Modded E55s: Less reliable than stock??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997C2S
Modded E55s: Less reliable than stock??

Hi guys,

I will be buying a used E55k soon and hopefully from a fellow forum member. However, I have a couple of concerns.

1. Does drag racing the E55 put a lot of extra stress on the car's drivetrain or is it no different than flooring it on the street?

2. Are there any reliability issues with higher hp and trq modded car? A friend of mine mentioned previously that he thought there were reliability problems with supercharged 55 motor in higher power applications.

3. Is there a general HP threshold to stay under to keep the engine reliable?

4. Are MB dealers generally friendly in honoring warranty repairs even on modded cars?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Tony
Old 03-25-2007, 07:24 PM

2017 Charger Hellcat
Originally Posted by TonyJ89117
Hi guys,

I will be buying a used E55k soon and hopefully from a fellow forum member. However, I have a couple of concerns.

1. Does drag racing the E55 put a lot of extra stress on the car's drivetrain or is it no different than flooring it on the street?

2. Are there any reliability issues with higher hp and trq modded car? A friend of mine mentioned previously that he thought there were reliability problems with supercharged 55 motor in higher power applications.

4. Are MB dealers generally friendly in honoring warranty repairs even on modded cars?

Tony
1-Drag racing in street trim (tires etc.) is not much different then flooring it on the street.
2-Reliability is always going to be an issue with any car you mod, but the E55 responds well to mods and it handles the exta tq and hp very well. 3- There's a lot of E's running around with 500+ hp with no issues to date, the threshold seems to be in the 500's? 4-That depends on your MB SA, that is a hit or miss situation.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Our dealer here in Las Vegas is very cool with modded cars, especially mine. I know the managers, sa's and techs very well (friends of mine). I would be happy to introduce you.

Our engines have forged internals and our trannys can handle something like 750 tq (correct me if I'm wrong here guys).
Old 03-25-2007, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
i wouldnt buy a car that has been drag raced on a normal basis. there is alot of stress put on the car when dragin it especialy with drag tires. if it was just a couple of times to the strip i would say no biggie. is the car still gonna have warranty?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 PM

07 S65
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
there is alot of stress put on the car when dragin it especialy with drag tires.
What would that stress be? We can't preload our cars so it's not like your leaving at 3500rpms. You're only in the gas for 12secs on a normal 1/4mile run. That's less than most guys stay in it on the street. At a drag strip you aren't hurting the brakes, suspension, rear any of that stuff. I don't see where you think you are hurting the car by drag racing it. Most guys beat their cars up more and do more harm to them during everyday driving. If we were talking about a road course, I would agree but not the 1/4mi.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by DJE55
What would that stress be? We can't preload our cars so it's not like your leaving at 3500rpms. You're only in the gas for 12secs on a normal 1/4mile run. That's less than most guys stay in it on the street. At a drag strip you aren't hurting the brakes, suspension, rear any of that stuff. I don't see where you think you are hurting the car by drag racing it. Most guys beat their cars up more and do more harm to them during everyday driving. If we were talking about a road course, I would agree but not the 1/4mi.
When the car dead hooks, on sticky tires, well prepped track (they cover the 1/4 tracks w/adhesion promoting surface, try walking w/your tennis shoes on a well prepped track, it'll pull them off your feet literally) what happens when this all comes together is ---weakening/breaking driveshafts, axles/diffs tranny loads w/all this great traction can also cause anything/everything to bust in the drive-line or transmission, engine should be fine if properly maintained

Steer clear of heavy track 1/4 history...On Borrowed Time waiting for anything above to go, and any SA might be kool, but usally if not knowing you and a major part like tranns goes your on your own...Be careful

Here's the main post fromth link below, speaks volumes...
Originally Posted by Finny
After installing Victors TB kit and a set of Hoosier slicks I managed to take out my first Nissan GTR 4WD off the line in a street run. This guy always killed me on take off but I always got him in the legs. Now it's even off the line. Great fun...

On the GTR's revenge drag, we are all at the lights... green...bang... clunk..tick...tick..tick.... the Diff yanked out the mounting bolts of the 55's body... It just locked up and sat there with it's backside sticking up... The air springs raised up the bum 10" plus. See photos below... ****e... to much torque to the diff with slicks on! I swear the front wheels almost lift off the ground.. Ha

So back at the work shop... cut a long story short... about $3000 Ausie bux damage DIY... Damaged left air spring, Tail shaft flex disc, blind bolts & nuts ripped out, Bent exhaust etc...

I'm not quite sure, but I believe the blind bolt & nut setup are designed to sheer off on heavy impact for safety reasons. My speculation only. I suppose this is fine for stock power specifications, but after what we do... forgedaboutit !!!

After checking the WIS CD from MB, it mentions to check the nut with a flexible bore scope for fatigue and cracking around the top area. I had a look in there and noticed micro cracks all around the top section of the nut mounting hole. To late for me...

I've done over a 100,000 K's so far and this problem may be a time bomb for any one who pushes the car hard. I'm very lucky that the Diff popped out at the lights. Imagine this happening at 100+ or whatever...

I "strongly suggest" that any one who owns a W211 to have these spots checked for micro fatigue and or cracking. Any competent Tech with the right tools could do it in 30 minutes. It could save your ***!

It's quite easy do it yourself: (1) Remove wheel (2) Remove inner plastic guard (3) Remove rust protection grommet. Look in here!

I repaired the damage myself with 110mm high tensile bolts & lock nuts with sprung stainless steel washers. This will never come off now but may have affected the safety characteristics.

It would be interesting to see how MB would handle this potentially lethal problem.
These oem bolts ripped/twisted right out of the diff from to much torque/hooking sticky tires at 1/4 track..

Last edited by Thericker; 03-26-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
see above post!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
maybe look at this thread.............a direct result of mods and drag racing.......thankfully uncommon problem............https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/171553-ooo-potentially-lethal-diff-carriage-mounting-problem-ooo.html
Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 AM

997C2S
What do you guys think is a safe power level the e55's drivetrain can safely handle without jeopardizing long term reliability?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:52 AM

CLS55 06 (K4, LSD), Range Rover Sport 06, Bentley Flying Spur 07
No one will tell you that for sure, what I can tell you though is that the more HP you got, the less your car will be problemless.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 AM

07 S65
[quote=Thericker;2100537]When the car dead hooks, on sticky tires, well prepped track (they cover the 1/4 tracks w/adhesion promoting surface, try walking w/your tennis shoes on a well prepped track, it'll pull them off your feet literally) what happens when this all comes together is ---weakening/breaking driveshafts, axles/diffs tranny loads w/all this great traction can also cause anything/everything to bust in the drive-line or transmission, engine should be fine if properly maintained

Here's the main post fromth link below, speaks volumes.../quote]

Ricker, we're not talking about a Vette. Guys break these parts all the time in the Vette because the can launch the car at what ever RPM the want. You can't do that in an E55. Look at your link, you guys are all talking about 1 car, the same car. You will alway have someone that breaks, it's a car. It happens no matter who builds it or modifies it. I'm sure Finny isn't running the times that Alberts running with NOS and he tracks his car quite a bit. We've now seen a few heavily moddified E's running in the 10's with no failures?

FWIW, my original point wasn't to say for everyone to drag their car and all is fine. It was that guys beat on their cars everyday and do more harm to them on the street than most of these guys do at that track.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Ricker, we're not talking about a Vette. Guys break these parts all the time in the Vette because the can launch the car at what ever RPM the want. You can't do that in an E55. Look at your link, you guys are all talking about 1 car, the same car. You will alway have someone that breaks, it's a car. It happens no matter who builds it or modifies it. I'm sure Finny isn't running the times that Alberts running with NOS and he tracks his car quite a bit. We've now seen a few heavily moddified E's running in the 10's with no failures?

FWIW, my original point wasn't to say for everyone to drag their car and all is fine. It was that guys beat on their cars everyday and do more harm to them on the street than most of these guys do at that track.
+1
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'm in the camp with the ones that say it does stress it. The key for me is was it raced in drag race trim, or straight street trim? If it has been modded for power, it means it has more potential to apply. If it has been modded for traction (i.e. DR tires, wider tires, etc.), then it is probably making a more direct link between the motor and the road, which does distribute that force accross everything in between. Snapping diffs is not just something that happens on load launches. I've been there and done that many times.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
OP, I'd suggest you go visit DJE55 (I assume you're buying from him ), take a look at the car and if it looks good and drives good, buy it... have a 2nd opinion from an MB tech is not a bad idea. If all comes out good, I don't see why not.... the car w/ 1/4 like that seems very healthy.

Plus I hear more engine break-downs than transmission and/or suspension and/or differential break-downs.

On the other hand, I've seen overly babied car gives more problems than regularly driven car.

So take a look in person and follow your heart....
Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Hi guys,

Tony
Tony,

Typically, mods on a car aren't taken very well by dealerships. In my case with my car (K1), the ECU tune is seemless to MB's ECU tune so the dealerships dont see it. And as for the pulley, its an OEM pulley that has been modified a bit by kleeman. My SA doesn't even know it exsists unless its pointed out. Again, each SA and dealerships are different.

Last edited by x-tian-230k; 03-26-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 PM

07 S65
Originally Posted by jangy
The key for me is was it raced in drag race trim, or straight street trim? If it has been modded for power, it means it has more potential to apply. If it has been modded for traction (i.e. DR tires, wider tires, etc.), then it is probably making a more direct link between the motor and the road, which does distribute that force accross everything in between. Snapping diffs is not just something that happens on load launches. I've been there and done that many times.
Jangster, what diffs have you snapped launcing from an idle? Was it your E55? If so, that sucks! This really isn't my point or argument but I'm curious were some guys comes up with this opinion for the E55. I'm curious why some guys think that DR are hurting the car when we really have nothing that proves this. Look at most of the 60' times out there form the fastest cars running DR or slicks(Albert, DerekFSU). You have guys in street trim that have turned mid 1.6 60' or low 1.7 60's. Most of the guys running DR's haven't done better than that. I'm asking, how does it hurt the car anymore when it's turning the same time or at most .05 better 60' than guys on regular street tires? That's the only place (60') where you would see more stress on the rear. I just don't see the argument when you don't see that much of an improvement with DR's vs regular street tires? Am I missing something? Like I said before, this wasn't my point earlier. I was saying more guys hurt their cars in other ways on the street than the guys that take their car to the track.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:15 PM

07 S65
Originally Posted by zoink
OP, I'd suggest you go visit DJE55 (I assume you're buying from him ), take a look at the car and if it looks good and drives good, buy it... have a 2nd opinion from an MB tech is not a bad idea. If all comes out good, I don't see why not.... the car w/ 1/4 like that seems very healthy.
Don't think he's talking about my car. I've only tracked my car 3 times at MB track rentals and I haven't run DR's.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Don't think he's talking about my car. I've only tracked my car 3 times at MB track rentals and I haven't run DR's.

Jangster, what diffs have you snapped launcing from an idle? Was it your E55? If so, that sucks! This really isn't my point or argument but I'm curious were some guys comes up with this opinion for the E55. I'm curious why some guys think that DR are hurting the car when we really have nothing that proves this. Look at most of the 60' times out there form the fastest cars running DR or slicks(Albert, DerekFSU). You have guys in street trim that have turned mid 1.6 60' or low 1.7 60's. Most of the guys running DR's haven't done better than that. I'm asking, how does it hurt the car anymore when it's turning the same time or at most .05 better 60' than guys on regular street tires? That's the only place (60') where you would see more stress on the rear. I just don't see the argument when you don't see that much of an improvement with DR's vs regular street tires? Am I missing something? Like I said before, this wasn't my point earlier. I was saying more guys hurt their cars in other ways on the street than the guys that take their car to the track.

Man you are extremely SHORT SIGHTED, I'm not only talking about the Vette, NOTICE! Link may be to one E55k, but you are seriously under informed on stress/breakage levels that are imposed on tracking ALL makes of cars, you make me scratch my head, just because you haven't seen a falure in yours or close to home? you negate it? WRONG buddy very wrong Even Mercs aren't immune to track abuse

The driveline is a weak link on all cars, your Merc family 4 door wasn't made to be 1/4 tracked, nor my Vette, driveline pieces will-do break on ALL of them, even prof built 1/4 cars, break, ever wonder why they make Carbon Fiber drive shafts it's a known critical link, as is all running gear ie tranny, diffs etc..believe what you want, I have been to the track as a spectator many times in my youth, grandparents were big fans, and seen every make & model break something down the line.

Read the last sentence at the bottom of this link...I'm just trying to help the guy your advice is poor/wrong
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=drag%20strip

Last edited by Thericker; 03-26-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:04 PM

07 S65
Originally Posted by Thericker
Man you are extremely SHORT SIGHTED, I'm not only talking about the Vette, NOTICE! Link may be to one E55k, but you are seriously under informed on stress/breakage levels that are imposed on tracking ALL makes of cars, you make me scratch my head, just because you haven't seen a falure in yours or close to home? you negate it? WRONG buddy very wrong Even Mercs aren't immune to track abuse

The driveline is a weak link on all cars, your Merc family 4 door wasn't made to be 1/4 tracked, nor my Vette, driveline pieces will-do break on ALL of them, even prof built 1/4 cars, break, ever wonder why they make Carbon Fiber drive shafts it's a known critical link, as is all running gear ie tranny, diffs etc..believe what you want, I have been to the track as a spectator many times in my youth, grandparents were big fans, and seen every make & model break something down the line.

Read the last sentence at the bottom of this link...I'm just trying to help the guy your advice is poor/wrong
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=drag%20strip
Your missing it Ricky! I'm not saying I"m right and you're wrong. My car hasn't been tracked that much, I don't run DR's and I'm not referring too it. READ!!! You don't own an E55, you own a Vette, wonder why I said Vette? That's your reference point, not the E55. Yes, all cars break if you abuse them and i don't think Mercs are immune to this. My point is, it's hard to abuse this car at the drag strip. Guys are talking about street trim vs drag radials and such. LOOK at the times, not a lot of difference(.05) between guys running street tires vs guys running DR's. Wow, is that 5 hundreths the extra stress? Some guys have better times on street tires than guys with DR's? How are the DR's causing extra stress.

My dad drag raced professionally. I've been to the track and now all about track cars breaking. I've broken my fair share of parts on my street cars, all were manuals. IMHO, in THIS CAR you can do just as much harm on the street as you can at the 1/4 track. You are just automatically lumping this car in with all the other cars you see at the track. Most are manuals and do not have the limitations that this car has. You can't launch this car with any rpm's out of the hole. Most all of the stress and breakage you see cars have at the track is off the line. If you look at the numbers, most of the guys running DR's are not that much quicker in the 60' (off the line) than guys that know how to drive with street tires. A lot, (I'll say that again) A LOT of guys on this site have dragged their cars and we haven't seen many failures at all because of it. That's my observation.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Your missing it Ricky! I'm not saying I"m right and you're wrong. My car hasn't been tracked that much, I don't run DR's and I'm not referring too it. READ!!! You don't own an E55, you own a Vette, wonder why I said Vette? That's your reference point, not the E55. Yes, all cars break if you abuse them and i don't think Mercs are immune to this. My point is, it's hard to abuse this car at the drag strip. Guys are talking about street trim vs drag radials and such. LOOK at the times, not a lot of difference(.05) between guys running street tires vs guys running DR's. Wow, is that 5 hundreths the extra stress? Some guys have better times on street tires than guys with DR's? How are the DR's causing extra stress.

My dad drag raced professionally. I've been to the track and now all about track cars breaking. I've broken my fair share of parts on my street cars, all were manuals. IMHO, in THIS CAR you can do just as much harm on the street as you can at the 1/4 track. You are just automatically lumping this car in with all the other cars you see at the track. Most are manuals and do not have the limitations that this car has. You can't launch this car with any rpm's out of the hole. Most all of the stress and breakage you see cars have at the track is off the line. If you look at the numbers, most of the guys running DR's are not that much quicker in the 60' (off the line) than guys that know how to drive with street tires. A lot, (I'll say that again) A LOT of guys on this site have dragged their cars and we haven't seen many failures at all because of it. That's my observation.
I hear ya! but you're wrong bro....those sticky tires, track compounds add up to a bad/deffinitely pre-fatigued driveline/tranny .05 does make a difference in stress levels on car, also in final ET that's why they use drag tires--they hook way better... Look at the SL65 modded guys, some have had their trannys go kaput! I know they have higher torque but still in the realm of our comparison, the main thread starter ASKED "would modded e55k w/1/4 track history be troublesome?" Ahhem....yes they will

For someone w/your background why are you arguing this blatant/obvious point? remember tennis shoe comparison? You're going to sit there & tell me there's no extra stress on 1/4 track compared to street?

Give it a rest bro, just trying to help this guy make an informed used car purchase, not compare/say who has more experience etc..
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 PM

07 S65
Originally Posted by Thericker
I hear ya! but you're wrong bro....those sticky tires, track compounds add up to a bad/deffinitely pre-fatigued driveline/tranny .05 does make a difference in stress levels on car, also in final ET that's why they use drag tires--they hook way better... Look at the SL65 modded guys, some have had their trannys go kaput! I know they have higher torque but still in the realm of our comparison, the main thread starter ASKED "would modded e55k w/1/4 track history be troublesome?" Ahhem....yes they will

For someone w/your background why are you arguing this blatant/obvious point? remember tennis shoe comparison? You're going to sit there & tell me there's no extra stress on 1/4 track compared to street?

Give it a rest bro, just trying to help this guy make an informed used car purchase, not compare/say who has more experience etc..
So guys wheel hopping off the line on street tires is better? Guys running around on the street making high speed runs back to back to back throwing cars in and out of turns, hard braking etc... That's better? People that don't keep their fluids changed is less harmfull than a guys that tracked his car? All my point is, their are a lot more guys in street trim doing more harm than guys running DR's. To make a general statement based on nothing but what you've seen from other cars (not the E's) is foolish. That would be like those other guys calling all Vette guys CheeseDicks? You are generalizing and that's WRONG!

You have dumb a$$es everywhere that don't know to take care of a car. This car is not a Vette, Mustang or a modded SL65 with 150 more ftlbs of torque. You can't compare them. I used .05 as a best case, in some cases guys with street tires have better 60' times. What is your answer there???? The general statement that DR are still more harmfull? Again, that's foolish and WRONG and it's not helping the guy out! I'm giving it a rest.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi guys,

Tony

Having owned to used AMG.. with low miles at the time of purchase.

It really does not matter.. AMG's are not reliable stock or modded.

Modding can create more head aches but it will bring you more joy.

Don't buy any AMG without extended warranty.

If you are looking for a good reliable car with monster power.... you won't find one.

Unless Lexus plans to make a 450hp GS500 (similar to the IS500), all moster sedans will have issues.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
So guys wheel hopping off the line on street tires is better? Guys running around on the street making high speed runs back to back to back throwing cars in and out of turns, hard braking etc... That's better? People that don't keep their fluids changed is less harmfull than a guys that tracked his car? All my point is, their are a lot more guys in street trim doing more harm than guys running DR's. To make a general statement based on nothing but what you've seen from other cars (not the E's) is foolish. That would be like those other guys calling all Vette guys CheeseDicks? You are generalizing and that's WRONG!

You have dumb a$$es everywhere that don't know to take care of a car. This car is not a Vette, Mustang or a modded SL65 with 150 more ftlbs of torque. You can't compare them. I used .05 as a best case, in some cases guys with street tires have better 60' times. What is your answer there???? The general statement that DR are still more harmfull? Again, that's foolish and WRONG and it's not helping the guy out! I'm giving it a rest.
Good give it a REST because you've gone so far off topic you've ruined this poor guys thread and made a joke of yourself, adding/comparing how people possibly drive abuse cars on the street? or maintain them? sheesh you're ridiculous

Top Of Thread "I will be buying a used E55k soon, will drag racing put a lot of extra stress on E55k drivetrain?"

You've plum lost it w/your attempts to justify your original wrong assumptions, w/more laughable ramblings, BTW how do you know what I've seen at the track or not? Just because I haven't tracked my Vette , I've always been a fan.

I'm out you win guy...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
in some cases guys with street tires have better 60' times. What is your answer there???? T.
I gotta retort to this....Answer is called ~SKILL, DRAG EXPERIENCE~

Did you have too much caffeine today or something?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Jangster, what diffs have you snapped launcing from an idle? Was it your E55? If so, that sucks!
DJE55: I'm not arguing, either. My experiences were NOT with the E55. They have been with Jeeps, and M3s. In both cases, the motors were either replaced or super modified without adequate supportive for the drivetrain.

My thoughts on the E55 are that the drivetrain is pretty rugged. BUT, there is little doubt that boosting power and traction WILL mean that the drivetrain must absorb that added applied power. that doesn't mean it will fail, it is simply a thought. In my case, what i have noticed with that combination is more flex in the rear when i apply the power. That flex can't be good on all the bushings, etc. I've also seen the rear toe links fail on an E55, and it wasn't pretty. maybe it was coincidence, but that car was running DRs and a K2. Go figure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modded E55s: Less reliable than stock??