W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Replacing the fan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2007 | 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Replacing the fan

Has anyone on the board tried to replace the factory fan with an aftermarket fan. I am thinking of purchasing this fan, but do not know the measurements of the stock fan. How difficult is it to upgrade the fan.

The manufacturer claims that this fan flows 30% more air and is quieter than most fans.

Perma-Cool 85180 - Perma-Cool Hi-Performance Stainless Steel Flex Fan

Perma-Cool's Best Flex Fan!
Extra wide stainless steel blades with exclusive accelerated pitch angle flows substantially more air at all RPM ranges. The power saving, lightweight construction is available in standard or reverse rotation to fit many vehicles. Ideal for applications where additional cooling is needed, such as vehicles with turbos or superchargers as well as full size trucks and vehicles used for towing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2007 | 11:44 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Frank.. I honestly don't think there is any benefit..

The stock fan (with the -10C fan mod that I told you guys about) + the PTE 160STAT already puts the car below 80C in HOT HOT WEATHER..

We dont have a problem cooling the engine temps down and that fan does absolutely nothing to help cool the intercooler circuit..

Put your efforts somewhere else..

My $0.02.
Old 07-03-2007 | 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Frank.. I honestly don't think there is any benefit..

The stock fan (with the -10C fan mod that I told you guys about) + the PTE 160STAT already puts the car below 80C in HOT HOT WEATHER..

We dont have a problem cooling the engine temps down and that fan does absolutely nothing to help cool the intercooler circuit..

Put your efforts somewhere else..

My $0.02.
Thanks Victor... On to the next idea...
Old 07-04-2007 | 09:11 AM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Thanks Victor... On to the next idea...
I considered this, but for same and different reasons. The idea was to keep the stock electric fan and bolt the flex fan to the water cooler pulley. Clearance is tight on the CL, would probably be tighter on the E55.

In addition to constant low rpm air flow in traffic, the other item I was chasing was increasing the engine load at low rpm and thereby create a situation to cause the SC to be engaged sooner. Flex fans do cause a noticable drag at low rpm (but "flex out" at high rpm). I've ditched that notion though after the RT ECU flash and other items that got me to where I wanted with my car setup.