Had my '03 e55 a week now!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 euro E55 AMG
Had my '03 e55 a week now!

Well the car got delivered at the beginning of the week, and what else can i say but AWESOME!

I've had some fast motors in my time but this scares me even more than my bike did with acceleration!

The fuel consumption is terrible! but then who buys a 5.5 litre car then complains about that!

The one thing that is really a letdown is the dreaded supercharger shut off...

Now i've read a lot about it on this site, and it seems my car is doing it far sooner than other people's cars are - 1 or 2 quick WOT runs, and it's off for a few minutes.... even from a steady 40mph, WOT, at about 130mph it cut itself off.......

I've let the dealer i got it from know, it's got full warranty, do you think they will be able to do anything to help the problem? or will i have to live with it....
Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 AM

nice to see a UK owner with an E55 given our atronomical fuel bills only the very brave would buy a car of such thirst !

but then again that does mean rather cheeky prices for these awesome cars
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by vinnie83
Well the car got delivered at the beginning of the week, and what else can i say but AWESOME!

I've had some fast motors in my time but this scares me even more than my bike did with acceleration!

The fuel consumption is terrible! but then who buys a 5.5 litre car then complains about that!

Now i've read a lot about it on this site, and it seems my car is doing it far sooner than other people's cars are - 1 or 2 quick WOT runs, and it's off for a few minutes.... even from a steady 40mph, WOT, at about 130mph it cut itself off.......

I've let the dealer i got it from know, it's got full warranty, do you think they will be able to do anything to help the problem? or will i have to live with it....
You need a new pump. The shut-off you describe is not normal.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 AM

are these expensive or hard to fit ?
is it the sort of thing MB would screw you on and you owuld be better off doing yourself ?

btw vinne83 what MPG do you get on motorway cruise i.e best ?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by --phill--
are these expensive or hard to fit ?
is it the sort of thing MB would screw you on and you owuld be better off doing yourself ?

btw vinne83 what MPG do you get on motorway cruise i.e best ?
I can't tell you the price, but I once heard someone say it is only "a couple of hundred bucks." If the car is still covered by a warranty, then there shouldn't be any charge for it.

Personally, I would never put a wrench to my E. So I have no idea how hard it is to change. Sorry.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 euro E55 AMG
yeah i didnt think it was normal to be this frequent....

It's covered by a 12 month full MB warranty because i got it from a dealer as an approved used merc....

Also, a slightly ticky engine - normal or not?

It's only done 47k miles.... My old m3 was ticky because of solid lifters, which was normal - im just going through the paranoia of every single little noise scaring me!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
the newer pumps will cure all your s/c shut off problems. i haven't had or heard of s/c shut off with the replacement pumps. in fact, i just made at least 8 back-to-back runs with a 600+hp twin turbo 911 and never once had any heat soak or s/c problems whereas before it would shut down just like yours (btw, that was the closest run i've had so far, i could only put a fender in front of him by 130). when a pump is intermittantly failing it won't always throw a malfunction code for the dealer to diagnose so you might need to TELL the dealer what to replace and why in this case.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2105 S63 Full Carbon - 2018 GTR
Also, a slightly ticky engine - normal or not?

It's only done 47k miles.... My old m3 was ticky because of solid lifters, which was normal - im just going through the paranoia of every single little noise scaring me!
Welcome to the club!! The ticking you are referring to is something that my car also had. It has to do with a pump system that pressurizes the fuel (cant recall the name). The pump itself has a defuser or a muffler and the dealer should be able to put a new muffler on to eliminate the noise. It was bugging the **** out of me as it sounded like the car needed a valve adjustment! as long as you have a tech who is knowledgeable, this issue is an easy fix.
Good luck
Old 02-25-2007, 01:05 PM

E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
the newer pumps will cure all your s/c shut off problems. i haven't had or heard of s/c shut off with the replacement pumps. in fact, i just made at least 8 back-to-back runs with a 600+hp twin turbo 911 and never once had any heat soak or s/c problems whereas before it would shut down just like yours (btw, that was the closest run i've had so far, i could only put a fender in front of him by 130). when a pump is intermittantly failing it won't always throw a malfunction code for the dealer to diagnose so you might need to TELL the dealer what to replace and why in this case.
Agreed. The replacement pumps appear to work quite well so far even though some say that it is just a better QC of the same old unit. I do have a Johnson pump sitting around just in case.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM

E55 AMG

Vinnie,

I had the same problem as you last summer......just go to your dealer, as soon as they hook up the diagnostic it should display a fault code....and tell the tech that the IAT's are too high. They will change the pump before they do anything else.

Once you have the new pump it will be happy days!!!.......and while your car is at the dealership get them to do the -10c mod aswell.

If you get stuck pm me and I will get the info from the tech that did mine.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 euro E55 AMG
thanks, it's booked in for the 13th March, so hopefully will all be sorted under warranty there - the dealer hasnt dealt with any e55's there, so may take me explaining a few things to him so any info would be useful...

I'm in the UK so will anything be different here to in the US?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 PM

'07 S550 Sil/Gry with 2012 S65 Facelight

congrats! i've actually had mine for about a week now too!