Sponsored by:

Cracked my Kleeman Headers!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ to list......
That sucks, but I wouldn't really count on it and run it the way it is for the rest of your ownership of the car. While it's a great temporary fix for now, but it will eventually crack open again. The best solution for you is to get a pair of brand new headers, put them on, and forget about them down the road. Just my 0.02.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
MIG - when you get them fixed, have two small flex pipes welded in line. The problem is there is too much movement in engine suspension and it puts a load on the welds.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I feel pretty safe with them no worries, but I do feel a bit bad that they didn't replace the one at least, not very nice by kleeman at all. It shows a lot about a company when they truly stand behind their product, but just think of it as something Immaterial, there are bigger fishes I have to catch right now.lol!!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:04 PM

SL65 AMG
Jody sorry about that, I had no issues with them. But like I told you today I craked my borla headers on the h2 and it sounds like crap. we just welded it and did what vadim said and added some support parts as well. these are the borlas with the million mile warranty and i am yet to hear back from them. i am sure since i fixed them they will say to bad. my headers cracked at the base of the collector where they hook up to the exhaust. all the way around which was pretty bad.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 AM

We are always ready, willing and able to stand behind our products (as a few have posted here). KLEEMANN's warranty is quite straight forward: It is for one year & unlimited mileage on parts. This warranty is applicable to the original buyer of the parts, must be substantiated with proof of purchase in the claimants name. Further, if the parts were modified, installed incorrectly or otherwise abused the warranty is void.We require only a few pieces of documentation in order to file a warranty claim:

1. Proof of purchase from an authorized installing dealer in the claimants name.

2. Detailed pictures of the faulty part, or the part itself.

Once we can see with our own eyes that the part has not been modified, beat on, smashed, crushed by speed bumps, run without oil, etc etc we will repair or replace XYZ part. If these conditions cannot both be met, there is no claim.

This forum serves many fantastic purposes to the MB enthusiast community- what I dont think it was intended to be was a format for purchasers of 2nd hand/used parts to air their complaints about the manufacturer of those parts. It seems as if a fairly major component of this story was left out-
Old 05-25-2007, 11:04 AM

As a general information for all:

When KLEEMANN headers are installed correctly the down pipes are triangulated into the transmission bell housing with the OE bracket system. This isolates the twisting and flexing of the exhaust system and prevents any torsional forces from being transmitted to the header flange, collector pipe and manifold flange. There is a small amount of compliance in the double trans bracket to allow for thermal expansion of the exhaust system- adding flex pipe should not be required.

We have seen numerous cars with our headers installed by 2nd and 3rd parties that neglect to use the OE bracket. The material thickness of the header was never intended to take torsional forces of 12 linear feet of exhaust system, and will quickly fatigue a weld joint to the point of failure.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by whatsupwiththat
As a general information for all:

When KLEEMANN headers are installed correctly the down pipes are triangulated into the transmission bell housing with the OE bracket system. This isolates the twisting and flexing of the exhaust system and prevents any torsional forces from being transmitted to the header flange, collector pipe and manifold flange. There is a small amount of compliance in the double trans bracket to allow for thermal expansion of the exhaust system- adding flex pipe should not be required.

We have seen numerous cars with our headers installed by 2nd and 3rd parties that neglect to use the OE bracket. The material thickness of the header was never intended to take torsional forces of 12 linear feet of exhaust system, and will quickly fatigue a weld joint to the point of failure.

That's good to know. I think there will be a few people under their cars today checking the mounting points
Old 05-25-2007, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
We have seen numerous cars with our headers installed by 2nd and 3rd parties that neglect to use the OE bracket.
Thank God I had mine done at Mecca.

Klee in Co Springs.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Mr whatsupwiththat-you are correct in saying that I am the secondary owner...this was never a thread first of all for secondary owners to come here and run their mouth b ut since you brought up that point I will do you the favor of running my mouth then. Headers were nearly used for 10 months or so...so you are only telling me by saying that you pay 4K in change and will only be able to use them for less than 1 year....let me put my hands up so you could take my money...be right back. I really don't care about replacing them I only made this thread to voice my mouth here if you have a problem with that then so does a million other people get in line...and I guess what happened to Rock and a few other people in here speaking about kleeman was also due to second ownership huh!!!...sir quit while you are ahead and just admit that the headers are weak right by the collectors. By the way the headers were installed by a group of certified tech with more tunning experience than many of us here. I rest my case and dont misinterpret this thread by saying 2nd owners are running their mouth...I paid good money from the first owner and I am entitled to voice my opinion.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
damm right you can and should voice your opinion. you didnt bash them you just stated facts and asked a few questions. thats what these fourms are for **** kleemann!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
After re-reading the original poster's first couple of posts, I have to state that he was very courteous and informative.

Kleeman could have been so, but chose not to.

Odd position for a vendor to take.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Mig,

I'm not sure if you realize that, whatsupwiththat is Brandon from Kleemann USA (Colorado Springs). I do not think he was attacking you personally but just confirming the Kleemann does stand behind their products.

Kleemann is clear about what is covered and what is not covered under warranty. If a person does not like the fine print, then they should look for another tuner before they modify their car. Like I have said before, if you are going to modify your car or purchase a modified car you have to accept the risk that goes along with altering an already complicated vehicle.

Kleemann has a long history of satisfied customers and Cory and Brandon are great people to deal with.

I do wish that Brandon would comment further on the reason for header failure. Why does Kleemann think that stainless steel is the best material to use for a header? If a stainless steel header is properly installed why would it fracture?

Last edited by Rock; 05-26-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Rock...it could be the president...you can't tell me I can't voice my opinion. I do not want to start a war and this will not get me anything I simply stated the facts. Kleeman will not loose or gain a customer by me stating this, in my first post I just put up the post to just show what actually happened to me. I was not looking to replace them but if they did, Would have been great. I rest my case as stated I will not make them richer or poorer, I am just one disatisfied user, simple as that. What simply put me against the wall was when stated that this is a thread for 2nd owners buyers to voice out opinions on used parts. Not a good comment, this forum is what has inspired me and taught me the do's and don't's of these fine machines.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Agreed.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:27 PM

some nice cars ;)
I am with MIG on this one. I mean he just stated his experience with no apparent bashing..
I am so far, a satisfied Kleemann customer here in Dubai, BUT, if a customer has a problem, he should be dealt with, with utmost respect.

-K
Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Thank you guys for the great support, it is always good when you feel backed up by a community of online friends. I like kleemann and will continue to use them, I think personally they are a great tuning company and I am sure I have stated this all over the forum. After going back and forth with Brandon he will try to help after I snap a few pics of the headers where they cracked and send them to him, only there he will be able to make a decision. That to me is a good start..I will keep you guys posted.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Mig,
I just got back in town and I can't believe what I am reading. You are 100% correct and did nothing wrong. Why Kleemann would choose to come at you like that makes no sense to me, but if you want the number to my guys at Renntech let me know.....
Old 05-28-2007, 01:29 AM

CLS63 Silver/charcoal, RRS S/C stornoway grey/ebony
kleeman suck! i was planning on purchasing stuff from them.... not anymore!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:04 AM

S430
The word "cracked" just gives me chills.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Apart from this sentence which could have been more tactful - This forum serves many fantastic purposes to the MB enthusiast community- what I dont think it was intended to be was a format for purchasers of 2nd hand/used parts to air their complaints about the manufacturer of those parts. It seems as if a fairly major component of this story was left out-, Kleemann have addressed the 'problem' with their product ie. It isn't covered by their warranty, fullstop.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me that they state their warranty policy openly. In addition they offer an explanation which might explain the failure.
Whether or not a mounting problem is to blame it does highlight the need for other users of Kleemann headers (? and other brands) to check that they were installed correctly.
Its a pity this happened to a fellow member.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
It seems odd to restrict coverage to only the original owner.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
restricting coverage

That doesn't seem odd to me ...

As to the rest, I've mosty heard good things about Kleemann with the exception of the headers ...

Again, one of my primary reasons for going to Renntech was because of the installer for both parties.

"what I dont think it was intended to be was a format for purchasers of 2nd hand/used parts to air their complaints about the manufacturer of those parts"
Yeah this is the part that, to me, could have been left unsaid.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by AMG_Power
kleeman suck! i was planning on purchasing stuff from them.... not anymore!
Don't think like that..., their products are great and they are among the top tuners, just happens I had to be the lucky one with the problem. Don't worry you are a first user lol! you will have warranty. heheheh
Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Mig,
I just got back in town and I can't believe what I am reading. You are 100% correct and did nothing wrong. Why Kleemann would choose to come at you like that makes no sense to me, but if you want the number to my guys at Renntech let me know.....
Frank...thanks for the support buddy!! Hope the bahamas were as great as my backyard, hehehe, If I switch over to Renntech then there would be no fun in racing you would there? lol! that's what makes this little thing exciting, the renntech stage 5 Vs. the Kleemann Stage 4!!!, hehehhe, I will let you know if one of these days I cross over to the other side, for now I am sticking with kleemann..When is our Captree meet????
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by SLK55R
That doesn't seem odd to me ...

As to the rest, I've mosty heard good things about Kleemann with the exception of the headers ...

Again, one of my primary reasons for going to Renntech was because of the installer for both parties.

"what I dont think it was intended to be was a format for purchasers of 2nd hand/used parts to air their complaints about the manufacturer of those parts"
Yeah this is the part that, to me, could have been left unsaid.
+1...we all learn from our mistakes I am sure after reflecting on this word Brandon thinks differently. I hope he does!!!