Another Benz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Another Benz?

I'm on the hunt for a new car for my wife. I briefly considered another MB, but I just can't think of a compelling reason to buy another new (or lightly used) Mercedes. I don't think the quality of the product, nor the service, is worth the price. I'm not impressed with the interior quality, durability, or reliability of most of their cars, unless you're spending over $100k.

Is the Lexus ownership experience any better? Is there a good Lexus dealer in the DC area (N of the city)?

Anyone here driving a new GS or LS?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a newer Lx470. I love my E55 for power but I sat in a new LS460 on Saturday and I absolutely fell in love with the fit and finish of the interior again. MB can't keep up and like I said I love my MB. If the next Lexus is going to be as good as they say, I am going back and probably for good. I sat in a new S class and Bentley on the same day. I just really can't explain the differences. Maybe it is the atmosphere at the dealer. I just know that being treated right means a lot in the long run. The Lexus brand is the best Luxury manufacturer in my mind and the sales are quickly telling the same story. The new performance F models can't come quick enough.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
I don't mind sticking with the AMG products for me. I absolutely love my E55, but for her the performance isn't an issue. As a matter of fact, she doesn't like driving my E55 because, in her words, "it's just too much car for me".
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Maybe OT but have you seen the videos of the replacement to the supra that will wear a Lexus badge? IT IS INCREDIBLE. The sound it makes around the track is the closest thing to a F1 race car I have heard in a production auto. It left an impression that will probably make me buy another Lexus very shortly. It really was amazing. Oh wait, it is reliable too. What a concept..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShrOWznZbns

Last edited by zxlr88; 07-17-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM

07 BMW X5
Maybe you might want to consider Audi, I love my E55 but also loving driving my A4.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 Audi S4,'04 E55 AMG,'05 Audi A4
Originally Posted by WayneE
I don't mind sticking with the AMG products for me. I absolutely love my E55, but for her the performance isn't an issue. As a matter of fact, she doesn't like driving my E55 because, in her words, "it's just too much car for me".
Have you thought about lookin at some different options in the Audi line up? If you're looking for fit and finish, and comfort - they're pretty good. The A6 is a decent starting point. Of course, it is another German car, so they have their little quirks... I've owned a couple and have been very happy with 'em. Japanese for reliability though...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
I hear you the LExus is a quality product hands down, i wish they made a real sports car that would appeal to me and i hate to admit but i would buy it. I have owned many AMG's BMW M's . Jaguar R' and overall the ownership experiences stink for what your paying for.

When this Lexus F comes id like to check it out. The LS460 has incredible build quality At least these cars wont be service center queens always in the shop. I always admired seeing the Lexus service shop near my home its empty and spotless, they basicaly so basic stuff all day long, very different atmostphere at BMW and Mercedes
Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by zapco98
Have you thought about lookin at some different options in the Audi line up? If you're looking for fit and finish, and comfort - they're pretty good. The A6 is a decent starting point. Of course, it is another German car, so they have their little quirks... I've owned a couple and have been very happy with 'em. Japanese for reliability though...

I don't want quirks. I can deal with that for the performance on the AMG models, but not for a luxurious DD for my wife. I want reliability, solid build quality, no interior squeaks or rattles, no constant electronics quirks, etc
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Wayne, I used to work at Lexus of Silver Spring (A longggg time ago). Let me know if I can do anything for you
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I don't want quirks. I can deal with that for the performance on the AMG models, but not for a luxurious DD for my wife. I want reliability, solid build quality, no interior squeaks or rattles, no constant electronics quirks, etc
Infiniti M45.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I'm on the hunt for a new car for my wife. I briefly considered another MB, but I just can't think of a compelling reason to buy another new (or lightly used) Mercedes. I don't think the quality of the product, nor the service, is worth the price. I'm not impressed with the interior quality, durability, or reliability of most of their cars, unless you're spending over $100k.

Is the Lexus ownership experience any better? Is there a good Lexus dealer in the DC area (N of the city)?

Anyone here driving a new GS or LS?
http://www.lexusofrockville.com/en_US/?s_ocid=pdsrch

Good luck on your search, Wayne.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Thanks, guys.

Ahmad, I'll drop you a line once I visit the dealer and have my wife test drive a couple cars.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 MB E63, 2006 LEXUS GS430
hey there,
i drive a fully loaded gs 430..

the engine is quiet and the ride quality is great. it does have some dash noises at times, but worth the low price. i rather drive a gs430 than a E350 thats for sure
Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Lexus Feedback

Lexus has good products, generally they are very reliable, and most importantly, have EXCELLENT customer service. They are actually rated #1 in customer satisfaction, but of course, their cars are a lot cheaper, so that might part of the reason. Keep in mind though that lexus is still lacking in the engine power category. The power of most of their vehicles is not there yet. Mercedes lets you feel that monsterous torque and engine power while lexus doesn't.

I say get as many test drives as you possibly can. Good luck...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 AM

X5, E320cdi ,E220,R-Royce,Jag MKII and more...
Good luck to find the right one! What will you get her? s-class or smaller car?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by zxlr88
Maybe OT but have you seen the videos of the replacement to the supra that will wear a Lexus badge? IT IS INCREDIBLE. The sound it makes around the track is the closest thing to a F1 race car I have heard in a production auto. It left an impression that will probably make me buy another Lexus very shortly. It really was amazing. Oh wait, it is reliable too. What a concept..

From what I've seen, that car is the LF-A. It isn't a Supra replacement. It will compete with cars like the Gallardo and will have a V10 engine. I've heard that the new Supra will have a hybrid engine or something...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 AM

06 E55 current, M5 Sold, C32 Sold, 330xi Sold
Originally Posted by zxlr88

WOW
Old 07-25-2007, 02:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
I love my E55 too but the wife couldn't care less about the power. Have you looked at the Infinity's? A lot of car for the money and I prefer rear wheel drive which the smaller Lexus's don't have. We just turned in a G35 lease car and I must admit I liked the car a lot and wouldn't hesitate to get another. Not to mention you can get three of them for the price of a new E63.