W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 E63 exhaust and handling, noise levels compared.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
E55 E63 exhaust and handling, noise levels compared.

Well i have maybe 80 miles total on an AMG 63 between the CLS and E. 20 of those miles were on July 3rd with my car.

Since my car got towed back 20 min after i got it they gave me a 2005 E55 with 27k miles as my loaner.

Now 1st off the exhaust is way louder i mean it sounds aftermarket and there is resonance at 2-4k RPM, it actually is annoying me. I racked up 560 miles so far on it. The exhaust is very loud inside and out it causes attention in town.

I do notice after i beat on it the catalyst is rattling in the center, can this be the cause of such a deep drone exhaust note?

Interior noise levels are higher on this E55, the E63 appears to be much better. I wonder if they did update sound deadening on the E63 over the 55.

Also this e55 i have is the fastest stock one i have ever driven, i dont know why, it is a Certified Pre owned i actually wonder if it has something aftermarket on it, its just so hard to control with full throttle. I do know back in the days on the 99 E55 i had some of my friends had them from 99-2002 and i guess some broke in better but mine was sluggish and my partners was a rocket, plus he babbied his during break in, i didnt. I didnt think there would be such a variance between idential cars.

Steering to me feels tighter on the E55 anyone notice this?

Now on the E55 at a stop light if i let off the brake it feels like the brake pedal is massaging your foot it is a strange pulsation then goes away when you step on the pedal again, the 63 never did this, something must be broken.

I will conclude i am having a freaking blast with this E55 i cant stop driving it. I hope my E63 feels this good and more refined when i get it back. Can you imagine if MB dropped like 500-800lbs off the weight of these cars what they would feel like.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
The exhaust on the 55 is definitely not stock. It was way too quiet for me and that's why I did what I did to the exhaust but there is no way it should sound like they way you are describing it...

I had my hands on an E63 for a couple hours. The car feels awesome. Its may not "feel" as fast as the 55 but it's still up there. I think it's because comin from the brute torque of the 55k motor, the 63 motor feels sluggish. But don't get me wrong I think the 63 is fast but doesn't "feel" fast??? Does that make sense???
Old 07-06-2007, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
The pedal massage is the SBC POS brake system ... this is normal be happy you dont have it ... they have a tendency to fail - completely.

The exhaust is either bust or after market - my 55 is too quite for my liking ... something aint right. Tighter steering than E63? ... hmmm my 06 55 felt the same as an 07 63 but I think its quite a close call.

Think that E55 has had some surgery to the motor ...!