New to the E55 world

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 Audi S4,'04 E55 AMG,'05 Audi A4
New to the E55 world

Hello guys - Just picked up a 2004 E55 AMG with 24k miles on it, and had hoped to get a couple of questions answered.

I am experiencing a couple of oddity's with the car, such as what seems to be the supercharger disengaging while on the highway after a few high rpm runs. It seems as though the car becomes just an NA V8. I can only describe it to being similar to limp mode as I have experienced in my Audi S4. It generally only lasts for about 30 seconds, then the supercharger seems fine again. I have no check engine light or malfunctions, but as I know with my Audi, it tends to throw codes sometimes without ever triggering the CE.

Is this normal behavior? It doesn't happen often, like I said only after a few hard runs of it. (It is cool out, so I dont think its a heat type of thing)

The second is the auto dimming mirror(s). They seem to be dim all the time, and the passenger mirror doesn't seem to dim at all. I am assuming this could be a loose wire or something behind the mirror?

And the last - I tried to disable those "mood" lights from the center console, I set the level down to "0" and only the front set shut off, but the middle set still seems to be on - Is there another setting somewhere that I am not seeing this for?

Sorry for the problematic post ;-) Aside from these quirks, the car has been great for the 200 miles I have had it for.

I ended up getting this car for $52900 (down from $57k), it is in excellent condition inside and out, brand new tires. It is not fully loaded, but it has the lighting package, hk l7, nav, sirius, rear sunshade.

I must resist modding this, I don't need another S4(It has an MTM stg4 kit on it, and tends to be finicky (think high maintenance woman ;-))

Thanks!

Last edited by zapco98; 04-17-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
IC pump needs replaced,not sure on the others problems or stuff.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 Audi S4,'04 E55 AMG,'05 Audi A4
Originally Posted by Jrocket
IC pump needs replaced,not sure on the others problems or stuff.
I am assuming this is something that would be covered under the factory/CPO warranty right? Is this a common problem?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
welcome!!!

as mentioned the s/c shut down is due to a faulty intercooler pump. it's a warranty item your dealer should be very familiar with since many had a bad pump. simple 1 day job.

auto dimming mirror will have to be checked by your dealer under warranty.

the rear mood light will NOT shut off all the way. nothing wrong with that feature...well, except the engineering.

good luck resisting the mod bug. these cars are sooo easy to mod and get noticeable gains while still maintaining reliability and drivability.

Last edited by chiromikey; 04-18-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 AM

I believe the outside auto dimming mirror only dims on the drivers side, not the passenger side. I don't think you have any problems with the mirrors that is just the way Mercedes built the mirrors for the USA.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by zapco98
Hello guys - Just picked up a 2004 E55 AMG with 24k miles on it, and had hoped to get a couple of questions answered.

I am experiencing a couple of oddity's with the car, such as what seems to be the supercharger disengaging while on the highway after a few high rpm runs. It seems as though the car becomes just an NA V8. I can only describe it to being similar to limp mode as I have experienced in my Audi S4. It generally only lasts for about 30 seconds, then the supercharger seems fine again. I have no check engine light or malfunctions, but as I know with my Audi, it tends to throw codes sometimes without ever triggering the CE.

Is this normal behavior? It doesn't happen often, like I said only after a few hard runs of it. (It is cool out, so I dont think its a heat type of thing)

The second is the auto dimming mirror(s). They seem to be dim all the time, and the passenger mirror doesn't seem to dim at all. I am assuming this could be a loose wire or something behind the mirror?

And the last - I tried to disable those "mood" lights from the center console, I set the level down to "0" and only the front set shut off, but the middle set still seems to be on - Is there another setting somewhere that I am not seeing this for?

Sorry for the problematic post ;-) Aside from these quirks, the car has been great for the 200 miles I have had it for.

I ended up getting this car for $52900 (down from $57k), it is in excellent condition inside and out, brand new tires. It is not fully loaded, but it has the lighting package, hk l7, nav, sirius, rear sunshade.

I must resist modding this, I don't need another S4(It has an MTM stg4 kit on it, and tends to be finicky (think high maintenance woman ;-))

Thanks!

WElcome and congrats on the new ride...let see some pictures...
As some of the members have stated, the s/c is shutting down due to a faulty IC pump. The dealership will replace that under warrenty.. iTs a common problem with the E55.

As for the other issues, when you take it to the dealership, have them look into it. Good luck and have fun! Its a TRUE beast!