W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Dome and Map Lights Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 04:49 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Dome and Map Lights Off

I just noticed today, as a friend was pushing all of the buttons in my car, that my map/reading lights in the front don't turn on when pushing either of the two buttons. If I press the buttons down the middle of the light assembly the lights both come on. I checked all the settings on the dash and everything looks normal.

I recall having a hard time figuring out the configuration to make the dome light turn on when opening my front doors but now cannot figure out why the lights don't turn on with the switches or domelight switches.

Is it because I am trying to turn them on during the day and it is bright out?
Old 06-09-2007 | 07:28 AM

18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
try it with your main lights set on auto... (I dont think that mine come on unless it is dark outside...
Old 06-09-2007 | 08:59 AM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Originally Posted by cyclrder
try it with your main lights set on auto... (I dont think that mine come on unless it is dark outside...
Yup! Had a feeling it had to do with the light sensor so I drove my car into the garage and voila dome light came on with the opening of the door. Very interesting because my illuminated door sills light up every time the doors open regardless of light or dark out.

As far as the map lights, the buttons do turn on lights, just not the ones that light up for the dome, but rather the ones that are under the rear view mirror. Interestingly the lights under the rear view mirror are hyper white!

Thanks for the insight!
Old 06-09-2007 | 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Originally Posted by mprsev
Yup! Had a feeling it had to do with the light sensor so I drove my car into the garage and voila dome light came on with the opening of the door. Very interesting because my illuminated door sills light up every time the doors open regardless of light or dark out.

As far as the map lights, the buttons do turn on lights, just not the ones that light up for the dome, but rather the ones that are under the rear view mirror. Interestingly the lights under the rear view mirror are hyper white!

Thanks for the insight!
Bingo...you have the map lights under your rear view mirror...the big button in the center turns on the two larger lights that most would think are your map lights...you also have a button that turns on just the back dome light and a door override button as well.