W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm glad the battery is covered under warranty...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I'm glad the battery is covered under warranty...

Evidently, I had an open campaign that caused my battery to no longer function properly. Problem is that it happened on the road 80 miles from my home while I was playing golf. All systems went down (ESP/ABS/A/C/COMAND/Etc...) gradually, then the engine went into limp mode and I was left with only front brakes (no power)...all in the span of about 5 minutes. I limped into the parking lot of an AUTO ZONE, asked for a replacement battery, and proceeded to change the battery (I gave them the core).

After the round, I still had error messages and 10 minutes later all systems started to shut down again. I had to flatbed the car back to Tampa and leave it in the service receiving area. The next day, the SA called and told me if I had the old battery because they could not move my car into the service bay without replacing the battery (replacement battery was not charging and jumping the car was not working) and they could not cover a MB battery under warranty without the old one.

PS. They stated "that our cars are finicky about non-standard parts like batteries." Some flim flam about the MB battery is a "gel cell" blah blah blah...

My options were to authorize to buy a new MB battery or drive back to Autozone and get the old battery. I chose the latter...they wanted $315 for a new battery,labor, and resetting codes. Lesson learned...keep the battery if it dies on you.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Evidently, I had an open campaign that caused my battery to no longer function properly. Problem is that it happened on the road 80 miles from my home while I was playing golf. All systems went down (ESP/ABS/A/C/COMAND/Etc...) gradually, then the engine went into limp mode and I was left with only front brakes (no power)...all in the span of about 5 minutes. I limped into the parking lot of an AUTO ZONE, asked for a replacement battery, and proceeded to change the battery (I gave them the core).

After the round, I still had error messages and 10 minutes later all systems started to shut down again. I had to flatbed the car back to Tampa and leave it in the service receiving area. The next day, the SA called and told me if I had the old battery because they could not move my car into the service bay without replacing the battery (replacement battery was not charging and jumping the car was not working) and they could not cover a MB battery under warranty without the old one.

PS. They stated "that our cars are finicky about non-standard parts like batteries." Some flim flam about the MB battery is a "gel cell" blah blah blah...

My options were to authorize to buy a new MB battery or drive back to Autozone and get the old battery. I chose the latter...they wanted $315 for a new battery,labor, and resetting codes. Lesson learned...keep the battery if it dies on you.
I guess you did not keep the original Autozone battery either so you could return it to the local Autozone for credit.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by AMGfan

The same thing happened to me two weeks ago: full power loss and the perverbial coast home program. I called roadside and the local dealer came out and swapped the battery for free. The engine smelled of something burning and I found out my alternator was fried after I took it to the dealer. It ended being a good thing cause I got my other little issues handled via warranty.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by health services
I guess you did not keep the original Autozone battery either so you could return it to the local Autozone for credit.
Actually, It's in my trunk...I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vic55
The same thing happened to me two weeks ago: full power loss and the perverbial coast home program. I called roadside and the local dealer came out and swapped the battery for free. The engine smelled of something burning and I found out my alternator was fried after I took it to the dealer. It ended being a good thing cause I got my other little issues handled via warranty.
+1...my summary sheet was three (3) pages so several campaigns were done at the same time. I tried roadside and they said they would flatbed it to a local MB dealership (in Orlando), but I live in Tampa so I was S.O.L. if not for AAA Plus membership (100 miles coverage for towing).