W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Wife destroyed rear wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007 | 04:20 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
I've been running 295s on the rear for almost 2 years now and have never had the same wiggle as described by some that run the CCW rims. IMHO, there are two types of "wiggle". One is when your drivetrain flexes under power and literally rubs the inside front section (of the rears) onto the subframe. Clearly, that can cause a violent back and forth motion. I have never had that happen, but I think the CCW offset along with PS2s may be the culprit there. Then, there is the differential wiggle that many cars get as they increase traction. The diff basically bounces back and forth between the two sides and there is a very slight wiggle under max acceleration. My M3 did it heavily. It is nothing that will affect anything but smoothness in the twisties. That wiggle I have noted on the E once or twice. They happened to be on some nice rolling launches where it just bit and launched.
I'm sure it has been debated here before, but why would a 295 wiggle and a 285 not? There are two basic differences: size and contact patch. So, does added traction cause the wiggle? I say no, because running 275/35 DRs on the rear gives me GREAT traction and I only get the diff wiggle. Then, there is the size. If the arms are flexing, which I think they do, then you may be rubbing. I've seen signs of that internal rubbing on other cars, but not mine. I try to set the car up with the thought that it will toe in just a bit under load.
The only cure I know of is to make stiffer arms under the car. Obviously, that wil help translate even more power to the ground and at some point, we would find the next weak link, which I suspect may be the diff.
I was referring to the drivetrain flexing and the tires rubbing the subframe. I assumed that this happened to everyone running 295s, and that the issue couldnt be resolved short of a wide body kit or stepping down to 285s.

Can this have something to do with most others running larger rims (and thereby altering the diameter of their wheels). 295s on 20" rims would increase the diameter of the wheel by 13mm. Running the same profile on 19" rims would decrease the diameter of the wheel. I thereby conclude that i have no idea why others wiggle and you dont.

BTW: did you figure out where you got the SL550 rims? Im trying to find somewhere decently priced that'll ship to our side of the pond. I tried my stealer, but we're talking almost $2000/rim which doesn't quite seem fair, given you paid 1/3 and im a damn shot closer to the father land...
Old 07-20-2007 | 04:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by narf
I was referring to the drivetrain flexing and the tires rubbing the subframe. I assumed that this happened to everyone running 295s, and that the issue couldnt be resolved short of a wide body kit or stepping down to 285s.

Can this have something to do with most others running larger rims (and thereby altering the diameter of their wheels). 295s on 20" rims would increase the diameter of the wheel by 13mm. Running the same profile on 19" rims would decrease the diameter of the wheel. I thereby conclude that i have no idea why others wiggle and you dont.

BTW: did you figure out where you got the SL550 rims? Im trying to find somewhere decently priced that'll ship to our side of the pond. I tried my stealer, but we're talking almost $2000/rim which doesn't quite seem fair, given you paid 1/3 and im a damn shot closer to the father land...

Honestly, I think it is a matter of getting the offset correct. Trust me, even mine is CLOSE on both sides. You bring up a good point. I would be leary of changing the rolling diameter, so if I went with taller rims, I'd drop in profile to accomodate that. Others don't mind.

To the best of my knowledge I am the only one that has run them successfully, but I am also the only one willing to stay with 18" rims.

I've run 295/30/18 on those SL550 rims AND on the HRE C21 18X10et42 and NEITHER RUB. The HREs come closest to the subframe. The SL rims are only 9.5 inchers and an et of 37, so they are closer to the outside. In my mind, a 10 inch rim with an et40 - 41 would be ideal.

I have not found where i bought mine. I'll hunt my credit card statements.

Last point, my power is fairly stock, so I may not be generating enough TQ back there to get the flex needed to rub the subframe? That will change here shortly, so I'll address it if it comes about. I will be boosting power, but also adding support to the suspension, so mine may never show the wiggle.
Old 07-20-2007 | 05:16 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Honestly, I think it is a matter of getting the offset correct. Trust me, even mine is CLOSE on both sides. You bring up a good point. I would be leary of changing the rolling diameter, so if I went with taller rims, I'd drop in profile to accomodate that. Others don't mind.

To the best of my knowledge I am the only one that has run them successfully, but I am also the only one willing to stay with 18" rims.

I've run 295/30/18 on those SL550 rims AND on the HRE C21 18X10et42 and NEITHER RUB. The HREs come closest to the subframe. The SL rims are only 9.5 inchers and an et of 37, so they are closer to the outside. In my mind, a 10 inch rim with an et40 - 41 would be ideal.

I have not found where i bought mine. I'll hunt my credit card statements.

Last point, my power is fairly stock, so I may not be generating enough TQ back there to get the flex needed to rub the subframe? That will change here shortly, so I'll address it if it comes about. I will be boosting power, but also adding support to the suspension, so mine may never show the wiggle.

I drove my friends E500 with 20s and my god, i thought my car was a pudding in the twisties. Im sticking with my 18s thank you very much...

Its good to know someone has pulled off the 295s, i might give it a shot aswell. I wont be generating all that much torque aswell. My car is stock. The main difference from you guys is that i feed it Shell V-POWER (99octane) and crisp, cool, nordic air. I dont expect to be warping the drive train anytime soon...

How much grip are you getting from the 295s? I mean, how much do you break the rear loose compared to the stock 265 contis?
Old 07-20-2007 | 06:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by narf
How much grip are you getting from the 295s? I mean, how much do you break the rear loose compared to the stock 265 contis?

The difference is HUGE!! I can launch MUCH better and it recovers from slips much better. Now, I have taken it a step further and am running R-rated 295/30/18s on the HREs and that is just sick. They stick as well as my 275 DRs in a straight line.

I say go for it. It is a sweet setup. While you are at it, don't forget to take your rear wheels and put them on the front, so you can run 265s in the front.
Old 07-20-2007 | 06:57 PM

W211 E55 AMG
I say go for it. It is a sweet setup. While you are at it, don't forget to take your rear wheels and put them on the front, so you can run 265s in the front.
absolutely. thanks for the advice... have to go harass my tire guy to order the "exoticly dimensioned" tires... (theres such a small market for high performance anything in sweden).