2006 M5 impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
2006 M5 impressions

i just got home from test driving my friend's new M5 w/ 13k miles. he just got it as his daily driver, and he has a F360 F1 as his fun car.

my overall impression is that it drives well, much smaller and lighter than the exterior dimension would suggest. the engine revs nicely and it's fun watching the RPM go up to 8k, but even my 2001 E55 feels like it has more torque. the steering feels pretty nimble and the balance is also very nice. i'm still torn on the SMG/paddle shifters...kind of fun, but not sure it's superior to the MB tiptronics in terms of smoothness or everyday driving.

the i-drive i hear is fine once people figure it out, but for the casual or occasional driver just getting in and wanting to play the stereo or CD, it's a pain in the rear.

btw, since i haven't driven the newer W211 E55 yet, i can't compare the driving. however, i do think the bmw seems much colder on the inside and with lower quality plastics.

in conclusion, as much as i enjoyed driving his car and wouldn't mind owning it, for $68k vs. my $19k 2001 E55, i drove home with a big smile on my face because i know the M5 is not 3.5x the car and i feel very lucky to have my E55
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
the engine revs nicely and it's fun watching the RPM go up to 8k, but even my 2001 E55 feels like it has more torque.

Nice write up. Your E55 just doesnt feel like has more torque, it does at 391 lb/ft versus 383 lb/ft.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
Originally Posted by Vic55
Nice write up. Your E55 just doesnt feel like has more torque, it does at 391 lb/ft versus 383 lb/ft.

i was gonna say the same thing.... its also much lower in the rpm band
Old 01-31-2007, 06:02 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
i just got home from test driving my friend's new M5 w/ 13k miles. he just got it as his daily driver, and he has a F360 F1 as his fun car.

my overall impression is that it drives well, much smaller and lighter than the exterior dimension would suggest. the engine revs nicely and it's fun watching the RPM go up to 8k, but even my 2001 E55 feels like it has more torque. the steering feels pretty nimble and the balance is also very nice. i'm still torn on the SMG/paddle shifters...kind of fun, but not sure it's superior to the MB tiptronics in terms of smoothness or everyday driving.

the i-drive i hear is fine once people figure it out, but for the casual or occasional driver just getting in and wanting to play the stereo or CD, it's a pain in the rear.

btw, since i haven't driven the newer W211 E55 yet, i can't compare the driving. however, i do think the bmw seems much colder on the inside and with lower quality plastics.

in conclusion, as much as i enjoyed driving his car and wouldn't mind owning it, for $68k vs. my $19k 2001 E55, i drove home with a big smile on my face because i know the M5 is not 3.5x the car and i feel very lucky to have my E55
I do agree on this review, but what "plastics" are you referring to?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I love the M5 but...

A close friend of mine has just bought a silver/black M5. I haven't had chance to have a go yet as it's already in the shop. The check engine light is on and they're going to need it for a couple of days.

However, he absolutely loves both the driving experience and kudos that comes from driving such a great car. The V10 is a work of art and the looks have really grown on me. Anyways, I'll reignite this thread when I get behind the wheel sometime next week (which i'm very excited about).

BTW, Florida55- that's an unbelievable range of BMWs you have there.
Are you connected with BMW or just a fan of the marque?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 PM

2007 Porsche 997 TT
All comments thus far have been to some degree fair and accurate. The styling certainly is an acquired taste. I personally love the aggressive styling of the M5. It's made even better with a few exterior modifications (then again, what car isn't?). That being said, regular E60 5-series cars are absolutely heinous and would never even consider one as a beater. The differences are subtle, but most definitely there.

The interior build quality for the most part, is supurb, especially with the full (as opposed to 'extended') leather option (bzliteyear: don't know which your friend has, but the difference is significant). Certainly not as 'plush' as the MB's (my big gripe is the plastic airbag cover. Small detail, but staring you in the face everyday).

As far as the transmission/paddle shifters: no, it's most definitely not as smooth as a Tiptronic or traditional auto because of the simple fact that it's not meant to be either. It is a MANUAL transmission sans a clutch pedal. There is no torque converter. Unless you master the technique of throttle input, it will always feel rough compared to auto and Tiptronic trannys.

iDrive is not BMW's strong point. It is, however, very managable. If we could only get the Japanese to engineer the interface, we'd be golden.

Low end torque is another common gripe. Compared to an AMG, sure it doesn't provide the same stomach-into-spine sensation. But again, more than adequate. For those unhappy with it, Steve Dinan and his BMW elves in Morgan Hill have developed a 3.91 differential that provides 8% more torque throughout the rev band. I don't have it (and don't feel the need to get one), but I've heard it provides that extra umph that some feel it is lacking.

Carl, as for your friend....the dreaded fault code. And so early in his ownership. Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem in 7K miles and 6 months of ownership. Yes, the earlier builds (late '05/early '06) have been seemingly more prone to problems, but obviously all the kinks haven't been worked out. But then what premium marques hasn't had their share of bugs in the system (MB included )

Bottom line is no car is perfect for every individual. The E55 is a technological marvel, beautiful styling, unbelievable power. But I've been a loyal BMW enthusiast that prefers the latest offering of the M-division engineers. Thus far, I haven't been disappointed.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by bmwbonehead
All comments thus far have been to some degree fair and accurate. The styling certainly is an acquired taste. I personally love the aggressive styling of the M5. It's made even better with a few exterior modifications (then again, what car isn't?). That being said, regular E60 5-series cars are absolutely heinous and would never even consider one as a beater. The differences are subtle, but most definitely there.

The interior build quality for the most part, is supurb, especially with the full (as opposed to 'extended') leather option (bzliteyear: don't know which your friend has, but the difference is significant). Certainly not as 'plush' as the MB's (my big gripe is the plastic airbag cover. Small detail, but staring you in the face everyday).

As far as the transmission/paddle shifters: no, it's most definitely not as smooth as a Tiptronic or traditional auto because of the simple fact that it's not meant to be either. It is a MANUAL transmission sans a clutch pedal. There is no torque converter. Unless you master the technique of throttle input, it will always feel rough compared to auto and Tiptronic trannys.

iDrive is not BMW's strong point. It is, however, very managable. If we could only get the Japanese to engineer the interface, we'd be golden.

Low end torque is another common gripe. Compared to an AMG, sure it doesn't provide the same stomach-into-spine sensation. But again, more than adequate. For those unhappy with it, Steve Dinan and his BMW elves in Morgan Hill have developed a 3.91 differential that provides 8% more torque throughout the rev band. I don't have it (and don't feel the need to get one), but I've heard it provides that extra umph that some feel it is lacking.

Carl, as for your friend....the dreaded fault code. And so early in his ownership. Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem in 7K miles and 6 months of ownership. Yes, the earlier builds (late '05/early '06) have been seemingly more prone to problems, but obviously all the kinks haven't been worked out. But then what premium marques hasn't had their share of bugs in the system (MB included )

Bottom line is no car is perfect for every individual. The E55 is a technological marvel, beautiful styling, unbelievable power. But I've been a loyal BMW enthusiast that prefers the latest offering of the M-division engineers. Thus far, I haven't been disappointed.

+1

Bought my E60 in May, drive it almost every day (3800 miles a month so far) and its been superb. As for the plastics comment....where?? I'm assuming he didn't opt for the full leather, which was a mistake. I could sleep in my seats.