Sponsored by:

Powerchip - Who should I use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Question Powerchip - Who should I use?

Who would you recommend for a new powerchip for my 03 E55? I live in Pittsburgh. How is this normally done and what is the cost? Also, how much improvement in performance can I expect?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 AM

E63 amg 2007
will i lose my warranty on my car if i change the chip in the car
Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 AM

2003 E55 K1
Originally Posted by leonenglewood
will i lose my warranty on my car if i change the chip in the car
I don't know if this is your attempt at sarcasm, but my previous post asked if the existing ECU can be reprogrammed. This question is about replacing the existing ECU. If you can't be constructive, get lost.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
I was considering this. Seems like most here think it is not worth it unless you have other mods. You can go directly to Powerchip. You Next day your ECU to them, they flash it and NDA back. I think you are down only a couple of days. They will also give you instructions on how to remove. It is pretty simple from what I've read, but I haven't done it.

If you do other mods later or your dealer reprograms your ECU, they will reprogram it for $100.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 PM

E63 amg 2007
Originally Posted by Coalman
I don't know if this is your attempt at sarcasm, but my previous post asked if the existing ECU can be reprogrammed. This question is about replacing the existing ECU. If you can't be constructive, get lost.
first of all stupid *******
i was not trying to be funny
i really wanted to no about the warrenty
dont try to be a tuff guy behind your computer
im thinking about doing it to my car.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM

2003 E55 K1
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leonenglewood
first of all stupid *******
i was not trying to be funny
i really wanted to no about the warrenty
dont try to be a tuff guy behind your computer
im thinking about doing it to my car.
I apologize. It sounded like you were repeating what I had asked in a previous post to be sarcastic. It really is a good question and one I would like to hear the answer to.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Who would you recommend for a new powerchip for my 03 E55? I live in Pittsburgh. How is this normally done and what is the cost? Also, how much improvement in performance can I expect?

Thanks.
don't get your ECU flashed unless you have a pulley...

its practically worthless.. for the price.

I still don't understand how any ECU tuner can charge over $1k to send files from the computer to a car.

I understand R&D and profit margins, but E55 are discontinued and there everywhere now.By now all the R&D expenses have to be covered. Its all revenue at this point.

I would think if they lower the price to about $600, they will have no problem selling their product.

I can see charging more for the E63 since its a newer car and its the current model.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar

Thanks.
We do E55's. The process is painless and the results are great. With or without the pulley, our clients are very happy. If you want a pulley we can do different sized ones, for varying results.

Our software does not void warranties, because of the process that we use. My personal SL55 has been to the dealer multiple times and has never raised any questions. So, at least with us....we haven't had any warranty issues.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Our software does not void warranties, because of the process that we use. My personal SL55 has been to the dealer multiple times and has never raised any questions. So, at least with us....we haven't had any warranty issues.
No warranty issues if your radio does not work or if your sunroof gets stuck.
HUGE warranty issues if you have engine failure due to bad ECU tune such as detonation, bent conrods, cracked piston landings and even broken conrods going through engine block.
For 25% of the cost of a Powerchip you will get more throttle response and feeling of increased power and torque from a simple throttle mod like the Sprint Booster, without any risk of "overcooking" your engine.

BTW, all the above is from my personal experience, not necessarily only with Powerchip.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I would not bother doing a flash of any kind without further mods. At best, you may want the speed limiter moved, but changing anything else is minimal gains on the E55 (note: E63 has potential simply due to high compression). These cars run pig rich as it is and are starving for AIR. When you get more air running through the system, yes a tune will do wonders. Even then, DEMAND a tune done on a dyno, so that it gives your car the best bang. A generic program that works on my cousin's car in Nebraska is simply not refined enough to give massive gains to just any old fool.

Not to disrespect a sponsor (IngenereAMG), but his statement about warranty is absolutely false. The question was not "will MB find out", but "will the mod void the warranty". The answer is the same as with any mod. It will void the portion of the warranty affected by that mod. So, if you tune an ecu and the car ends up having emissions issues, you are SOL. In some cases, the tuner themselves match the MB warranty, so that the customer is covered, but that is a different story.

I simply had to clarify that point, since I have heard some rumblings at MBUSA that dealers were being asked to check the flash revision on some of the cars back when there was an issue with everyone wanting to run older versions. I do not know where MB's policy is on that enforcement right now, but the buyer should always be told the truth.

As another poster noted, any new flash revision put on it by MBUSA or another tuner will competely replace your "tuned" revision and you will need to have it re-tuned. Again, I emphasize to take it to a tuner that will use a dyno so that it will incorporate any new features added in and still give you the timing, etc that you want, rather than just simply erasing any updates and taking you back to a point in time for $100.

Last thing, go HMS all the way for Powerchip!!