W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NetStar VMI - Can you help decode these?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NetStar VMI - Can you help decode these?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums, and I'm purchasing an E55 most likely within the next week. I've narrowed it to a handful of vehicles, although located across the country. This one is relatively close, and I would fly in and pick it up next week.

2004 E55, ~31,000 miles, Certified. Pano roof, Keyless Go, 6CD, Ventilated/Dynamic Seats, Rear sunshades, power trunk, etc.

I had them send me the service records, as it was originally purchased from this dealership and is a 1 owner car. There are 4 battery electrical faults on it, and 3 pages of service records.

Would some of you that are familiar with the E55 maybe take a look at the image links on this message and decipher some of these for me? It seemed like a pretty lengthy service list. Note: I have blanked out the dealership info and VIN information.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1297/...6a5a7758_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1163/...96927e4d_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1047/...9f5c5ac1_b.jpg

Many thanks for any help!!
Brad
Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.
That list does look to be pretty long, but its really not. Alot of the item
that were done on the car were campain related. If you look at the top of the first page it has a list of all recalls and campaigns that applied to this vehicle and one of them still needs to be performed, it has a status (open).

Alot of the work on the vehicle was the same as what got performed on the recalls the customer just had issues with the systems malfunctioning before the recalls got released. For example the vehicle got two sbc hydraulic units before the recall to replace the hydraulic unit with an update one got released. Same for the battery control unit the unit kept failing until MB updated the unit and released a recall to repalce all battery units with the new version.

If you look at the last page it tells you when the car was produced (10.09.03)
Which makes it fairly early production. Thats why it has so many recall/campaigns. If you were to look at a VMI from a car make around May, 04 it would only have 2 or 3 campaigns.

Only other work on the car I see was a oil level sensor seal, 2 issues with air suspension, cup holder, trunk release actuator, and a wind deflector.

The only bad thing I see on this vehicle is that it got its first oilchange/service at 15,105miles. Not that great for a first oil change after an engine break in period. Should have been done at 10k. Looking at this VMI the car only had 2 oil changes so far and should be due for the next one in about 3k miles.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 PM

Thank you for the detailed response.

What's the standard oil change interval for the E55?? I know my Porsche was every 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever came first. Crazy stuff.

The price on this car, and it's location (close to me) are very appealing. Although I'm also looking at a Tectite Grey car on the West Coast, it has no pano roof, no keyless go, no motorized trunk, and no ventilated/dynamic seats. Those are big options in my mind.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Oil change intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles Mobile 1 synthetic. 0W40.
The ventilated seats are a great option. So is the keyless go and the motorized trunk. The pano roof may give you some noises down the road. The extended warranty doesn't cover most of interior and trim items. Only mechanical and electrical failures.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 AM

I've been debating the necessity of the pano roof. When I first heard about that option I though it was a must-have. Kind-of on the fence with it right now.

The first oil change at 15k seems a bit excessive to me also. I might walk away from this one and keep looking. That will only benefit me, I think.

Thanks for the response, Dsmed.

Brad
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
If you need any other info just PM me I work at a dealer so I check VMIs over for you and stuff of that kind.