W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP Pulley Owners for E55- Satisfied or not?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by sgtstanko
My car went to Harmanmotive this morning for the ASP Pulley.....VRUS TB, center resonator removal and PTE160 thermostat. It had the K1 flash and pulley installed last year, however a few months ago I went into the stealership and they reflashed it ....something to do with a bulletin. The car never ran the same, and according to the Kleeman dealer required to be reflashed with the Kleeman tune. Well I never did take it back and decided to go in a new direction......so.....this morning with the Kleeman pulley and stock reflash it pulled 459.88hp and 529ftlbs. By tomorrow am I should have a new # with the ASP Pulley....then the other parts. Should be interesting.

Check out this E55 with headers, pulley and chip that pulled 475hp.....hhhhmmmm.... mine is not to far behind.

http://harmanmotive.com/Gallery/Video/e55/index.html
..........be careful. The reason your car dynoed so high post flash is probably because your car is running too lean after the Kleemann program was removed. Check your a/f ratios, especially if you plan on adding an even larger crank pulley.

Ted
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
[QUOTE=Ted Baldwin;2019846]..........be careful. The reason your car dynoed so high post flash is probably because your car is running too lean after the Kleemann program was removed. Check your a/f ratios, especially if you plan on adding an even larger crank pulley.

Ted[/QUOTE

Ted thanks for the feedback. We did in fact check the a/f during the 3 pulls. It seems to very rich. It seemed to be in the high 10's to low 11-1 from like 3k to redline and just got progressively fatter.

This morning we will dyno it again with all the changes and check a/f changes due to the mods. That will determine if we change the tune. I'll post the sheet and would appreciate feed back.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
[QUOTE=sgtstanko;2020531]
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........be careful. The reason your car dynoed so high post flash is probably because your car is running too lean after the Kleemann program was removed. Check your a/f ratios, especially if you plan on adding an even larger crank pulley.

Ted[/QUOTE

Ted thanks for the feedback. We did in fact check the a/f during the 3 pulls. It seems to very rich. It seemed to be in the high 10's to low 11-1 from like 3k to redline and just got progressively fatter.

This morning we will dyno it again with all the changes and check a/f changes due to the mods. That will determine if we change the tune. I'll post the sheet and would appreciate feed back.

Thanks!
...............If your car is putting out those kind of numbers and still rich, then you are in good shape.

Ted
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Is a smaller S/C pulley possible?

http://harmanmotive.com/Gallery/Video/e55/index.html[/QUOTE]

Watch that video..

at 2:41 you can see the S/C pulley. It looks smaller.. First one I have ever seen that looks like it has been changed.. I didn't think it could be done..
Hmm, I see a Vrus smaller upper pulley, along with ASP lower pulley =18psi..
It also says in the video description, "smaller s/c pulley".
Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
You have a good eye!!!

The car on that video is running a Carlsson Pulley upgrade kit. The dead giveaway is the snout on the S/C and the greenish coloured tensioner on the left..

Running anything more than ASP pulley is asking for trouble unless a serious intercooler upgrade is put on to help combat the extra heat the motor will generate.

I am in the process of dismantling my spare S/C and having a shop look over the electro-magnetic clutch assembly.. My CNC shop will be able to make a new pulley without a problem.. I just dont know if it will make matters worse or not..

Also.. whoever owns that car... .. that thing accelerates like mad!!! I cant beleive it only put down 475rwhp because that 4th gear pull looked like 3rd gear to me (unless the video was sped up)...

Watch that video..

at 2:41 you can see the S/C pulley. It looks smaller.. First one I have ever seen that looks like it has been changed.. I didn't think it could be done..
It also says in the video description, "smaller s/c pulley".[/QUOTE]
Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 PM

Lexus
do you know the Carlsson web address for the US??
Old 02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by vrus
You have a good eye!!!

The car on that video is running a Carlsson Pulley upgrade kit. The dead giveaway is the snout on the S/C and the greenish coloured tensioner on the left..

Running anything more than ASP pulley is asking for trouble unless a serious intercooler upgrade is put on to help combat the extra heat the motor will generate.

I am in the process of dismantling my spare S/C and having a shop look over the electro-magnetic clutch assembly.. My CNC shop will be able to make a new pulley without a problem.. I just dont know if it will make matters worse or not..

Also.. whoever owns that car... .. that thing accelerates like mad!!! I cant beleive it only put down 475rwhp because that 4th gear pull looked like 3rd gear to me (unless the video was sped up)...

Watch that video..

It also says in the video description, "smaller s/c pulley".
[/QUOTE]

............I spoke with Herman Motive today and the s/c pulley in the video is stock. It is not a smaller s/c pulley. They did use a larger crankshaft pulley like everyone else.

Ted
Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Nope.. It's not stock.. The pulley on the S/C is not a stock one. Go look at pics that I have posted and others have posted of our engine bays.. Then look at the snout of that car.. That S/C pulley is a CARLSSON pulley.. Notice the shield that surrounds the pulley with the holes around it... Stock pulley is solid with no holes and is black in colour. Maybe the owner of the car purchased it used and didnt realize it had the carlssson pulley on and they put a bigger crank pulley on also which would increase boost even further...

Then again, I could just be loosing my marbles here...

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

............I spoke with Herman Motive today and the s/c pulley in the video is stock. It is not a smaller s/c pulley. They did use a larger crankshaft pulley like everyone else.

Ted
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Nope.. It's not stock.. The pulley on the S/C is not a stock one. Go look at pics that I have posted and others have posted of our engine bays.. Then look at the snout of that car.. That S/C pulley is a CARLSSON pulley.. Notice the shield that surrounds the pulley with the holes around it... Stock pulley is solid with no holes and is black in colour. Maybe the owner of the car purchased it used and didnt realize it had the carlssson pulley on and they put a bigger crank pulley on also which would increase boost even further...

......well, I agree with you that it doesn't look stock in the video. I called them today to find out about it. We even talked about the video. They told me point blank that the pulley is not a smaller pulley. I don't know if they driled holes into it to lighten the weight or maybe they just lied to me. Here is their number 310-618-0284. Call them. I am very interested. If you get a different answer let us know.

Ted
Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 PM

CLS 55 AMG, 2002 Chevy Avalanche (w/ NOS) :D

so vic plannin on fabricating a smaller s/c pulley system? if so im in for a group buy..
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Lexus
Totally different pulley

That pulley in the video is totally different then my pulley.
I'll leave it up to a forensic's team to measure the digital picture and see if the 2 pulleys are the same size. I don't know how to save a screenshot of the other pulley in the video. That would be helpful.

My eyes say its smaller, based on the tensioner pulley, but the tensioner pulley is different on that car also?

Maybe the pulley in the video is the 03 style and my pulley is 06 style?

Last edited by ScottCLS55; 02-20-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by williws

I'll leave it up to a forensic's team to measure the digital picture and see if the 2 pulleys are the same size. I don't know how to save a screenshot of the other pulley in the video. That would be helpful.

My eyes say its smaller, based on the tensioner pulley, but the tensioner pulley is different on that car also?

...........So where do we get this pulley from? Is it manufactured with the s/c clutch still integrated? The guys that shot the video claim it is stock. I called them hoping they will point us to the right direction. I concede that they may not know that is not stock. If so, then where to get this pulley?

Ted
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by williws
[IMG]

I'd love to be proved wrong ... but I'm pretty certain that Carlsson simply supplies a cover over the stock SC pulley. I have no idea why. A way to check this is to eyeball the vertical space from the belt to the "rivets" on the spring-load mechanism. Even if Carlsson supplies a smaller pulley, it's not by much.

Pretty much everything else is changed, however, including the tensioner. Also, the neat tensioner stop bolt is supplied in their kits, from the video I don't know if that has been installed. Heck, the tensioner and the stop bolt probably help quite a bit.

They change the crankshaft pulley like the others ... they change a lot of stuff.

The 03 and 06 style clutches look the same, the contact facing on the clutch is noticeably different. Voice of experience on that one, my 03 clutch failed.