?
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Originally Posted by Apple '55
Vrus:

i just installed the Evosport cooling kit (have a brand new Bosch I/C pump if anyone is interested) and now have a problem with it's fitment and my Brabus bumper.
Thanks!
Does it appear as though this fitment issue is limited to the BRABUS bumper?? Does it look like you might be facing the same fitment issue with a stock front bumber?? I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on one of these cooling kits (I jave a stock front bumper) and want to make sure that my service tech doesn't encounter anything unexpected.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Vrus:

i just installed the Evosport cooling kit (have a brand new Bosch I/C pump if anyone is interested) and now have a problem with it's fitment and my Brabus bumper. My question is it is currently silver. What heat coating are you referring to and is it black?
Thanks!
What Price are you asking?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Apple 55:

Evosport cooling kit is designed for a stock bumper. You might need to have your Brabus one modified for proper fitment.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Would it not be better to replace the Behr heat exchanger with one custom larger unit? With two units you run into restrictions pumping through the connecting pipes etc or ... ??

The split circuit is a good idea, but you definately need to have a larger water volume for the IC. On a hot day in traffic its going to cook if you dont have sufficient volume.

Any clue what the water temp is coming out of radiator (cold side) going into the heat exchanger?

Also, while the circuit is linked does the IC pump not only flow water in and out of the heatexchanger or does it pump it back into the motor radiator?
1. There is very little room to go larger, unless you are willing to become friendly with Sawz-All and gut all front bumper supporting brackets. Even than you might gain extra 25% at the most.

2. Larger pump help to push water through both coolers.

3. We are seeing close to 85%-90% efficiency on this setup.

4. IC pump has nothing to do with engine cooling system.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Its a specialized heat dispersement coating.. It is a patented technology and is used alot in endurance racing vehicles.

It is BLACK and makes the heat exchanger disappear into the grill.. I am will be doing it to mine and will post some pics before I reinstall it.

Vrus:

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I figured the computer guys would get it..

Thanks!

Originally Posted by JodyE55Rocket
Hey Victor...Love the new sig....hehehehehelol! I guess you lost track of the HP, TQ and mods.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM

2004 E55
Victor or any knowledgable guru
I don't want to be ignorant here but...........wouldn't the stock cooler COMBINED with an extra cooler be more efficient at totally cooling the water as low as possible. My thought is based on ........almost cool temps come out of the stock cooler, than goes into aftermarket cooler for TOTAL cooldown!! Please explain to me how taking away cooling capacity makes for a more efficient cooling process???
That truly does not compute with me....Please help here.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM

E55
Originally Posted by Kens-E55
Victor or any knowledgable guru
I don't want to be ignorant here but...........wouldn't the stock cooler COMBINED with an extra cooler be more efficient at totally cooling the water as low as possible. My thought is based on ........almost cool temps come out of the stock cooler, than goes into aftermarket cooler for TOTAL cooldown!! Please explain to me how taking away cooling capacity makes for a more efficient cooling process???
That truly does not compute with me....Please help here.
Ken I'm no guru on this so its likely that someone else will give a better reply but I understand that its nearly impossible to fit a larger (or second) radiator as there's no room. Even the aftermarket slightly larger ones need mods to brackets and bumper mounts to go in...I know for instance that the SL55 has a larger IC radiator and have suggested we try that in the past, but I think it just doesn't fit.

Even placing one in front of the other (tandem) is too tight... so people go for the best ones that will fit, for the highest air flow over it they can get and for the best (and separated) flow they can get....

Has anyone tried a CO2 sprayer tied to a thermostat to just hit the radiator when needed (using temp to decided when to do this)??? Too elaborate maybe...

Phil
Old 02-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by vrus
Its a specialized heat dispersement coating.. It is a patented technology and is used alot in endurance racing vehicles.

It is BLACK and makes the heat exchanger disappear into the grill.. I am will be doing it to mine and will post some pics before I reinstall it.
I would like to do this as well, any name of what will be coated on the heat exchanger?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This puzzles me too somewhat .. I guess you will need to place thermo sensors throughout the tubing etc to exactly understand whats coming into the heat exchanger from the motor etc ...

Splitting the circuit has obvious benefits but I am wondering why MB did not do this from the start.... They would have needed a bigger heatexchanger for sure though.

Vadim did you run the Evosport IC kit without breaking the circuit to the engine radiator? And if so what were the results ... if they were worse does that mean the engine radiator temp output was higher than the circuit can manage on its own?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SS3E55
Ken I'm no guru on this so its likely that someone else will give a better reply but I understand that its nearly impossible to fit a larger (or second) radiator as there's no room. Even the aftermarket slightly larger ones need mods to brackets and bumper mounts to go in...I know for instance that the SL55 has a larger IC radiator and have suggested we try that in the past, but I think it just doesn't fit.

Even placing one in front of the other (tandem) is too tight... so people go for the best ones that will fit, for the highest air flow over it they can get and for the best (and separated) flow they can get...
Been done... See photos below.

Heat soak was cured after this setup was installed.

I hope this helps.

Just enough space here.

Twin pumps.

Block off here.

S Class 55 (220) just ad extra pump and isolate circuit
Attached Thumbnails IC Cooling Upgrade Question-cooler-297.jpg  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Finny the additional heat exchanger you fitted is that the one from the W220 - or is it a custom unit ?

BTW this is a well kept secret - think this mod is going to be copied by ... well.... EVERYBODY !!!!!!!

How is the fitting any chopping of the bumoper mountings etcetc ...

Hey vrus how about this as a mod for you to develop for us ... I think Finny is too far to do it form "down unda"...

Last edited by stevebez; 02-05-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stevebez
Hey Finny the additional heat exchanger you fitted is that the one from the W220 - or is it a custom unit ?

BTW this is a well kept secret - think this mod is going to be copied by ... well.... EVERYBODY !!!!!!!
No rocket science here... yeah it's a custom job... see the dimensions I posted.

No secret though see: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=141038&page=2

Copy away fellers...

Maybe Victor might have a turn key solution in the works?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Missed this thread completely while moving house in Dec ....
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Almost a Member!

how did u make ur own cooling system.. plzz send a new post with pic's.. thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 11:31 AM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55HID
how did u make ur own cooling system.. plzz send a new post with pic's.. thanks
What don't you understand?

Basically the photos say it all.

Which part do you want me to elaborate on? Electrical, Plumbing etc...
Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Finny - had a look at my rad setup today and was wondering what you did with the A/C radiator which mounts in front of the engine rad?

In your pic of both units together I cannot see the A/C rad...

There is actually quite a bit of space between the OEM rad fronts and the hood front section ...

EDIT: Sorry I am blind - I see it now ... what mounting points did you use for the additional rad and also the two vertical units have rubber hosing fitted now and riveted to the hood release frame - I assume all this was the only option for mounting? Could the metal pipes not be moulded?

Also the one picture of the closed off top section of the new rad what is this for - bleeding?

How did you mount the second pump? How did route the plumping the plumbing and also for the new rad?

What needs to come out of the car to fit this? Does the a/c unit need to be recharged after fitting? Can you fit the new rad without removing the a/c rad and the engine rad?

Also the dimensions look out 960mm width - cannot be? mmmm mbe 690mm ?

BTW already sent your pics off to a rad builder for some "idears" ... and thoughts!!!

Also trying to see if I can get a meziere pump integrated into the rads somehow instead of trying to find a mounting spot for the second pump.

Last edited by stevebez; 02-06-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 AM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up

What mounting points did you use for the additional rad and also the two vertical units have rubber hosing fitted now and riveted to the hood release frame - I assume all this was the only option for mounting? Could the metal pipes not be moulded?
This was a temporary set up for the power steering. See photos for mount points and new power steering cooler further below.

Also the one picture of the closed off top section of the new rad what is this for - bleeding?
Yes, very important.

How did you mount the second pump? How did route the plumping the plumbing and also for the new rad?
Made up an el-cheepo bracket with some rubber to help keep the noise down. See below the Hi techo schematic for the plumbing and wiring... ha

What needs to come out of the car to fit this? Does the a/c unit need to be recharged after fitting? Can you fit the new rad without removing the a/c rad and the engine rad?
A/C Recharge...Yes... You must remove the stock setup to fit the upgrade. Very simple though. There is quite a bit of effin around but well worth the result.

Also the dimensions look out 960mm width - cannot be? mmmm mbe 690mm ?
Your right, I must have dyslexia...

Also trying to see if I can get a meziere pump integrated into the rads somehow instead of trying to find a mounting spot for the second pump.
There's plenty of room just above the stock pump and behind the alloy bumper mount.

Anyway just buy Victors new set up and save yourself all the hassles. Link: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=141038&page=2

Good luck Steve!
Attached Thumbnails IC Cooling Upgrade Question-cool-mods-303.jpg   IC Cooling Upgrade Question-cool-mods-304.jpg   IC Cooling Upgrade Question-cool-mods-305.jpg   IC Cooling Upgrade Question-cool-mods-306.jpg   IC Cooling Upgrade Question-plumbing005.jpg  

Old 02-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks finny for the pic's.. can u plzz help me in some more things like i want to see the orginal digram of a stock cooling sys?. plus i wana know what water pump did u use and is the small heat exachnger suffcient for cooling the s/c?. what about the old heat exchanger which is down can we use is insted of the small one ur using?... thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IC Cooling Upgrade Question