Sponsored by:

Mini Cooper hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mazda
Question Mini Cooper hood scoop?

What do you guys think about me custom installing a Mini cooper hood scoop (carbon fiber) on my E55. Does anyone think it will help the cooling of the car somewhat? I was thinking about centering it exactly were the Flat Mercedes Emblem goes, flush mounting it of course.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
Tempted to tell you that it would be a great idea so that i could see what it looked like, but I just can't let myself say that.

Don't do it. It would be very bad looking and likely do nothing to help the car other than make it look cheap.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by NOEZWA0UT55
What do you guys think about me custom installing a Mini cooper hood scoop (carbon fiber) on my E55. Does anyone think it will help the cooling of the car somewhat? I was thinking about centering it exactly were the Flat Mercedes Emblem goes, flush mounting it of course.
Yes it may look a bit riceroni, but my buddy has a mini, and I think it looks damn cool, sinister! On the mini it looks a tad over sized, but the E could take it symmetrically speaking, here's what you could try?

Just dry mount it, no perm holes, just get one and set it on the hood and see how it looks? ohh yeah take some pic's I think it would look more sinister than rice..
Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Make sure you position it where the airflow is. That would be right at the front edge or as far back as the windshield. You can tape a bunch of loose pieces of safety tape all over the hood and see what I'm talking about. I had initially considered cutting out two holes for air intake and have now reconsidered based on the feedback of two people.

If looks isn't all you are after, consider this. i am taking the area inside the grill and sealing it a bit to force all the air throught the grill or intake tubes. I'm hoping to learn from the Suzuki RAM systems. It doesn't change the looks, but may help with airflow where you want it.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 AM

mazda
I understand what your tryin to achieve but i dont think that your necessarily going to improve more air flow into the snorkel tubes by eliminating the grill.
I think the tubes get air flow just fine and the grill vent is needed to cool off the car some and i also think that the mini hood scoop right over the mercedes badge will help cool it off as well. But im mainly doing it to look sinister!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by NOEZWA0UT55
I understand what your tryin to achieve but i dont think that your necessarily going to improve more air flow into the snorkel tubes by eliminating the grill.
I think the tubes get air flow just fine and the grill vent is needed to cool off the car some and i also think that the mini hood scoop right over the mercedes badge will help cool it off as well. But im mainly doing it to look sinister!
Atta boy my original thoughts exactly! you'll prolly scare everyone off from ever trying to race again? except the normal ricer trash, just wanting to watch you flex
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 AM

1973 Yugo
I think if you make it a bit bigger it would look great, because i think the mini scoop is way too small for the E55