TPMS Question: Wrong side?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
TPMS Question: Wrong side?

OK guys.... I just replaced my tires.... then I adjusted the pressure myself and came to realize that the display showed the wrong side of measurement on the rears...

So RR on the display is actually measuring RL. And RL on the display is actually measuring RR.

Anyone knows how to fix this? I tried to reset it and it's still like that. If possible, I don't want to go back to the tire shop and have them switch the rims.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Drive around for a few days and they should all recalibrate. I have similar problems twice a year when I switch to snows in the fall and back to summer tires in the spring.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 PM

S211 AMG
Originally Posted by xraymd
Drive around for a few days and they should all recalibrate. I have similar problems twice a year when I switch to snows in the fall and back to summer tires in the spring.
how does it know which sensor is where? The reason I ask is I'm about to install new ones into my HRE's. I assumed that there would be a sensor located in the local area looking for the TMPS installed in the wheel. It's a little odd that there would be cross talk across the rears.

I should really read up on this and understand what's going on...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:33 AM

1999 C43 White/Oreo
tpms are learned to each corner

The TPM are learned to each corner... Whenever i do a set of rims i mark the sensors im im going to dismount all the tires at once... or i do one at a time... If you put them back in the wrong spots, you have to go into the TPMS via Star Diag... Read the sensors and re-initalize the system to where the sensors are currently..... Each sensor has a serial number (like a cell phone, kinda), and thats how the car knows which one is where.....I know, its has happened before....

Good luck....
Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Thanks for the info AutoAddiction. Learn something new everyday
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I hate my TPMS- supposedly two sensor's batteries are bad and the entire system is not working? The dealer tells me that the system wont work without the sensors having good batteries but then I have heard elsewhere that the system should always work and if the batteries are bad you will just get a slash on the readout where you would normally get a PSI rating.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AutoAddiction
The TPM are learned to each corner... Whenever i do a set of rims i mark the sensors im im going to dismount all the tires at once... or i do one at a time... If you put them back in the wrong spots, you have to go into the TPMS via Star Diag... Read the sensors and re-initalize the system to where the sensors are currently..... Each sensor has a serial number (like a cell phone, kinda), and thats how the car knows which one is where.....I know, its has happened before....

Good luck....
Damn... this is what I'm afraid of.... every single transmitter has their own "code".

If the receiver needs to learn, I think resetting them should do it. Indeed, I reset it twice already and the problem's still there.

I now just need to remember that RL on display means RR and vice versa until I replace my tires again and/or the battery is dead

But to see this from a brighter side, it allows you to see:
- Whether your tire shop is a dumb a$$ - putting wrong wheels on the wrong side, especially front vs. rear
- Whether your tire shop rotates the tires correctly (if you don't have directional tires)

Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
We'll try to fix the TPMS for you on Monday, since we are dyno-ing the car for you Zoink.

Adam
Old 06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Adam!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Originally Posted by AutoAddiction

Good luck....
Nope. I've swithched wheels multiple times. The sensor positions are learned by antennae near each wheel. I've swapped left and right, the system figured it out. I had a wheel damaged by road debris. Until I got a new wheel in, I put one of my snow tires on in its place. My snow tires are on separate rims with separate TPMS sensors. The winter wheel had last been on the front of the car and I was now putting it on the right rear (snow tires not staggered). It took most of a day with about 45mi of highway driving, but the TPMS system figured it out. There's no need to go to Star Diagnostics. If you order TPMS sensors from TireRack, they all come with the same frequency. Clearly the system is using proximity and not frequency to figure out where signals are coming from.

As far as batteries, I remeber a couple of years ago Scorchie saying they're only good for 4 or 5 years. When I had my temporary spare on (no sensor), I could still get readings for the other three tires.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We'll see.... I'll drive the car this weekend and report back