Help! Airmatic problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 Audi S4,'04 E55 AMG,'05 Audi A4
Help! Airmatic problem.

So I had put new links in the front of the car, and I went to put a single washer per screw between the rear sensor - everything appeared to be OK but I think my friend opened the door while I had the sensor detached and out of the way. After I connected everything back up, the cars rear end basically went to the ground. I got under the car, removed the washers, and it didn't seem to reset. Is there something I can do to reset this? I didn't think a tiny washer would do this much, let alone render the car undriveable right now.

The suspension isn't throwing any malfunction codes or anything. Would a batter disconnect fix this?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 07:07 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by zapco98
So I had put new links in the front of the car, and I went to put a single washer per screw between the rear sensor - everything appeared to be OK but I think my friend opened the door while I had the sensor detached and out of the way. After I connected everything back up, the cars rear end basically went to the ground. I got under the car, removed the washers, and it didn't seem to reset. Is there something I can do to reset this? I didn't think a tiny washer would do this much, let alone render the car undriveable right now.

The suspension isn't throwing any malfunction codes or anything. Would a batter disconnect fix this?

Thanks

have you tried removing the washers? what happens when you press the raise car button? try disconnecting the battery for a while... hopefully it'll reset itself.

worst case, remove the washers, go inside, practice looking really innocent in front of the mirror, then have the car towed to the stealership, apply your new facial expression and hope for the best.

from what i gather fixing airmatic can be really expensive...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by narf
have you tried removing the washers? what happens when you press the raise car button? try disconnecting the battery for a while... hopefully it'll reset itself.

worst case, remove the washers, go inside, practice looking really innocent in front of the mirror, then have the car towed to the stealership, apply your new facial expression and hope for the best.

from what i gather fixing airmatic can be really expensive...
Yes, I removed the washers immedietly. The washer was very thin too, I am not sure if something got out of whack when the door was opened and the sensor was out of alignment at that time when it tried to do its auto adjusting...

Raising the car isn't really doing anything right now unfortunately. I'll try the battery.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Where did you place the washer in the rear? Most people have bent the bracket a very small amount to achieve a large drop or slotted the bolt holes for the bracket so it can move a millimetre or two - thats enough. I dont know how you used a washer. ?photos?

Check that you didn't re-connect the front arms the wrong way. ie angle (?elbow) down, not angle up.

When mine was too low I got a big red dash warning - 'Car too low' etc
Old 07-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by OzE55
Where did you place the washer in the rear? Most people have bent the bracket a very small amount to achieve a large drop or slotted the bolt holes for the bracket so it can move a millimetre or two - thats enough. I dont know how you used a washer. ?photos?

Check that you didn't re-connect the front arms the wrong way. ie angle (?elbow) down, not angle up.

When mine was too low I got a big red dash warning - 'Car too low' etc
I had put the washers between the plate and the sensor mounting bracket. The washer might have been 1-2mm thick. Like I said it was all good, and no codes had thrown until I put the car in gear. I put the stock links back up front too, nothing has changed.

Not a single light alert has popped in the cars display, no malfunctions, nothing. I can't trigger it to say the car is too low.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Almost a Member!

I had put the washers between the plate and the sensor mounting bracket. The washer might have been 1-2mm thick. Like I said it was all good, and no codes had thrown until I put the car in gear. I put the stock links back up front too, nothing has changed.

Not a single light alert has popped in the cars display, no malfunctions, nothing. I can't trigger it to say the car is too low.
Is it possible the "base" level needs to be reset somehow with a computer? Is there a way to clear any codes that might be thrown that can't be seen?

Does anyone have a picture of the rear sensor, that includes the sensor arm that goes over the axle? The only thing I can think of (not sure how) the sensor is outof whack...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
I think Rafal did a post on this . Search his posts or 'lower' etc
Old 07-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by OzE55
I think Rafal did a post on this . Search his posts or 'lower' etc
Fixed the problem. The sensor arm ended up turning 180 degrees down, turned it and the car is back to normal. (whew)
Old 07-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Fixed the problem. The sensor arm ended up turning 180 degrees down, turned it and the car is back to normal. (whew)
Good news... but as was mentioned above, you don't need a washer for the rear... you can enlarge the hole the bracket screws into just a tad, and slightly move the bracket ever so slightly to get a big drop... no washers necessary...

search for threads on this...

Loren
Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by FlyByNight
Good news... but as was mentioned above, you don't need a washer for the rear... you can enlarge the hole the bracket screws into just a tad, and slightly move the bracket ever so slightly to get a big drop... no washers necessary...

search for threads on this...

Loren
I did see those, but this method (to me) works the best, the drop in the rear is absolutely perfect, and I just put a washer between the plate and the bracket. Dremeling the plate could lead to warranty issues and stuff
Old 07-22-2007, 06:29 PM

W211 E55 AMG
I did see those, but this method (to me) works the best, the drop in the rear is absolutely perfect, and I just put a washer between the plate and the bracket. Dremeling the plate could lead to warranty issues and stuff
so all is good now?

you mean you did the rear without any drilling? The only reason i haven't done the washer method, is because i dont want to drill holes in my car...
Old 07-22-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
I did that once - but got the warning. Suprised you didn't get one.Glad its fixed.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Almost a Member!

so all is good now?

you mean you did the rear without any drilling? The only reason i haven't done the washer method, is because i dont want to drill holes in my car...
Yep! I unbolted the bracket, lifted the bracket up, slipped 1 washer per screw between the sensor bracket and the chassis plate, then tighetened it down. It appears to have lowered the car by about .3 to .5" (I wish I measured :-/)
Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Yep! I unbolted the bracket, lifted the bracket up, slipped 1 washer per screw between the sensor bracket and the chassis plate, then tighetened it down. It appears to have lowered the car by about .3 to .5" (I wish I measured :-/)
very clever!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 AM

W211 E55 AMG
cool stuff.... gotta go lower my car today then
Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Almost a Member!

cool stuff.... gotta go lower my car today then
Yes, looks to be the least obtrusive way - let me know how it works!