*** Speedshift Anyone ?? ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
*** Speedshift Anyone ?? ***

I've been able to secure the means to accommodate Speedshift programming + EGS remapping.

The highlights are as follows:

- We've only tested and confirmed that this works on 2004 - 2006 E55 & CLS55 ONLY.. I havent tested S, SL so I dont know if it is compatible.

- EGS remapping to handle 1000nm of torque (all torque limiters removed)

- Speedshift programming enabled with M1/M2 power modes and button selection switches on the gearshift console. I believe its a 2ms improvement in shifting but dont quote me (I'll confirm).

I am awaiting installation pictures of the buttons because this was done in Europe.

In order to accommodate everyone and minimize the cross-border charges since all of you guys are in the good ole USA and I am in Canuck land, I've arranged with Adam@EuroElites to handle all the collection and distribution of the EGS modules. This saves me alot of duties & taxes and in turn saves you guys..

Right now, the price I can offer is $1995 USD + shipping. You will have to ship the EGS module to Adam@EuroElites.

There are 2 options for doing this:

1) You can pay a core of $900USD (yes.. these damn EGS modules are bloody expensive).. This means you can keep driving your car until the new EGS is programmed and shipped to you. The core will be refunded once we receive your stock EGS.

2) You can pull out your EGS module and ship it and then wait the 7 - 10 days to get it back. I have to send these out to Germany to get them done.

I am not sure how many of you are interested in this, but I thought I would throw it out there since I have it available anyways. If there is interest, I may be able to get this reduced.. I have to talk to my German buddy and see what he says.

I, of course am looking for a way to get the 2003 cars done since my car is an 03 also.. LOL.. Once I solve that problem, I can offer it to other 03 cars.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by vrus
I've been able to secure the means to accommodate Speedshift programming + EGS remapping.

- We've only tested and confirmed that this works on 2004 - 2006 E55 & CLS55 ONLY.. I havent tested S, SL so I dont know if it is compatible.

- Speedshift programming enabled with M1/M2 power modes and button selection switches on the gearshift console. I believe its a 2ms improvement in shifting but dont quote me (I'll confirm).

I am awaiting installation pictures of the buttons because this was done in Europe.

In order to accommodate everyone and minimize the cross-border charges since all of you guys are in the good ole USA and I am in Canuck land, I've arranged with Adam@EuroElites to handle all the collection and distribution of the EGS modules. This saves me alot of duties & taxes and in turn saves you guys..

Right now, the price I can offer is $1995 USD + shipping. You will have to ship the EGS module to Adam@EuroElites.

1) You can pay a core of $900USD (yes.. these damn EGS modules are bloody expensive).. This means you can keep driving your car until the new EGS is programmed and shipped to you. The core will be refunded once we receive your stock EGS.

2) You can pull out your EGS module and ship it and then wait the 7 - 10 days to get it back. I have to send these out to Germany to get them done.

I am not sure how many of you are interested in this, but I thought I would throw it out there since I have it available anyways. If there is interest, I may be able to get this reduced.. I have to talk to my German buddy and see what he says.

I, of course am looking for a way to get the 2003 cars done since my car is an 03 also.. LOL.. Once I solve that problem, I can offer it to other 03 cars.

...................I think the interest will be high. My car is not 04-06 E55 or CLS 55, but it is an 05 AMG V8K with the same tranamission. I will be happy to be the guinea pig too see if this works in other AMG V8K cars. If it doesn't work, it will be my problem. Very interested in this as my car has exceeded the torque limit of the EGS program. Infact I was on the phone yesterday discussing this with Renntech. Let me know how to proceed.

Ted
Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I AM VERY INTERESTED... ADAM or VRUS let me know how I can get this... PM me... Also, how soon can I get this in my car... It is almost summer..
Old 05-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Victor,

I'm definitely interested in this modification. Do you have anymore specific details? Is it just a module/software?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
+1

Is the EGS the box under the passengers carpet V?

May wanna make a quick set of instructions on how to yank her out.

Go Victor!!! This is great!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
When I get home tonight I'll prepare a short questionnaire that I will need you to fill out.. Make, model, year, VIN#, etc. I'll post it up here and you guys can email me the responses...

The challenge is the hardware that we are using and the compatibility with the different CANBUS systems in these cars.

Before you spend the money, let me do some more research for you.

LOL.. If it works, you can tell Renntech to come and buy it from me.. LOL..

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...................I think the interest will be high. My car is not 04-06 E55 or CLS 55, but it is an 05 AMG V8K with the same tranamission. I will be happy to be the guinea pig too see if this works in other AMG V8K cars. If it doesn't work, it will be my problem. Very interested in this as my car has exceeded the torque limit of the EGS program. Infact I was on the phone yesterday discussing this with Renntech. Let me know how to proceed.

Ted
It's available right now.. See post above.. Once questionnaire is ready, fill it out and we'll take it from there. I'll hopefully have the pics tonight and be able to post.

Originally Posted by SleeperX
I AM VERY INTERESTED... ADAM or VRUS let me know how I can get this... PM me... Also, how soon can I get this in my car... It is almost summer..
Hey Dave.. Its in effect a software update. The EGS module is a small box located under the passenger side kickpanel.. It has software in it which controls the transmission functions. The software that is running inside this component is modified to allow the Speedshift programming and also to remove the load limiters..

MB has put into place software "load limits" into the transmission controller which makes sure that the car never goes over "X" amount of torque. I believe that number is 800nm from the factory. That value is increased to 1000nm to make sure the car puts all the power it has to the ground.

Now.. Keep in mind that the transmission itself IS NOT reinforced at this point.. This just takes care of the software side.. If you wanted to improve the strength of the transmission, that is another thing that has to be done (which is something else I am doing)... It involves extra & stronger clutch packs, revised valve body, and some other tweaks.

NOTE: The torque limiters that are in the car are there to protect the transmission. By increasing them and not reinforcing the transmission you are removing the failsafe..

What this means is that if you modify your car so that it produces MORE than 800nm of torque, and you have this mod done, you can burn up the tranny clutches if you dont reinforce it.

The reason for removing these failsafes is because if you are going to do this step and modify the programming, you are essentially working towards a tranny reinforcement in the future, so you might as well not pay twice and just get the remapping done while the EGS is being modified.

Originally Posted by Rock
Victor,

I'm definitely interested in this modification. Do you have anymore specific details? Is it just a module/software?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Very nice Victor!!!!!

You are hitting all of the weak spots on 55s!

Find out id it works on all other AMGs.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
hey vic i have 600tq to the rear wheels and i dont think ill get to even 700. so what will this do for me?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i'll be waiting to hear about the '03's!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
+1

Is the EGS the box under the passengers carpet V?

May wanna make a quick set of instructions on how to yank her out.

Go Victor!!! This is great!!!!

Jim, yes, the EGS is underneath the kick panel of the right front passenger side.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Thanks for the explanation Victor. So what your telling us is that if your going to install the module/speed shift program, it would be prudent to also modify the clutch packs, revise the valve body, and complete some other tweaks..........this is especially important if your E55 already has power modifications.

So the next question would be, "Why would you have a EGS module installed without a beefed-up tranny? It sounds like you should not do one without the other, unless your looking for trouble.

What kind of cost in parts and labor should I expect to get the tranny up to speed?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 PM

2017 Charger Hellcat
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i'll be waiting to hear about the '03's!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 PM

2006 E55
Thumbs up Torque Management Reduction?

Originally Posted by vrus

VRUS,
If I understand you correctly you are removing or lessening the torque management of the TCM....Transmission Control Module. The SRT8 has the same tranny as the E55.......I recently tested on a dyno and street verified with starscan that the stock software during shifts will command the throttle to close 50% and timing will go from 27 degrees to 4.......once the shift occurs throttle position reopens to about 90% (you never get 100) and timing climbs back up. All this happens rapidly and you hardly notice.

However, once torque management is reduced or eliminated the difference is extremely dramatic and we are seeing a 2/10 reduction just in the 1/8 mile!

The SRT8's have had this out now for about 6 months and i would venture the shift point are far firmer than what you are proposing.....this is a great mod. The only reason for the torque management to get 100,000miles + out of the powertrain.

Last edited by sgtstanko; 05-08-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by sgtstanko
VRUS,
If I understand you correctly you are removing or lessening the torque management of the TCM....Transmission Control Module. The SRT8 has the same tranny as the E55.......I recently tested on a dyno and street verified with starscan that the stock software during shifts will command the throttle to close 50% and timing will go from 27 degrees to 4.......once the shift occurs throttle position reopens to about 90% (you never get 100) and timing climbs back up. All this happens rapidly and you hardly notice.

However, once torque management is reduced or eliminated the difference is extremely dramatic and we are seeing a 2/10 reduction just in the 1/8 mile!

The SRT8's have had this out now for about 6 months and i would venture the shift point are far firmer than what you are proposing.....this is a great mod. The only reason for the torque management to get 100,000miles + out of the powertrain.
wow 2/10s in 1/8th mile, that is crazy! how long do you figure the stock set up would last with this mod?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
wow 2/10s in 1/8th mile, that is crazy! how long do you figure the stock set up would last with this mod?
The tranny is real lazy with the torque management. Like i stated it closes the throttle and backs off the timing. Pretty much all manufacturers are programming some T/M to ease the shock on the drive train. I dont know how much longevity it would take out of the drive train. It really isnt that severe in my opinion.

One of the Jeeps that I have been involved with was running an consistent 8.4 and with the T/M removed he now runs a consistent 8.2-8.3 with just the t/m backed off!!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
The tranny is real lazy with the torque management. Like i stated it closes the throttle and backs off the timing. Pretty much all manufacturers are programming some T/M to ease the shock on the drive train. I dont know how much longevity it would take out of the drive train. It really isnt that severe in my opinion.

One of the Jeeps that I have been involved with was running an consistent 8.4 and with the T/M removed he now runs a consistent 8.2-8.3 with just the t/m backed off!!
I have a Jeep SRT8 and am interested in this... where do you get this done for the SRT8 cars?

Victor: You know I'm in for the E55... when we were checking out all the error codes on my car, I had logged so many "implausible power" errors, it was funny.

Loren
Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
So this is the Speedshift Plus thats available ex factory via the Performance Studio ?

Seems like they also throw in the ally paddles ... nice option to have from the get go if anyone is speccing up a new beast.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/assets/p...st_english.pdf
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
What inpact on warranty? Or to phrase the question more precisely, is this mod detectable by factory service techs? Is it likely to get undone and returned to stock if the dealer decides to apply an update or reset that subsystem? Is there any visible change (you mention button selection switches on the gearshift module) that would raise a red flag to a dealer?

Though I'm sure that if Adam is involved he'll use his relationships with a dealer to look the other way, I'm still interested in general warranty repercussions.

Thanks in advance,

Skeeter
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
VRUS,

...........if the SRT8's have had this out already and the their tranny is same as ours, does it mean they can do it for AMG V8K cars?

Ted
Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Hey Victor,

Do you know if this removes the Torque Management when depressing the brake and gas at the same time?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Well.. that's a loaded question. It really depends on how far you want to go with the car. Just to be perfectly clear, when the EGS is preprogrammed, there are several choices the programmer can make in terms of options to turn on/off or modify.

#1) The torque management code can be changed to improve shifting and response. This is what all the tuners do for you when you ask for the EGS to be reprogrammed.

#2) The torque limit set from the factory CAN be increased to 1000nm for cars that are beyond the 800nm limit.

#3) The speedshift code can be enabled and 2 programs activated for M1/M2

Going into the transmission to do the upgrades to the actual hardware is prudent if you want your car to be able to go into the 700hp realm (ie. you want to add heads & cams).

The reason I suggested doing all 3 at the same time is so that you dont spend the money twice in ripping out the EGS and remapping again later on in the car's life. Raising the torque limit on a car that is already not near the lower limit will not provide any extra risk, so you might as well do it and have growth for the future.

Now.. I can tell you from personal experience and also Finny can probably chime in... A car that is already in the 600+ hp area should have a tranny cooler installed at a minimum. I myself have experienced tranny slippage on the dyno when my car pulled the 490rwhp... This is what started me off to get the tranny cooler built.

If you intend on putting heads & cams on your car, you will DEFINITELY need to do a tranny upgrade.. Eventually with all the extra power & torque you will burn up the clutches. The cost of the tranny reinforcement is in the $3,000 - $4,000 range.

Originally Posted by Rock
Thanks for the explanation Victor. So what your telling us is that if your going to install the module/speed shift program, it would be prudent to also modify the clutch packs, revise the valve body, and complete some other tweaks..........this is especially important if your E55 already has power modifications.

So the next question would be, "Why would you have a EGS module installed without a beefed-up tranny? It sounds like you should not do one without the other, unless your looking for trouble.

What kind of cost in parts and labor should I expect to get the tranny up to speed?
You get all the benefits except for taking advantage of the upper torque limit of 1000nm.

The main advantage to this programming is: Torque limiters that are put in place for shifting will be removed... Think of this as powershifting when you are driving a manual car.. (never lifting the throttle during shifts)... On our cars, the ECU will retard timing and close the throttle during shift and then within milliseconds ramp it back up.. This programming makes this more aggressive.

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
hey vic i have 600tq to the rear wheels and i dont think ill get to even 700. so what will this do for me?
Yup.. You've got it.

The only downside is with faster shifts comes more aggressive engagement.. In other words, you can kiss those nice smooth shifts good bye. (unless you drive in C mode) You will feel the car change gears once this mod is done.

VRUS,

It's the same except no paddles ..

Originally Posted by stevebez
So this is the Speedshift Plus thats available ex factory via the Performance Studio ?

Seems like they also throw in the ally paddles ... nice option to have from the get go if anyone is speccing up a new beast.
Unless there is a specific Service Campaign to modify the EGS unit, it will be undetectable.

Originally Posted by Skeeter
What inpact on warranty? Or to phrase the question more precisely, is this mod detectable by factory service techs? Is it likely to get undone and returned to stock if the dealer decides to apply an update or reset that subsystem? Is there any visible change (you mention button selection switches on the gearshift module) that would raise a red flag to a dealer?

Though I'm sure that if Adam is involved he'll use his relationships with a dealer to look the other way, I'm still interested in general warranty repercussions.

Thanks in advance,

Skeeter
Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Guys.. Last night I got tied up and didnt have time to go through this.. Here is what I need:

Any of you that are interested, please send me an email with the following info filled in:

- MBWorld Screen name:
- Name:
- Vehicle Year:
- Vehicle Make:
- Vehicle Model:
- Vehicle VIN#:

I will forward all of these to Germany and confirm 100% if it will or will not work for you..

TED: I've got your request in already.. I'll see what I can do for you.. I assume this is for your G55 ?

------------------------------------------

I am not sure, so I won't answer right now. I will forward this along and get the proper answer for you.

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Hey Victor,

Do you know if this removes the Torque Management when depressing the brake and gas at the same time?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Same transmission, but the EGS modules are coded differently. They use a different bus than our cars.

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........if the SRT8's have had this out already and the their tranny is same as ours, does it mean they can do it for AMG V8K cars?

Ted

Last edited by vrus; 05-09-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Vic...you mentioned the console button with M1/M2...would we be capable of dialing the soft shift back in with the button other than running in C mode ? Firm shift and no throttle intervention would be great if it can be called up when needed...but it sounds like its all or nothing ?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I wont be 100% sure about the actual real-life usage until I try it for my self. I am just passing along in words what was described to me.

JakPro1 had part of this procedure done on his EGS so maybe he can chime in and explain how the car changed after the reprogramming. (everything except Speedshift).

Originally Posted by vader
Vic...you mentioned the console button with M1/M2...would we be capable of dialing the soft shift back in with the button other than running in C mode ? Firm shift and no throttle intervention would be great if it can be called up when needed...but it sounds like its all or nothing ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** Speedshift Anyone ?? ***