Sponsored by:

Leather Care?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S
Leather Care?

Hi guys, just wondering what you use for conditioning your leather? Do you use the MB product line or other sources? Thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by red60R
Hi guys, just wondering what you use for conditioning your leather? Do you use the MB product line or other sources? Thanks

Leatherique....
Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
I have never liked any products for cleaning/conditioning leather. The leather is never the same after one of these products is applied. I will admit that I have only used a few, actually I have only used one product, but have friends who have used others, so my knowledge is limited to a few products. I think what I bought was made by meguiars, but I am not 100% sure, its been about 6 years. Someone on here may know a good one to use, but I choose to stay away.

If you are talking about "major" reconditioning when doing nothing is not an option then my post does not apply, I have never needed to do any "major" reconditioning. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
I have never liked any products for cleaning/conditioning leather. The leather is never the same after one of these products is applied. I will admit that I have only used a few, actually I have only used one product, but have friends who have used others, so my knowledge is limited to a few products. I think what I bought was made by meguiars, but I am not 100% sure, its been about 6 years. Someone on here may know a good one to use, but I choose to stay away.

If you are talking about "major" reconditioning when doing nothing is not an option then my post does not apply, I have never needed to do any "major" reconditioning. Good luck.
Leather no matter how much you think that it does not need conditioning, always nees conditioning. I have tried may products and find that Leatherique is the best out there.
The seats in the 55's and 63's is somewhat fragile and some type of conditioning is highly recommended.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
15 S550 Daily 96 Dodge Viper GTS
Cool

Try the Sonus line of leather care products. Good Stuff. Leaves a matte finish not shiney or glossy at all.

Last edited by Bluemax; 04-05-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Leather no matter how much you think that it does not need conditioning, always nees conditioning. I have tried may products and find that Leatherique is the best out there.
The seats in the 55's and 63's is somewhat fragile and some type of conditioning is highly recommended.
I guess it depends how you treat it. I have an 04 and can tell no difference in the leather when comparing to brand new mercedes, mine has never been conditioned. I realize that leather is probably slowly "drying up" every day but I have had no need to condition as of yet. Saying that leather always needs conditioning seems to be an overstatement to me. Not saying that leatherique isnt good though, because I have never used it.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 PM

Cool

You should condition your leather atleast twice a year. On lighter colors every three months.

There are two factors that cause MOST premature wear to leather. Dirt and Oil from your skin. Particulary if you use sunscreen or lotion. I personaly would not let my leather go untreated for more than six months. Once you can see the damage it's almost to late.

Robert
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Leatherique before rigor mortis sets in. Good info on the Detailing forum too.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 PM

E63
Originally Posted by Bluemax
You should condition your leather atleast twice a year. On lighter colors every three months.

There are two factors that cause MOST premature wear to leather. Dirt and Oil from your skin. Particulary if you use sunscreen or lotion. I personaly would not let my leather go untreated for more than six months. Once you can see the damage it's almost to late.

Robert
I've had several old Mercedes and the leather was always in good shape. I'm fairly certain it was not conditioned, because usually only car enthusiasts are that discriminating.

One of the problems with asking questions on this forum is that the responses are skewed toward obsession and practical wisdom (which includes reasonable results) is often abandoned in the service of overkill.

I am not directing this toward this post or even this thread, but generally you have to sift through some pretty extreme positions to get to the practical.

How many people in this forum are going to keep their cars long enough to see the deterioration of the leather?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Cool

Cosmic Benz,

Take a look in the detail section of this forum. There are a few e55 owners that only have 13-20k miles on there ride and the drivers seat is showing alot of wear. I don't want my seats looking like that. But i do agree some people do go overboard on the detail stuff.

Robert
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Cosmic is right...most of the guys in the 211 forum are probably fanatics. I'm not one of the fanatics....but feeding leather can't hurt...I have to run out now and armor-all my weather stripping. Take care now
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
The manual for my '05 doesn't call for conditioning the leather at all