Sponsored by:

Issues with power steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues with power steering on new E63

Now I'm not saying I have any, however, when my wife was leaving this morning I was in the garage (making sure she backed out without hitting anything honestly) and I noticed that this car makes a lot of "whine" when turning the wheels as she maneuvered the car around. Anyone notice this and is it normal?

Last edited by e63z06cobra; 02-07-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Mine did that last year... It turned out there was a leak at one of the seals and it was putting tranny fluid onto the belts. Lift your hood and do a visual inspection to see if there is any fluid under there... I believe its red fluid but I am not positive.

Originally Posted by e63z06cobra
Now I'm not saying I have any, however, when my wife was leaving this morning I was in the garage (making sure she backed out without hitting anything honestly) and I noticed that this car makes a lot of "whine" when turning the wheels as she maneuvered the car around. Anyone notice this and is it normal?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by vrus
Mine did that last year... It turned out there was a leak at one of the seals and it was putting tranny fluid onto the belts. Lift your hood and do a visual inspection to see if there is any fluid under there... I believe its red fluid but I am not positive.
I will do a visual on the car. I hope that there isn't any leaks as it is brand new with less than 250 miles on the car
Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4Matic; Past: 2019 GLS 450; 2011 E550; 2007 E63; 2003 E500; 1999 E430
I had the same thing on my E500. Power steering fluid as low. I had the car at the MB dealer for some other service and mentioned it to them.

JOE
Old 02-07-2007, 12:31 PM

'08 CLS63
i had the same problem recently...it was bad when the motor was cold and went away when it warmed up...my power steering was low in fluid...go to the dealership and buy some power steering fluid and add a little bit...that's what i did and it went away...good luck!

john
Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Well......

I've done a visual and I don't see anything. I also noticed that the whine is constant and not dependent on steering movement. I almost kind of sounds like a supercharger type whine that is constant and increases with engine speed. Also, I notice a lot of valvetrain noise. Is this common with the E63?? Lastly, can anyone comment on their tranny. When it's in automatic (usually sport mode) I notice the shifts during regular non-aggressive driving are very pronounced. I mean it shifts hard and is very "jerky" and noticable. I'm not saying that I have a problem with this, I would just like to know if it's normal. Any help would be really great.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I've done a visual and I don't see anything. I also noticed that the whine is constant and not dependent on steering movement. I almost kind of sounds like a supercharger type whine that is constant and increases with engine speed. Also, I notice a lot of valvetrain noise. Is this common with the E63?? Lastly, can anyone comment on their tranny. When it's in automatic (usually sport mode) I notice the shifts during regular non-aggressive driving are very pronounced. I mean it shifts hard and is very "jerky" and noticable. I'm not saying that I have a problem with this, I would just like to know if it's normal. Any help would be really great.
The noises are "normal", but MB knows the E63 has more valvetrain noise. there is a DTB for it, but most of the noise really is normal.

The rough tranny....well, that is the 7g and is normal.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by jangy
The noises are "normal", but MB knows the E63 has more valvetrain noise. there is a DTB for it, but most of the noise really is normal.

The rough tranny....well, that is the 7g and is normal.
Thanks Jangy.....I appreciate you always stepping up to answer questions. You are a very reliable person on this board. I admit I have yet to drive it in the comfort mode to see if that makes the tranny "slip" more. I'm used to positive shifts as I have older muscle cars with shift kits in them so it doesn't bother me at all. I just wondered if it is normal being that it is a mercedes. I figured that they'd want to make it "luxury drivable" as well for those that just want the AMG status but not some of the performance "trade-offs" that come with a serious performance machine that us gearheads like One other question you'll likely know the answer to. I'd like to avoid major changes to the car in terms of performance. My z06 is good for an extra 35-45 horsepower with an ECU flash and other non-permenant mods. Is there that kind of extra power in the E63 that is "tuned out" by the computer? If so, who does tuning on these cars and what are they getting? Thanks in advance to anyone that knows.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Actually, the only performance mod out on the E63 is the ECU. It runs $3k (retail) and is by RennTech. I am working on getting a more customized version at a much better price. Like you say, the beauty is that the oem program is kept, so you can always go back to stock.

I have also seen headers for the E63, but I'm not sure if they are retail yet. I wouldn't plan on any huge TQ gains for now. I am worried about the drivetrain on those cars, so I suggest you wait and let others do the leg work.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by jangy
Actually, the only performance mod out on the E63 is the ECU. It runs $3k (retail) and is by RennTech. I am working on getting a more customized version at a much better price. Like you say, the beauty is that the oem program is kept, so you can always go back to stock.

I have also seen headers for the E63, but I'm not sure if they are retail yet. I wouldn't plan on any huge TQ gains for now. I am worried about the drivetrain on those cars, so I suggest you wait and let others do the leg work.
Who's doing your custom tune? Numbers on the RENNtech? I would like to know the numbers your tune gets.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Who's doing your custom tune? Numbers on the RENNtech? I would like to know the numbers your tune gets.
I will be doing most of the work this coming next few weeks. this week is just the pulley and maybe ECU. I have already done a pre-mod dyno. I will install the pulley and dyno, then do the ECU and dyno. That will let us know the exact gains at each step.