Engine needs a rebuild. What to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
i didnt say they have to be responsable they did. well at least my renntech has a 2 year warranty if their parts cause any damage they will fix. i am sure K is the same thing execpt they have 1 year.
From their website:

What kind of warranty is provided by KLEEMANN? *

All KLEEMANN products are covered by a one year guarantee. In the unlikely event of a component failure, KLEEMANN offers a 12 month warranty period fro all components fitted correctly. Upon installation, the compressor and its parts are guaranteed by KLEEMANN for 12 months or 100.000 km/60.000 mls, whichever occurs first. Extension of the guarantee period will take place according to the law in the respective country where the product has been sold. Your local KLEEMANN dealer will be pleased to give you all the information applicable to your conversion
They warranty THEIR PARTS when fitted correctly, not your engine, or your transmission.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I fail to see why an aftermarket performance company should be held responsible for someone's engine blowing up after 8,000 miles. That's the risk you run when you mod your car, they make absolutely no claims that the car is just as solid as before. More power= more heat and more stress. The M113 in supercharged form is terribly inefficient and any mods that increase power shoud be complimented with mods that increase cooling.
We just went through this with our pickup. It's a 2003 Ford F-250 super duty with the dreaded 6.0L diesel engine. We put the Banks six gun system on and within 1 year the turbo went out. (2nd time-once pre-Banks) The dealership fixed it under warranty but not without a fight. A year later, the turbo went out again. Again, they replaced it but it was a heck of a fight. We argued that the turbo went out before we installed the Banks system so obviously it's a flaw in the design. (Well documented with this engine) Well, right on schedule, the turbo went out again within a year. This time, Ford said, "Shove it!" So $2,800 later we have it back, sans the Banks system. Banks would not stand behind us. They cite the Magnus-Moss act but if you do your research you'll see that it primarily applies to aftermarket items such as fluids and other maintenance stuff. The moral of the story...if you mod your vehicle, you're on your own. Take the good with the bad.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Here is one.

They can't repair your engine for less than $16,000??

The dealer can tell you "buy a used engine" all they want... There just isn't an abundance of these around. Good luck with whatever you decide..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWD1V
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
From their website:

They warranty THEIR PARTS when fitted correctly, not your engine, or your transmission.
wow that sucks! id still make them prove the K parts caused the problem!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 PM

06 E55
I have a wrecked 04 E55 with complete drivetrain with 20k miles I would be interested in selling. I was going to put the shell and drivetrain on ebay but would be willing to part out. These drive trains pop out rather easy, a good indie shop should be able to do a swap within a day.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Did it suck water? Rods generally don't just bend on their own.
It might have run too lean, too much advance on low octane fuel and detonated. The ECU caused it for sure, as the tuners would have narrowed all the safety margins to get the maximum performance out of it.
It really is a very strong engine or it would have done the big end bearing as well and thrown a broken conrod through the engine block.
I have seen this happen, and it ain't pretty!
Sorry about you loss, man, it won't be cheap to fix!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
what would happen if you bought a CPO E55 from a Mercedes dealer that had a pulley/ecu already installed and the motor blew?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Give Al @ CPT a call, he could give you a 2nd opinion.

(708) 343-8677

Failures on these motors have been pretty damn rare.
I hate to say it but tuners say the weak point in the motor is the piston. I know of a couple cars that have cracked the pistons due to modifications. Oddly this is the third K2 car to go ka-boom in the last 6 months.

To bust the whole motor like that it was either really abused or it was completely out of tune.

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that Kleemann has some really poorly tuned ecu's running around as all 3 seem to be motors damaged by really bad detonation. One one car kleemann told the owner that the knocking sound (detonation) was just the cat rattling around under load. Well couple months later that motor had a cracked piston caused by really bad detonation. The heads on that car were also shot. Seals were toast and the heads needed machining.

Have your shop look more closely at this issue. Do a compression test on all 8 cyl. and have the head inspected. Re-building the head and replacing the one bad piston could be a whole lot less expensive than re-building the whole car. It would be really odd if all 8 pistons were bad. Piston 5 is normally the first rod to crack.

In a couple cases people suspected a bent rod on some motor (due to really low compression in one cyl) but both motors had cracked pistons -- cracked between the two piston rings. This crack caused the low compression and not a bent rod.

Modded cars are amazingly fast when tuned well but sometimes things go wrong. This looks like a 30k+ repair bill!

Was this issue maily AFTER the recall? This could be the issue.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 06-27-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Fikse
what would happen if you bought a CPO E55 from a Mercedes dealer that had a pulley/ecu already installed and the motor blew?
If you could prove the car was modded at the point of the CPO being issued, the issuing dealership would have to warranty the car and repair the motor. The warranty openly states no mods are allowed on a CPO car.

I just cant see a dealership putting such info in writing as it would almost for sure cost them a whole lot of money if the factory ever found out. In that case its not MB's fault. The buck would stop at the shop who inspected and certified the car.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:05 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I hate to say it but tuners say the weak point in the motor is the piston. I know of a couple cars that have cracked the pistons due to modifications. Oddly this is the third K2 car to go ka-boom in the last 6 months.

To bust the whole motor like that it was either really abused or it was completely out of tune.

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that Kleemann has some really poorly tuned ecu's running around as all 3 seem to be motors damaged by really bad detonation. One one car kleemann told the owner that the knocking sound (detonation) was just the cat rattling around under load. Well couple months later that motor had a cracked piston caused by really bad detonation. The heads on that car were also shot. Seals were toast and the heads needed machining.

Have your shop look more closely at this issue. Do a compression test on all 8 cyl. and have the head inspected. Re-building the head and replacing the one bad piston could be a whole lot less expensive than re-building the whole car. It would be really odd if all 8 pistons were bad. Piston 5 is normally the first rod to crack.

In a couple cases people suspected a bent rod on some motor (due to really low compression in one cyl) but both motors had cracked pistons -- cracked between the two piston rings. This crack caused the low compression and not a bent rod.

Modded cars are amazingly fast when tuned well but sometimes things go wrong. This looks like a 30k+ repair bill!

Last edited by FlyByNight; 06-27-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
what's the previous owner's take on this?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by Eurosport
what's the previous owner's take on this?
Whatever he sold it for plus avoided repairs....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Sounds like this car was dodgy from when u bought it ... but anyway ... bygones as I guess the guy who sold it is claiming "too bad".

Looking on the bright side ... you have a decent opportunity here - assuming you want to do this - of getting stuck into that motor ripping it up and rebuilding it a-la finny and make a real monster... there is one caveat on this and that is you need to ensure the heads, block and crank is OK. If they are fine: Happy Days!! and off to tool town you go... more than this and the bill climbs pretty quickly ...

I would still like to know exactly what wrong with the car... as a disentigrated fuel pump does not cut it for me ... is there no secondary filter btwn the pump and the injectors? If parts of the pump got into the motor (would injectors not clog up first?) the sleves are going to be toast. Also I can't see how they can say rods are bent without opening here up completely. Cracked pistons fine any scope can show you that but rods ???

You probably need to get it running agn to get a decent value out of it and since you going to be ripping the motor up may as well go to town I say if you gonna keep her.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
I dont think MB can CPO a car without returning it to stock form.....
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Check out this thread..seller has a few up for sale

http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/view...?p=71101#71101
Old 06-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
The car would not be covered under CPO.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Check out this thread..seller has a few up for sale

http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/view...?p=71101#71101
HMMM,

I cannot seem to connect to that link.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevebez
Sounds like this car was dodgy from when u bought it ... but anyway ... bygones as I guess the guy who sold it is claiming "too bad".

Looking on the bright side ... you have a decent opportunity here - assuming you want to do this - of getting stuck into that motor ripping it up and rebuilding it a-la finny and make a real monster... there is one caveat on this and that is you need to ensure the heads, block and crank is OK. If they are fine: Happy Days!! and off to tool town you go... more than this and the bill climbs pretty quickly ...

I would still like to know exactly what wrong with the car... as a disentigrated fuel pump does not cut it for me ... is there no secondary filter btwn the pump and the injectors? If parts of the pump got into the motor (would injectors not clog up first?) the sleves are going to be toast. Also I can't see how they can say rods are bent without opening here up completely. Cracked pistons fine any scope can show you that but rods ???

You probably need to get it running agn to get a decent value out of it and since you going to be ripping the motor up may as well go to town I say if you gonna keep her.
Hi Steve,

The car did not have any issues with the fuel pump. The pulled the pistons and there are five that are bad. It looks like the rods are fine.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Yes, my dealer has had a few other cars with piston damage. The car has been there on and off since I picked it up. It blew a large puff of smoke the first morning I started it. I had this happen to my 996 turbo occasionally so I called the previous owner. He said that he had this happening too so I assumed it was just normal. The other thing that they found was the air filter was soaked with oil.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by 996ttr
Yes, my dealer has had a few other cars with piston damage. The car has been there on and off since I picked it up. It blew a large puff of smoke the first morning I started it. I had this happen to my 996 turbo occasionally so I called the previous owner. He said that he had this happening too so I assumed it was just normal. The other thing that they found was the air filter was soaked with oil.
Its not abnormal for a 55k to smoke a bit on start up and its most common on say a warm start when you have let warm oil sit in the engine for about an hours time. Some cars do it once in a while but my E55 does not. I had an old S55 that did that now and then but it lasted just fine for 49k miles until I sold the car.

Good luck with the car. I dont know what I would do if that were my car. There are a lot of options but none seem that great.

Does your insurance cover motor damage? Maybe a claim on your insurance would be better as they would just pay for an entire new MB crate motor instead of a re-build job that could go wrong down the road.