2 pumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
2 pumps

............Does anyone have two water pumps? Is there any advantage to having two pumps. I just got my car back and it has two pumps. The stock bosch pump and an additional johnson pump.

Ted
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Where was your car? Who put in the extra?
I have been wondering all of this lately. I see where the tuners are arguing that separation of the systems helps, but then I don't get why they run with a single pump?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
What do you mean by you just got it back?Did a shop install the extra johnson pump now?

Theres a member here that runs both pumps but he also has an extra heat exchanger added that he had specially made up.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Where was your car? Who put in the extra?
I have been wondering all of this lately. I see where the tuners are arguing that separation of the systems helps, but then I don't get why they run with a single pump?
Seperating the system is a must,but adding capacity to the ic system is also a must.One single pump should be able to do the job,just as long as its big enough.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Seperating the system is a must,but adding capacity to the ic system is also a must.One single pump should be able to do the job,just as long as its big enough.
I guess I just don't see how you separate the systems if you use a single pump? Understood that capacity needs to go up.
For me, I am getting the RennTech unit, so no need to reinvent the wheel. However, I have a feeling this will be my final Creative / RennTech endeavor, so I may need to work on other things later.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Ted do a search for Finny and his posts. He had a MB diagram of a factory setup using 2 pumps and a larger radiator sized heat exhchanger and the regular one we all have. Evidently the extra pump is needed to pump through the extra heat exchanger. The diagram is a MB diagram from a euro S55 if I remember. They also kept the 2 systems together.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Where the ic ties into the regular cooling lines you just block them off and reroute them.Evosport and I assume Renntech do it this way.Very simple thing to do and still run 1 pump.The Johnson pump is big enough to do the job from the looks of it and reading the outcome so far.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:29 AM

Lexus
MB diagrams

Hey Ted,

Here is the Mb pic, it only has one pump. Finny has put 2 pumps on his car. The bottom pic is the factory MB set up with the extra heat exchanger.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...8&d=1166287902
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Where the ic ties into the regular cooling lines you just block them off and reroute them.Evosport and I assume Renntech do it this way.Very simple thing to do and still run 1 pump.The Johnson pump is big enough to do the job from the looks of it and reading the outcome so far.
I am getting a RennTech unit in a bit, if you (EVOSport) want to check it out before install.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Jangy - I'd wait to see how VRUS' VRIC turns out - looks like it could be the ticket...
Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hi Steve. I will wait on the rest of VRP's stuff, but I've already paid (through the nose) for the Rennech gear and have had the car down for a month. That is the only reason I am willing to get it. Who knows, RennTech may offer all of my money back just to get rid of me and then I can start fresh?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Hi Steve. I will wait on the rest of VRP's stuff, but I've already paid (through the nose) for the Rennech gear and have had the car down for a month. That is the only reason I am willing to get it. Who knows, RennTech may offer all of my money back just to get rid of me and then I can start fresh?
What in the world is wrong with your car Jangy???

If it were not something really serious it would be back on the road by now! Come on tell us what in is going on with that thing!

Is the Key really damaged and do you need a new crank?

Are you still trying to get your money back from RENNtech?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
What in the world is wrong with your car Jangy???

If it were not something really serious it would be back on the road by now! Come on tell us what in is going on with that thing!

Is the Key really damaged and do you need a new crank?

Are you still trying to get your money back from RENNtech?
Hi eric:
The time issue has been mutual, so that is why i can't blame. My concern since the incident began was to make sure the motor was okay. I don't really car what failed or who's fault it was for now. To that end, i wanted MB to take a look at it and tell me what needs to happen, before I let Creative / RennTech "fix" it. Getting all of this coordinated is what took so long. Also, there were early concerns with regards to the ECU portion of the package that my crew was having, so I focussed on that. Now that I have separated myself from the ECU part, I am focussed stricktly on the car. The car has only recently been looked at (yesterday and today). Until now, it just sat. For now, it looks like the key is compromised, but that the crank is intact. It may be as simple as replacing the key and off we go. It may not. Legally speaking, I am documenting everything (which also takes time).

Now, as far as me and RennTech. No, I am not asking for my money back. I have committed to the pulley and IC unit (which includes the new pulley when released). However, being somewhat disappointed in the support that I have gotten in the month that the car has sat, I will not be begging either of them to take anymore of my money. Had this been a collaboration or had I been given a smoking deal, then I'd consider myself a party to the madness. Instead, I sit and sit.

What it has taught me is that there really are not any shops in San Diego that trully cater to the high end client. The concern for all the shops is getting in good with distributors and getting cars ready for shows. I believe there is a customer base that will appreciate a shop that caters to them and builds a relationship with MB, not tuners. That is where I come in. We are starting our own club, so to speak. It is a virtual shop, with most things sourced out. The sources are critical. Sending a client with a $100K car to a **** shop for certain things will reflect badly at some point. However, since the purpose of this is not to make money, we have focussed solely on very reputable experts in each area. I hope to establish these alliances and offer the enthusiast with the options that only those with connections (like you) have.
A perfect example is the SDS - Star modifications. MB is open to it. It doesn't void any warranties, etc. I will buy a genuine unit and have a trained tech doing the work. For now, the only way to get any of that done is to slip an SA some $$ or to know someone. Why not have it available to all?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Jangy, isn't the woodruff key an integral part of the crank ? If the key is damaged, then I believe a new crank is in order.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by awiner
Jangy, isn't the woodruff key an integral part of the crank ? If the key is damaged, then I believe a new crank is in order.
Actually, no it is not part of it. The point is actually mute anyways, since the crank is in order anyway. As I mentioned before, the pulley literally melted onto the crank. Cleaning the crank properly was not advisable, so we are replacing the crank. That isn't the best part. To do it properly, the engine will be removed as well!!

Sorry to steal the thread.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:25 AM

Lexus
Crank key

WOW!! THAT SUCKS! So they put the crank pulley on and messed up the key and then the crank pulley spun on the crank is that correct?? You have one hell of a relationship with your SA if MB is footing the bill under warranty
Old 02-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 E63
time for me to put the computer down and give my wife her weekly 2 pumps.

that does suck though... for your car and my wife...

Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by williws
WOW!! THAT SUCKS! So they put the crank pulley on and messed up the key and then the crank pulley spun on the crank is that correct?? You have one hell of a relationship with your SA if MB is footing the bill under warranty
That is overgeneralizing, but yes.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MOZ80s
time for me to put the computer down and give my wife her weekly 2 pumps.

that does suck though... for your car and my wife...

I'd rather be your wife right now.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
every1 check my thread out on new e class !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
That is overgeneralizing, but yes.
Yo bro! so sorry to here the finality of mod damages, I am sadly not far removed from tuner disapointments, alas not as bad as your current situation though. I can't believe you've got Mercedes to bend for this? Good luck you seem to be handling it like a man
Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Thericker
Yo bro! so sorry to here the finality of mod damages, I am sadly not far removed from tuner disapointments, alas not as bad as your current situation though. I can't believe you've got Mercedes to bend for this? Good luck you seem to be handling it like a man
Not much I can do until it is all said and done. I'm just pissed to have been caught in the middle, rather than treated like a customer. MB isn't bending. I never said it was free. That will al need to get worked out and that is why things have taken so long and been documented so well.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
............Does anyone have two water pumps? Is there any advantage to having two pumps. I just got my car back and it has two pumps. The stock bosch pump and an additional johnson pump.
How are they hooked up?

In series? In parallel?

Which one is feeding which?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
How are they hooked up?

In series? In parallel?

Which one is feeding which?

........They are in series, at least it looks like they are in series and the oem bosch pump is feeding a larger johnson pump.

............another question that I have is exactly where is the intercooler. I am told that you cannot see it because it is located underneath the s/c. If so when tuners replace it with a larger intercooler is still hidden underneath the s/c? Does that mean then that the front mounted intercooler is a way of taking the intercooler out of its hidden location underneath the s/c and placing it at a more visible and possibly more efficient location. Why would mercedes put the intercooler underneath the s/c where it easily gets hot?

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 02-24-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
If Bosch is feeding Johnson pump, than it makes no sense. Bosch pumps are known to fail, so if it fails the Johnson pump will not have any fluid to push, thus negating any benefits from going to larger pump.

Either using two pumps in parallel or one big one makes more sense.

The intercooler intself is under the kompressor. SLR uses two intercoolers that are mounted on the top of each head.

The heat exchanger is what is mounted in the front of the car and what evosport adds additional core to in order to increase it's capacity.

The IC pump circulates fluid between the intercooler and the heat exchanger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 pumps