Sponsored by:

Mod Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Question Mod Question

I have modified just about every vehicle for power that I owned. However with E55 I am having seconds thoughts.

Here's my thought on the matter: I am having severe traction problems as it is. My ESP goes off at 60 mph when I floor it. I can't accelerate without leaving tracks with ESP off. I can't make a turn without ESP lighting up or fish tailing. In fact, no matter what I do the ESP goes off or my rear is all over the place.

Now, if I am not racing quarter miles, will I in fact lose performance in daily day driving with even less traction and difficulty putting down power to the ground?

I have no problem modding... I would just hate to be pissed off if my car won't be able to do anything well other than show high dyno #s or low 1/4 times burning through rubber. Bragging rights are cool here... but somewhat useless in real world (no offense).

The worst, I do not want to make excuses for losing a simple street race because I couldn’t hook up or have too much low end torque.

Thoughts... or am I nuts and should just mod the hell out of it (to the best of my financial ability)?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Sounds like you need better tires.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 AM

2006 WHITE RENNTECH E55
Mod The *** Out Of It. And Yes Get Other Tires
Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
I have modified just about every vehicle for power that I owned. However with E55 I am having seconds thoughts.

Here's my thought on the matter: I am having severe traction problems as it is. My ESP goes off at 60 mph when I floor it. I can't accelerate without leaving tracks with ESP off. I can't make a turn without ESP lighting up or fish tailing. In fact, no matter what I do the ESP goes off or my rear is all over the place.

Now, if I am not racing quarter miles, will I in fact lose performance in daily day driving with even less traction and difficulty putting down power to the ground?

I have no problem modding... I would just hate to be pissed off if my car won't be able to do anything well other than show high dyno #s or low 1/4 times burning through rubber. Bragging rights are cool here... but somewhat useless in real world (no offense).

The worst, I do not want to make excuses for losing a simple street race because I couldn’t hook up or have too much low end torque.

Thoughts... or am I nuts and should just mod the hell out of it (to the best of my financial ability)?
2 things....G force tires and LSD...it will make it stick to the pavement like glue!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Lsd
Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
2 things....G force tires and LSD...it will make it stick to the pavement like glue!
well not like glue but alot better!
i bet you still have the stock tires on it????? at 60 you light might be goin on but your tires are not spinning. driving with out esp is hard you cant mash the gas. mod the hell outta it and have fun.
1 pully ecu
2 colling upgrade
3 headers
4 lsd
5 80mm TB
6 light weight rims and rotors
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i know what they say about assuming but i'm going to do it anyways and guess that you live in lv per you screen name. i don't think it will matter what tires you have or even if you upgrade to an lsd, the streets in vegas are the worst i've been on as far as traction is concerned.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 AM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Tires are stock, but brand new in the rear... would switching them out make that much difference, perhaps 275s?

Originally Posted by Jrocket
Sounds like you need better tires.
How much was that in parts and labor again?

Originally Posted by BO55
Lsd
You're right... about both. I have no clue what the deal here in Vegas is with the roads. They are almost glossy...

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i know what they say about assuming but i'm going to do it anyways and guess that you live in lv per you screen name. i don't think it will matter what tires you have or even if you upgrade to an lsd, the streets in vegas are the worst i've been on as far as traction is concerned.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 PM

2006 E55 AMG
There are some "sticky" street in Vegas so you have to choose wisely if you're going to throw down a challenge.

As far as the traction issue goes, you just have to learn how to launch. I've found now that having the sprint booster keeps me from wanting to mash the throttle down when racing. I know the response is going to be much faster so now I can feather the pedal a bit before I really get into it. It's a beautiful thing! My car launches so much better, even with my bald 265 Conti's. Practice, practice, practice...oh and mod your car to death!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Unless you are taking your car to a track (and not a drag stip) I think an LSD is a complete WASTE of money. I have mods done to my car and I have gone from stock tires to PS2s to Toyo RA1s. Even with the PS2s, I couldnt get rid of that yellow flickering light. It was very annoying pulling out into traffic and noticing that light start to flicker. Now with my Ra1s, epecially in the summer time, I can't remember the last time I saw that light flicker. As a matter of fact, I even turned my traction control off the the day just to make sure that it still works.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Wow, that's a bald statement! So you would recommend the RA1 (275?) Vs. LSD for daily driving? If that's the case... then I'll do it in a heart beat!

Originally Posted by SleeperX
Unless you are taking your car to a track (and not a drag stip) I think an LSD is a complete WASTE of money. I have mods done to my car and I have gone from stock tires to PS2s to Toyo RA1s. Even with the PS2s, I couldnt get rid of that yellow flickering light. It was very annoying pulling out into traffic and noticing that light start to flicker. Now with my Ra1s, epecially in the summer time, I can't remember the last time I saw that light flicker. As a matter of fact, I even turned my traction control off the the day just to make sure that it still works.

Last edited by DirtyVegasMB; 06-08-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
Wow, that's a bald statement! So you would recommend the RA1 (275?) Vs. LSD for daily driving? If that's the case... then I'll do it in a heart beat!
RA1s are track tires and will wear fast, but very good tire. you dont need a LSD yet wait untill you get some mods first. right after tires get you a pully and feel the difference.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i'd recommend the toyo t1r's over the r1a's for daily driving and occasional rips. they're street tires instead of r compound tires providing better initial grip without having to get them warm and better grip than any other street tire i've been on so far.

i've mentioned this before, but i've cut 1.71 60ft times on toyo's street t1r's and i'm willing to bet r compounds aren't going to give enough of an improvement (if any) to warrant the reduced tread life.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
i'd recommend the toyo t1r's over the r1a's for daily driving and occasional rips. they're street tires instead of r compound tires providing better initial grip without having to get them warm and better grip than any other street tire i've been on so far.

i've mentioned this before, but i've cut 1.71 60ft times on toyo's street t1r's and i'm willing to bet r compounds aren't going to give enough of an improvement (if any) to warrant the reduced tread life.
i have the t1rs only cuzz there wasnt anything better for a 20in rim. not to impressed with them but our cars do have tons of tq so how good can a tire be. my next tire is gonna be the new p-zeros or the potenza RE01R