W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C63 be faster than E63/CLS63? Does that bother you E63 owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
You Texas folks getting hammered with rain right now? Is'nt hot and dry season down there?

Im going against the majority here,I think they will detune the C63's.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
C63 Power vs E63/CLS63

I think the C63 will have the same EXACT engine as all the other 63 models, but there will be minor detuning: ecu, exhaust, maybe a smaller intake.... all items that can be EASILY re-tuned by RennTech or Kleemann or any of the big tuners.

Therefore, whatever extra power the tuners can get out of the e63s and cls63s, they'll be able get out of the C63s as well.

So yes, I think (for the next 2 years) the C63 will be as fast (if not faster) than the e63 and cls63 because of same engine, same power, but less weight.

I don't think this will bother many E63/CLS63 owners at all simply because they choose the car based on many factors not just speed or power: bigger size, better looking shape, more and better options, higher quality, etc...
Old 06-03-2007, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
Maybe our two cars should meet each other over a cup of coffee or something. Like maybe when it quits raining?
IF it stops raining!! Sheesh, this crap's driving me nuts....feel like I'm living in England, and forget about keeping the car clean!!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
You Texas folks getting hammered with rain right now? Is'nt hot and dry season down there?

Im going against the majority here,I think they will detune the C63's.
Normally it would be hot and dry now. This is the year we catch up on all the lack of rain in years past.

Now back to the class, boys and girls. Well, if the C63 is faster than the E63, so what? The Lexus IS350 is faster than the Es350, the GS350, and probably faster than the LS460. There is more to a car than just straight line acceleration. After all, it is going to be a C class, not an E, CL, S, or SL. Which would you rather have?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Improviz
It's entirely dependent upon how many Doppelbocks the assembler had over lunch!

Well, there you go, then!

I figure that the C63 will suffer the same problems as the CLK: T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N!! As long as these jerkwads at Mercedes continue refusing to do the same thing their competitors at BMW do, which is to give their flagship sports sedans/coupes limited slip diffs, these cars' off-the-line performance will suffer, along with their performance at the track.

One hopes that they will, at least, have the courtesy to make it a bloody option, although at these price points, it should be standard, full stop. GMs costing far less have this, and so should they, the tightasses (major pet peeve of mine, in case you can't tell! ).

i drove the clk63 at the challenge and that car had the esp going off in a 80-90mph sweeper, horrible traction
hopefully i get my dvd soon and ill post the vids

its funny, at least to me, how you can pay extra to get a performance package on a performance model

they just like milking people
Old 06-03-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
Normally it would be hot and dry now. This is the year we catch up on all the lack of rain in years past.

Now back to the class, boys and girls. Well, if the C63 is faster than the E63, so what? The Lexus IS350 is faster than the Es350, the GS350, and probably faster than the LS460. There is more to a car than just straight line acceleration. After all, it is going to be a C class, not an E, CL, S, or SL. Which would you rather have?
ill take the c
Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Originally Posted by AMG_55
i drove the clk63 at the challenge and that car had the esp going off in a 80-90mph sweeper, horrible traction
That's interesting. The CLK63 cab weighs almost as much as the E63, the difference is only ~100 lbs. What is the weight distribution like? Is the rear of the CLK just really light?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
That's interesting. The CLK63 cab weighs almost as much as the E63, the difference is only ~100 lbs. What is the weight distribution like? Is the rear of the CLK just really light?
it felt like it was MASSIVELY undertired and rolled more, i guess since it doesnt have airmatic there is more weight transfer and the inside wheel become way too unloaded
my clk55 felt better than my my moms e55 though
Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_55

its funny, at least to me, how you can pay extra to get a performance package on a performance model

they just like milking people
Yeah, absolutely...at a time when both the Camaro SS and the TransAm, both of which were in the $30K range, came standard with LSDs (and Mustangs, and even competition like the M3/M5), the idiots at Mercedes sold my $72K CLK55, nearly 390 lb-ft of torque, on 245 series tires, with no limited slip!! Morons....I really came close to walking on that alone, and probably won't be buying another AMG until they come standard.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I hope the C63 has the same motor and is quicker than the other 63's.. I also hope that by the time my E55 is out of warranty MB will come up with something for me to buy in E class that has more power than the current 63 motor..... we need an E65!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
As AMG_55 said, it's about weight transfer. When you throw the car into a corner, weight transfers to the outside (the side of the car opposite the apex), and the resulting body roll lightens the load in the inside tires. This dramatically lessens the traction available to the rear wheel. And what an open diff does is to transfer the power to the wheel with the least traction, so in a high-torque car like an AMG, you can get snap oversteer in a heartbeat unless you leave the traction control on and kill all of the fun (and your lap times).

A limited slip diff, otoh, which should be standard on a car like this, transfers power to the wheel with the most traction, which helps lap times, and is one of the main reasons--if not the main reason--that the BMW M cars typically get better lap times than their AMG counterparts.

Sad, but true....the jerks at Benz really should take care of this, but they don't.